Acne

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 20th, 2006, 11:37 pm

I briefly looked to see if this was already a topic, but didn't see it...
My 5 month old girl is getting pimples on her chin. She's mostly white, so I know her skin is more sensitive. She is fed Nutro Ultra (it's holistic) and has been doing very well on it. Any ideas what is causing this? And should I leave them alone or put Neosporin or something on them? We're not due back at the vet for another month (spay time!!!) and I'd like to avoid another appt if possible.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » March 20th, 2006, 11:37 pm

If they are not red and swollen and she's not in pain I'd just leave them alone.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 20th, 2006, 11:39 pm

Nope, they're just tiny red bumps right now. I shall adopt a hands-off approach to them. :afro: (I know this emoticon doesn't fit, but really, is there ever a need for an afro smiley? I just had to use it.)
pitbullmamaliz

Postby mnp13 » March 20th, 2006, 11:52 pm

no, there is no need for the afro smiley, which is why it is there. :wink:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » March 21st, 2006, 2:56 am

What do you feed her in? She cold be having a reaction to the bowl.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » March 21st, 2006, 6:59 am

yep, plastic bowls can cause allergies and hold bacteria really well :puke:

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » March 21st, 2006, 7:12 am

cheekymunkee wrote:What do you feed her in? She cold be having a reaction to the bowl.

Same thing my vet said. We now use metal bowls and make sure that they're washed frequently. No bully acne here anymore! :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » March 21st, 2006, 8:22 am

I had the same problem with my lab (and my cats). I started washing their bowls (stainless steel) after every meal with hot water and anti-bacterial dish soap.

I also followed my vet's recommendation and bought regular acne face pads at the drugstore (yes, the same ones a human would use), and started just washing her chin after eating (my lab gets food all over her chin while eating), then wiping with one of the pads. Her "acne" cleared up in no time.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 21st, 2006, 1:55 pm

*sheepish grin* We actually just pour the kibble into the corner of her crate. If we don't, about 1 millisecond after eating she'll try to eat her bowl (which, by the way, is a plastic tupperware type container). So unless the plastic from the container rubs off on the food, or she's allergic to the crate, I'm not sure what it would be. They don't seem to bother her though, so I'll just leave them alone for now. Thanks! :D
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Maryellen » March 21st, 2006, 1:58 pm

it could be the plastic pan in her crate that is bothering her chin... also you might want to see if you have any cheap rubber toys around,that usually irritates the chin area too..

and get stainless steel bowls.. ceramic bowls can hold food in too in the crevices
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 21st, 2006, 2:03 pm

Her entire crate is plastic - I really hope she's not allergic to that! The only rubber toys around are her kongs, of which she has tons.
pitbullmamaliz

Postby katiek0417 » March 21st, 2006, 8:34 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:*sheepish grin* We actually just pour the kibble into the corner of her crate. If we don't, about 1 millisecond after eating she'll try to eat her bowl (which, by the way, is a plastic tupperware type container). So unless the plastic from the container rubs off on the food, or she's allergic to the crate, I'm not sure what it would be. They don't seem to bother her though, so I'll just leave them alone for now. Thanks! :D

Are you cleaning out the crate after she eats? This may not be an allergy. Think about why people get acne: dirt on their bodies. That's why people with acne are told to refrain from touching their faces.

Dry food (kibble) has an oil to it (even the best foods leave a "greasy" residue on a bowl). Hence the suggestion to clean her face after eating...but also, if she's laying in the crate, she's likely laying in spots where the food has touched (and, therefore, a "greasy" area)...

Just a thought...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder