Question regarding yard set up for your dogs

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby luvmyangels » March 20th, 2006, 9:37 pm

I am curious as to how everyone has their yards set up for their dogs. Do you have a dog run or a certain area where your dogs go to the bathroom? Right now my dogs have free rein of the backyard which is going to be changing soon but I am trying to get ideas of how to set up the area. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 20th, 2006, 9:40 pm

only part of my yard is fenced, and the dogs have that access from the deck. i have 3 acres and dont have the $$$ to fence the rest of the property in.. they have about a 1/4 acre maybe a little less, but it works for them.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ccc2006 » March 20th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Maryellen wrote:only part of my yard is fenced, and the dogs have that access from the deck. i have 3 acres and dont have the $$$ to fence the rest of the property in.. they have about a 1/4 acre maybe a little less, but it works for them.

yup, money is the problem for many for fencing, including myself. I have trained my dogs to go to the rear of the property, that way the kids aren't playing in urine or if I don't pick up that specific day, I'm not stepping in mine fields :)
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 20th, 2006, 9:53 pm

i used to have a 10 x6 kennel in my yard. jesse never used it.. when my deck was being rebuilt i opened the kennel and had to section off part of the fenced in yard. it actually turned out better because i was able to grow the grass in one spot that needed it badly
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 20th, 2006, 9:56 pm

The kennel yard is surrounded by a 6 foot solid wood fence. It is divided in half by a 4 foot slatted fence, usually that door is only closed for night time turn out when I don't want to be chasing them around the yard at 11pm!! The flooring is crushed gravel. There are 3 large carpeted platforms, a real fire hydrant, and a "dog house" which is just an open covered structure. I'm going to have to get some pics of the kennel yard at some point.

The other part of the backyard, MY backyard, is not fenced. Which sucks. I think I'm going to fence it in with the heavy duty chicken wire stuff so that I can just open the slider door and let Wally out instead of having to leash walk him all the time (he refuses to walk down the stairs to the kennel and go out in the kennel yard . . . brat). He won't even step over most things, so I think a 5 or 6 foot chicken wire fence should hold him just fine.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby luvmyangels » March 20th, 2006, 9:59 pm

Maryellen wrote:only part of my yard is fenced, and the dogs have that access from the deck. i have 3 acres and dont have the $$$ to fence the rest of the property in.. they have about a 1/4 acre maybe a little less, but it works for them.

That must be so nice having big property. Your neighbors are probably far away from you. I wish I had that. My house is situated on a little more that a 1/4 acre of property.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 20th, 2006, 10:00 pm

its great. i have 7 neighbors.. 2 of them have over 15 acres each...

i have grass and dirt in my fenced in yard, cant grow anything but grass, and we just leveled out the yard as the previous owners had an above ground pool in, so we got rid of the railroad ties and leveled out the yard, it was really sloped before..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » March 20th, 2006, 10:05 pm

My deck is sinking into the ground and needs to be redone which we are planning to do it soon. But prior to having it done I have to figure out what type of situation I am going to come up with for the dogs. The two puppies with all the play stuff and bones they have...I have found them chewing my current deck. I try not to leave them out too long because they get bored if I am not out there with them. It is mostly Cookie my Lab Mix puppy that is doing it because I don't like leaving Knuckles outside unsupervised. Sometimes I am overwhelmed between having human kids that are almost 2 & 5 and three furry kids. I need to have 10 arms and eyes in the back of my head.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » March 20th, 2006, 10:06 pm

How nice ME. I am jealous.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 20th, 2006, 10:11 pm

if you look in the paper and on craigs list you might be able to find a 10 x6 kennel. there was one listed here near me, but i cant use jamies pick up to get it, so i lost out.. i used the kennel when my deckwas being redone as i had to walk the dogs around to the other side of the house to put them inthe yard, that might workfor you.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Sue » March 20th, 2006, 10:14 pm

I can't wait till we move next spring... we are in a condo right now - detached - but a very small yard. We are looking specifically for houses with enough land that we can fence in a nice area for the dogs. Right now we can bring them to my SIL's place since her yard is fenced, but Rory wants to eat her 2 dogs, so she usually stays home :(
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby luvmyangels » March 20th, 2006, 10:14 pm

Maryellen wrote:if you look in the paper and on craigs list you might be able to find a 10 x6 kennel. there was one listed here near me, but i cant use jamies pick up to get it, so i lost out.. i used the kennel when my deckwas being redone as i had to walk the dogs around to the other side of the house to put them inthe yard, that might workfor you.

The only other thing I am thinking of is I have a side yard where I can pull the fence further down the side of the house and it would be a nice run area. I am just concerned about them chewing the siding on the house. I just said to my husband if I put them in a run I won't put Teddy in there with him because he would be nuts stuck with them. But they will probably sit and bark at him. Is there ever a happy medium?? :?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 20th, 2006, 10:19 pm

you could always put a fence up against the house so they cant chew it . mine leave the house alone because they are too busy barking at the deer,bear and coyotes and turkeys, and i never leave them out alone.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » March 20th, 2006, 10:29 pm

I can understand why you wouldn't leave them outside unsupervised. I have 6 foot stockade with cinderblocks along the whole bottom of the fence. But I still don't trust them. Teddy loves being outside by himself he just hangs out on the deck. But Cookie and Knuckles stay outside for no more than 10 - 15 minutes and I watch both of them outside and the 2 kids inside the house.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 20th, 2006, 10:30 pm

I have a full fenced yard with the house and garage on one side, 6 foot stockade fence on two sides and 4 foot chain link on the last side. Ruby gets out occasionally - over the 6 foot fence because she is afraid of the chain link :rolleyes2:

as long as they are wached they are fine.

Connor makes a beeline for the spring pole when he's in the yard and Riggs is never off leash back there.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmyangels » March 20th, 2006, 10:31 pm

I also have an ex-racing greyhound next door that is really obnoxious and gets into barking fights through the fence with Teddy.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » March 20th, 2006, 10:37 pm

I have a brillant neighbor behind me that keeps insisting my fence is hers although my yard is wider. The schmo that lived here before us put the good part of the fence facing in and the back part facing out. He wasn't a very nice person. But my point is if my dogs jumped the fence to the people behind us I'd be in trouble because they would get out to a main road.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » March 20th, 2006, 10:37 pm

mnp13 wrote:I have a full fenced yard with the house and garage on one side, 6 foot stockade fence on two sides and 4 foot chain link on the last side. Ruby gets out occasionally - over the 6 foot fence because she is afraid of the chain link :rolleyes2:

as long as they are wached they are fine.

Connor makes a beeline for the spring pole when he's in the yard and Riggs is never off leash back there.

That is sick that she jumps the fence. I would be terrified where I live.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 20th, 2006, 10:38 pm

luvmyangels wrote:I also have an ex-racing greyhound next door that is really obnoxious and gets into barking fights through the fence with Teddy.

Damn loud ex-racing greys!!
*shakes angry fist in air*

*looks over shoulder at own ex-racer who only makes a noise when he is given the command to sing*
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » March 20th, 2006, 10:39 pm

Oh, and about your dogs chewing the siding on your house, get some of the heavy duty chicken wire and put it up with electrical staples. Then it won't be bad looking (unless your house is painted a light color) and it should deter the chewing.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk