BREED GUESS???

Postby msvette2u » February 19th, 2008, 2:51 am

We rescued her - she is missing one entire hoof...

One of her "good" hooves

The one with the missing hoof

She is pretty

Another of the "good" hooves (I got them mostly trimmed up)

They are NOT supposed to be like this

One of the guys at the feed store is going to give me a boot tomorrow for her!
She's standing in straw for now and has copious amounts of vet wrap on her stump...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby LMM » February 19th, 2008, 8:05 am

Awwww good for you!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby SisMorphine » February 19th, 2008, 8:43 am

How painful is it for her to have her feet like that?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby amazincc » February 19th, 2008, 9:00 am

OMG... how does a person let the hooves rot off an animal??? :shock: :x

Sis... they say for horses it's the equivelant of an exposed/infected nail bed - I imagine it's the same for goats. Poor thing... :cry:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » February 19th, 2008, 9:25 am

BLOND LABRADOR!!!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » February 19th, 2008, 9:36 am

:shock: Ouch! Was she an abuse case? :(
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » February 19th, 2008, 10:23 am

When horses stand in dirty, wet stalls, they get thrush. It can eat away at the hoof. Maybe that is what happened to this goat.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby msvette2u » February 19th, 2008, 12:13 pm

I think it may be from thrush or "hoof rot" and her hoof came off.
It's very painful for her. The guy at the feed store is giving me a boot for her today!!! He just told me he'd give it to me, he had some extras :)

She's such a nice goat - but she is an escape artist!! She tore out of her small pen, into the big pen for the others, then into another part of the big pen, thinking she'd escape. I got her back but not before she scared the beejeezus out of the other goats and the chickens!!! It was quite a sight lol

Most people would just say "oh well" and slaughter her. We want to adopt her out if she heals up, or we'll just keep her.

Jenn-she was a stray and some guy called and wanted our help with her. In her condition (I took lots of pics) I doubt we'll have issues keeping her.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Scout » February 19th, 2008, 1:53 pm

oh that poor girl...what a lucky girl for her to find you! You have such a good heart!!
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person. --Andy Rooney
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby Malli » February 19th, 2008, 2:13 pm

wow, will she regrow the hoof?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » February 19th, 2008, 2:39 pm

On February 19 2008, Malli wrote:wow, will she regrow the hoof?

Dang, girl, don't you know!???? (my hopes are dashed now) I was waiting for you to appear and weigh in!!!!

:greenWave:
msvette2u
I live here

Postby DropkickPA » February 19th, 2008, 4:40 pm

Depending on how bad it is, it very well may regrow. There's no excuse for an animal to have hooves in that condition, none at all. :x

Looks like a horrible case of hoof-rot (has a vet diagnosed it? if so, it should get as much air as possible and soaks/baths, and also dietary considerations) and a lot of trimming work ahead to get her back into shape. I'd keep her quarantined until you know the cause of the hoof-loss.

Kudos to you for saving this girl, she looks like a real firecracker!
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » February 19th, 2008, 11:54 pm

On February 19 2008, msvette2u wrote:
On February 19 2008, Malli wrote:wow, will she regrow the hoof?

Dang, girl, don't you know!???? (my hopes are dashed now) I was waiting for you to appear and weigh in!!!!

:greenWave:

I don't do farm animals! :cheeky3:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » February 20th, 2008, 11:59 am

On February 19 2008, DropkickPA wrote:Depending on how bad it is, it very well may regrow. There's no excuse for an animal to have hooves in that condition, none at all. :x

Looks like a horrible case of hoof-rot (has a vet diagnosed it? if so, it should get as much air as possible and soaks/baths, and also dietary considerations) and a lot of trimming work ahead to get her back into shape. I'd keep her quarantined until you know the cause of the hoof-loss.

Kudos to you for saving this girl, she looks like a real firecracker!

She is not right in with our goats but they can see each other through the fence.
I made a bleach solution to squirt her hooves with, it was what our farrier recommended for our horses who occasionally get some thrush in damp weather.
She's on penicillin-g and we dewormed her as well. I may give her some b-complex today as she's had alot happen to her lately!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » February 20th, 2008, 1:17 pm

Poor girl...I love goats. I bet she's happy you found her!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Return to Rescue