My Mama scared the pee out of me

Postby madremissy » February 14th, 2008, 11:51 pm

I just have to write to someone because I just had the scare of my life. My Dad was selected a year ago to be the director of a retreat for their church. It is a very big deal, he was appointed by the Bishop and you only get to do it once in your life. It is in Live Oak, Fl at a church campground and a really big deal.
So anyway, they left today and took the motor home. My mom was going to stay in the campground while Daddy did his thing all weekend. The first dinner and service was tonight.
I was on my cell and it didn't beep so I didn't know anyone was calling. When I got off, my voice mail starting ringing. I listened to the message and all I could hear was my mom crying and breathing hard. It scared me to death. All I could think of was that something was wrong with my dad (he had open heart 2 years ago) and I called her right back. She answered but was still crying. I kept asking her what was wrong and I finally got out of her "I fell". Holy begesit. I kept asking her if she was ok and she kept telling me I fell. I go running in the bedroom woke Travis up and tried to listen to my mom.

Their motor home is HUGE so it is like a bus door. When you come out you come down steps open the door then the automatic steps are supposed to come out. You can set them to stay out all the time or not.
She was taking Tassy out to go to the bathroom before they went to bed.

What she had done was switched the buttons for the lights and I guess made the steps come back in. It was so dark she didn't notice. Now my mom is about 4'10 and tiny. She stepped off the first step into mid air and fell. Probably about 2-3 feet. I guess it knocked the breath out of her and she twisted her ankle. She thought when she called me that she had hurt her back. OMG. My Dad was in the middle of the service so she said not to call him. She was so upset and felt stupid that she didn't want to worry him. Well do you think that stopped Travis from calling. Hell no. He was ready to get in the truck and drive 4 hours to get to her. Daddy luckily answered and said that my sister was still there and he would send her over. Great. my sister treats my mom like she is 150 years old. These two people (mom and daddy) are the most active out going 70 year olds you will ever try to keep up with. So I wait on the phone and my sister gets there and I could just hear my mom saying I am ok. I have called her 5 times since. She is in bed with her ankle propped up and iced down. I am still worried about her because she hit so hard. What about internal injuries or something else. I probably won't sleep at all tonight. Hince the long post. I just had to get it out. Thanks for listening.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Jenn » February 14th, 2008, 11:58 pm

:hug3: I'm sorry your mom fell I hope she is ok, and just a little scared tonight. :goodthoughts:
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 14th, 2008, 11:59 pm

Ugh. What a horrible feeling. I hope mom recovers quickly!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » February 15th, 2008, 7:29 am

YIKES! :shock: I hope she goes to the Doctor today. Older bones are so fragile, and if she is a pip-squeak at 4'10" she must have such tiny bones.

I think the good part is that your Dad is a Director, appointed by the Bishop. He has God on his side!! :greenWave: Surely, that will add points to your Mom!

My parents had a gigantic motor home also. It had a queen sized bed in it. 8) In their 70's they drove from NY to the west coast, and hopped on some caravan with some other people and went to Alaska.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby cheekymunkee » February 15th, 2008, 9:58 am

i'm glad she is ok! She will probably be very sore today since she got such a jar. Poor mom. :cry:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby madremissy » February 15th, 2008, 11:22 am

Thanks everybody for letting me tell you about my mom.

I talked to her this morning and she can't hardly move. Her ankle is all swollen up and she can hardly move around. Yes she is still crying. She said she is just so emotional. She knew how much this meant to Daddy and she did not want him to have something else to worry about. My sister is coming to get her and take her home. They live in Jax so it is not that far. She can't get up and down the steps so she would be more comfortable at home. I tried to talk her into going to the doctor and she said if she is not better by MONDAY she would. Stubborn Mama. My niece and her fiance were coming after the last class today from FSU to spend the weekend with her to support my dad but they are just going to go on to Jax. I just worry about her. At least she will be at home where she knows where all the buttons are :rolleyes2: She couldn't even get the coffee pot to come on this morning.
Thanks for listening once again.
madremissy

Postby Jenn » February 15th, 2008, 2:17 pm

Awwww, hope she's better ASAP and your sister or her fiancee can talk her into going to the doc if it's really bad.
Jenn
undecided

Postby CinderDee » February 15th, 2008, 3:03 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this, Missy. I hope she feels better soon!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby madremissy » February 15th, 2008, 3:34 pm

:rant: >( I am so mad at am sister. Why does she think she is so much better. :x My mom wants to go home but since it is not convenient with my brother-in-law. Cathy (my sister) said she would come stay with Mama in the motor home. :x My mom can't even get up and down the stairs. She needs to go home so it is all on one level. She has all the comforts of home and is more comfortable. My Dad finally had to call my niece and tell her to come get her and instead of staying, pick mama and tassy up and take them home. My dad hates confrontation and is the most easy going person in the world but if I can get my hands on my brother in law right now. :box: OOOOOOHHHHHH. My sister knows how important this is to my parents (the retreat) and she wants to make it complicated. She doesn't even talk to Mama much anymore unless she wants mama to babysit Blake (my nephew). :x :x :x All she is worried about is her inheritance. I wish my parents would spend every dime they have and then we wouldn't have to have this issue. I am so upset. I asked my mama if she wanted me to come stay with her and she said no. Ok sorry for the drama but I am here and I feel helpless that I can't do anything.
madremissy

Postby Jenn » February 15th, 2008, 3:47 pm

:hug3:
Jenn
undecided

Postby msvette2u » February 15th, 2008, 4:08 pm

She was so upset and felt stupid that she didn't want to worry him. Well do you think that stopped Travis from calling. Hell no. He was ready to get in the truck and drive 4 hours to get to her.

Aww your hubby is great :)
I hope your mom is OK and can see a doctor!
:hug3:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby madremissy » February 15th, 2008, 4:53 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I apologize everyone for going off. :dance: I am better now. Travis is coming home to take me and Kinzyl to the park to play and for a picnic dinner. We both need some time to burn off energy. :dogRun: Thanks for putting up with my temper tantrum. :mrgreen:
madremissy

Postby gayrghts » February 16th, 2008, 4:08 am

Going off about your frustration is ok...

I sure hope that mom is ok... and gets to the dr... there are so many complications that can set in as people get older.... if they don't get care rapidly after injury....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby madremissy » February 16th, 2008, 11:14 am

Thanks Heather, She is home now and she is really sore. She won't go to the doctor. She said that she doesn't want to go to the emergency room by herself and sit for 10 hours. :| Her foot has a knot on it and she has some bruising on her back and butt. The neighbor, who is so great to her said she would come take Tassy out for her. You would think my sister would offer to do that BUT :x Daddy will be home Monday morning. He will make her go. She is so tiny and but she is in really good shape and health. Of all weekends that my Dad is gone. They are usually never apart. :cry: I am bugging her to death, I call at least every 4 hours but I am just checking.
Thanks again for everyone's thoughts.
madremissy

Postby hugapitbull » February 16th, 2008, 4:04 pm

Oh, Missy, I'm so sorry about your mom. Glad she was able to get home and has a neighbor that is so helpful.

As for your sister, you know some folks just don't get it, and she must be one of them. There is one in every family!

As for going off, it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Hope you're better now also.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby madremissy » February 18th, 2008, 3:45 pm

UPDATE: My mom broke the bone in her leg. :shock: The fibula bone :? It is a fracture but not moved or something like that. She has bruises all on her arms and legs now. Daddy had her in the doctor first thing this morning. They x-rayed it and put some sort of splint and wrapped it up until she can get into the orthopedic surgeon. She is supposed to call me this afternoon and let me know when that is. They gave her crutches and she is having a hard time with them. Daddy is trying to give her lessons. :backRoll: She is scared now because her whole house now is in tile or wood floors. So she thinks she is going to slip :rolleyes2: She stayed in bed the whole weekend and the neighbor took care of Tassy and my sister actually brought her meals. Imagine that. Now she feels bad because she is supposed to watch Blake (my sister's son) while they go to Purto Rico :evil: but she doesn't know what is going to happen to her. My Dad will be there but he has been going into his company a couple days a week to do the taxes. I might have to go for a visit but she said she would be alright. :| Well that is the latest.
madremissy

Postby CinderDee » February 18th, 2008, 7:12 pm

Oh, poor Mom. :cry: She must have a high tolerance to pain.

My Mom had the same fear of falling, so we got her some of those rugs with the rubber backing. Maybe that will help?

I'm sending good thoughts for a quick recovery!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby madremissy » February 18th, 2008, 7:19 pm

It is a ranch house so you know they have the long hallways to the bedrooms. Well they just had the whole house redone and it is tile but she does have those long rugs down the hall. I just talked to her and she can't figure out which foot to put down and keep her balance. She told Daddy if the house catches on fire to grab her dog and she would meet them out front in about an hour. :rolleyes2: The first doctor has not sent over the written info they needed so Daddy had to call back and check on that. They gave her a CD of the x-rays. Maybe tomorrow?
About the pain thing. She has a high tolerance but a low tolerance to any kind of pain medicine. She can't take it. She about went comatose when she took 1 pain pill when her back was hurt.

Thanks for thinking of her.
madremissy

Postby Asta » February 19th, 2008, 9:24 am

Oh gosh! Poor Mom :cry: But what a tough little Lady :) She must make you very proud, when she doesn´t worry you that is ;) We will send good and healing thoughts her way!

As for your sister and brother in law :rolleyes2: Gotta love family...

Ã…sa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby Jenn » February 19th, 2008, 9:33 am

Wow, can't believe she sat and tolerated that till Monday, hope she heals, and learns her crutches soon!
Jenn
undecided

Next

Return to Two Legged Family Members