who all all works their dog in protection/shc/FR/MONDO etc

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby Dameon » March 20th, 2006, 8:08 pm

I am new to the forum and just wanted to know who works their dog and what sport.
I work mine is schutzhund, SDA, and trained in french ring seminar. He has been trained for personal protection. I have used these different styles to show him more and to make him more rounded.
Dameon
Just Whelped

Postby Purple » March 20th, 2006, 8:25 pm

Pictures?
Purple
I live here

Postby pocketpit » March 20th, 2006, 9:25 pm

You'll find several people on this forum who work their dogs in different styles of sport work.
My personal interest is in ring sport. I have a SBT with a brevet and titled my previous Dobe to a Ring I. Currently I have two other Dobes whom I'm hoping to eventually title.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 20th, 2006, 11:23 pm

I haven't started anything yet, but I'm very interested in getting my girl trained in PP. I've also contemplated weight pulling. And agility. And therapy. And flyball. And pretty much everything. But PP is my top choice, followed by weight pull.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » March 20th, 2006, 11:33 pm

Riggs and I do PSA, Ruby and I do therapy.

I'll also be participating at events put on by K9STS up in Maine with Riggs.

Liz - check out the PSA website, there might be a club in your area.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 20th, 2006, 11:37 pm

Do you know the website right off hand?
pitbullmamaliz

Postby mnp13 » March 20th, 2006, 11:38 pm

Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 20th, 2006, 11:40 pm

Thank you! Sadly, the closest one if 5 hours away. However, I may have to check it out anyway!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby mnp13 » March 20th, 2006, 11:52 pm

well....

how far is Cleveland from you? Cleveland is 4 hours from me, and if you are going to drive that far you might as well come to our club!!!

We'll be having a trial this year and you could come and check it out, meet some people from the forum and have a good time!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 21st, 2006, 12:19 pm

Cleveland is only 30 minutes from me - the only club I saw was in Cinci! Is there one in Cleveland? Now I'm very excited!!!
Is PSA the same thing as PP? Or is it more like Schutzhund?
I'm still exciting hoping there is a club in Cleveland!!!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 21st, 2006, 12:22 pm

Ignore that response above - I was having a brain fart. I believe what you are saying is that your club is local to you, and you are four hours from Cleveland, so I should drive the 4 hours to your club. :idea: :idea: :idea: Sorry, haven't eaten lunch yet so the brain isn't functioning!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby mnp13 » March 21st, 2006, 12:27 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Ignore that response above - I was having a brain fart. I believe what you are saying is that your club is local to you, and you are four hours from Cleveland, so I should drive the 4 hours to your club. :idea: :idea: :idea: Sorry, haven't eaten lunch yet so the brain isn't functioning!

Correct.

If you're going to drive 5 hours anyway, you might as well come and see us!!! :)
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 21st, 2006, 2:00 pm

I may do that....
Is PSA more like PP or more like schutzhund?
pitbullmamaliz

Postby mnp13 » March 21st, 2006, 2:07 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I may do that....
Is PSA more like PP or more like schutzhund?

I feel it leans more towards PP and is nowhere near the patterning of Schutzhund. Of course, there are clear patterns in PSA, but PSA also requires some thinking and problem solving on the part of the dog.

If you really want to see if your dog has the stuff for PP head to a MAD tournament.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 21st, 2006, 2:12 pm

MAD? I just figured out what the heck PP and PSA were! So many acronyms...head going to explode...
Okay, what is MAD and do you have their website? *grin*
pitbullmamaliz

Postby mnp13 » March 21st, 2006, 2:24 pm

MAD - Maine Association of Dogsports, the group Chris started.

http://www.k9sts.com/events/
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » March 21st, 2006, 8:58 pm

I know this will probably peev people off, but I feel like PSA is more "real life." Now, let me follow that up by saying I plan on doing PSA with my puppy, but I will also likely try to title her in Schutzhund...so, no disrespect to all you Schutzhund lovers (trust me, I love watching Schutzhund and am looking forward to competing).

However, Schutzhund is much more well known than PSA. Many dog people have no idea what PSA is, but almost any dog person (even those who have no interest in personal protection) knows what Schutzhund is.

I feel like the protection in PSA is more difficult than that in Schutzhund. In Schutzhund, though, you also have the tracking part (which is kinda cool since many of these breeds are used for police work and part of the police work is tracking). Ironically, the obedience routine used for the BH (temperament test) in Schutzhund, is almost IDENTICAL to that used for the TC (or obedience part of PSA 1).
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 21st, 2006, 10:31 pm

mnp13 wrote:MAD - Maine Association of Dogsports, the group Chris started.

http://www.k9sts.com/events/

Thank you!
pitbullmamaliz

Return to Sports