Lambie's Spay

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby msvette2u » March 20th, 2006, 1:51 pm

Lambie is supposed to go for her spay on Wednesday the 22nd.
They keep dogs overnight. I don't want her kept overnight. I called this AM to ask about this and they said "to watch for negative effects of the anesthesia". I asked "Well is there someone there overnight??" she wouldn't answer me but said it's "policy" to keep them overnight. She said she'd ask the vet if I can bring her home that afternoon/evening. She said she'd ask and "let me know Wednesday AM". I said "No, call me before that so I can cancel my appt. if I can't bring her home".
(I explained I am an ACO who is experienced with sedating animals and "recovering them".)

Am I wrong? What's with keeping an animal overnight if nobody is there to monitor them??
I know some of you are vet techs...help!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 20th, 2006, 1:55 pm

if no one is there overnight to watch the dogs demand she come home with you. if they have an overnight person make sure they will be there, and do a drive by too..
if they dont have an overnight person who is a qualified vet or vet tech either find another vet or make sure she comes home w/ you..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 20th, 2006, 1:57 pm

This sounds very much like the first place I worked at. It was policy, we at the front desk had to go by it, but the vets had the ability to bypass it, so I would speak directly with your vet prior to drop off.

Keeping an animal overnight with no one there to monitor them makes no sense at all. If someone was there overnight, sure I'd leave my dog, no problem! But with no one there I would absolutely be making an appointment elsewhere if your vet can't by-pass this policy . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » March 20th, 2006, 2:53 pm

Uh.. why would the dog need to be there if no one was there anyway? It makes no sense.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » March 20th, 2006, 3:03 pm

More money in it if staying overnight? All of the animals that I've had spayed/neutered were all basically dropped off the morning of ~ around 8ish and ready to go by 4:30 that afternoon at the latest. :|
Jenn
undecided

Postby msvette2u » March 20th, 2006, 3:12 pm

I pointed out that since nobody would be there, it would be better to have her home with us and she said she didn't know but that it was office policy. Apparently she asked the vet and he said she had to stay. I am positive nobody is there at night or she would have said "yes we have someone here overnight". She avoided that question.
I told her that since she was deaf we had a hard enough time crating her at home, nevermind trying to leave her somewhere in a strange place overnight!! She said she understood...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Jesseca » March 20th, 2006, 3:14 pm

Demand to talk with the vet. Then sit on hold until he comes to the phone. That's what I would do :|
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby babyreba » March 20th, 2006, 5:04 pm

you know, i was wondering about this recently. the clinic at the MDSPCA has all the dogs stay overnight, too. that's where i've been taking the rescue pups for their spays and neuters.

and the last pup i took in (snuffy), i asked if i could pick him up the evening of his neuter, and they told me it was policy to keep them overnight or at least 12 hours . . . and i found it a bit odd since they don't have anyone overnight there either, that i'm aware of.

they don't charge for the overnight board, so it's not a money thing with them. it's just kind of an odd policy if they aren't actually observing the dogs . . . :|
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Purple » March 20th, 2006, 5:06 pm

My vet has always let me take them home the same day, just later in the afternoon. I would question the policy.
Or, ask to have the spay done early in the morning, to be able to pick her up as late as possible...
Purple
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 20th, 2006, 5:08 pm

I've never left an animal over night for a spay or a neuter. Justice did stay overnight but she was having surgrey anyway, the vet spayed her at the same time as the surgery.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pocketpit » March 20th, 2006, 5:13 pm

I understand that the policy makes no sense to experienced people or anyone with half a brain. However, speaking from experience I can say that there is a couple of reasons for this and they are all based on stupid people.
I can't begin to tell you how frustrating it is to give folks a lecture on what to expect from their animal overnight, how to properly care for it, etc and then have them call up freaking out about every little abnormality they can find or when their dog vomits because they fed them too much or too soon.
People hear what they want to hear when you talk to them or ignore you because they think they know better than you. It's hard enough to get many people to follow your instructions about keeping the animals less active let alone any other instructions.
So this policy cuts down on a lot of hassle, unecessary phone calls, panic on the owner's part, and creates more compliance because the pet is back to normal by the next day when the owner picks it up. Then all you have to do is concentrate on getting them to understand to keep the animal quiet and when the sutures come out.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby AllAmericanPUP » March 20th, 2006, 7:18 pm

all of my animals spent the night at the vet after getting fixed and there was nobody there. i never had a problem with it and my pets did fine
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby Jenn » March 20th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Every vet or clinic has their own policies, or way of doing things. Is there another vet you could go to and have the spay done? It could as well be a time frame issue? At my vets office spays and surgeries are done early in the morning, hence the oppurtunity to check for issues and allow the dog to recover from the Anethesia? :| Some give pain pills, some offer an optional shot, some don't use sutures at all and require no return visit, or overnight stay. While obviously others do opposite.. I'd speak with the vet personally, and let them know that your more comfortable with her coming home, and being able to take care of her. If it was a 24 hour clinic that had round the clock workers, then I might feel a little differently. Otherwise, personally I'd bring my dog elsewhere if I was uncomfortable with her staying and they couldn't compromise. Good luck :)
Jenn
undecided

Postby msvette2u » March 21st, 2006, 11:59 pm

Thanks for the information, pocketpit! That makes the most sense of all.
Of course I explained to them I'd successfully sedated and recovered a number of dogs in my own line of work but that didn't matter.
I ended up making an appt. locally to us, the other place is farther away but cheaper ($56 there and will be $95, here) but we would still have to make two trips if we went up there and with the price of gas, well...anyway her appt. is now next Friday, the 31st of March. And yes they send them home that evening :)

eta: when we get our dogs we don't opt for the pain shot but we don't feed them either that night, just a little water before bed, usually.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby panda » March 22nd, 2006, 1:07 am

I have always taken mine home the same day and agree given Lambie's special needs and the fact no one will be there she should go home with you. I would do you what you did.
Dead Dog Walking Pit Bull Rescue
http://deaddogwalkingpitbullrescue.org/
panda
Loyally Bully

Postby msvette2u » March 22nd, 2006, 1:33 am

Thanks Christa. And despite my frustration at times with this vet, we do have a pretty good relationship, I do trust her with our animals. :)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » March 22nd, 2006, 3:12 am

At my work, we have about 10 associated clinics wich come in to use our surgery, if the owner requests, or the animal is recovering slowly or seems to need monitoring, they stay overnight, no charge. But we (the Ward Nurses/Vet assistants) are there all night and so is a Tech. and ER Dr.

I agree with Pocketpit, there are other problems too like an animal that is not watched closely loosing balance and injuring itself. It seems either clients are totally oblivious or overreact to the slightest abnormality.

Besides, isn't that why we have all laws and rules? Its because of the stupid people :lol: We all suffer for them....

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pocketpit » March 22nd, 2006, 8:23 am

Good luck Lambie!!
Kimber is going in next month for her spay to I'll get to play the neurotic parent part but thank god I get to be there for the entire thing :twisted: I work in an E clinic but my regular day practice that I use is also co-owned by the same boss so I usually arrange to have him to anything with my pets so I can look over his shoulder and supervise and I get to drag them home when I get them extubated and somewhat awake.

I'd be a wreck if that were not the case :)
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 22nd, 2006, 10:03 am

I was told that Jack needed to stay overnight so they could keep him on IV and check him in the morning (when he cut off his toe in the recliner). No one would be there, and I really did not like it, but they talked me into it. He was fine. I totally trust my vets, they are phenominal, so I just put it in thier hands. Now with a spay, I am not sure if it is the same thing, as she just has to recover from the aneth,there is no IV. Could you ask if you could bring her back the next morning for a check, perhaps, and tell them she will be crated over night?
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby msvette2u » March 22nd, 2006, 10:41 am

Malli wrote:At my work, we have about 10 associated clinics wich come in to use our surgery, if the owner requests, or the animal is recovering slowly or seems to need monitoring, they stay overnight, no charge. But we (the Ward Nurses/Vet assistants) are there all night and so is a Tech. and ER Dr.

I agree with Pocketpit, there are other problems too like an animal that is not watched closely loosing balance and injuring itself. It seems either clients are totally oblivious or overreact to the slightest abnormality.

Besides, isn't that why we have all laws and rules? Its because of the stupid people :lol: We all suffer for them....

Malli

I wish you were not so far away, I'd bring her to your clinic! I'd agree to an overnight if nursing staff were there.
msvette2u
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health