testing, testing, 1,2,3... 4... 5... 6... 7... ...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » March 8th, 2006, 12:17 am

Chris Fraize wrote:"His remaining hair"...So cold. So cold....

:angel2:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » March 8th, 2006, 12:44 am

Alpha roll him!!! :screamLaugh:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » March 8th, 2006, 1:07 am

We never down'ed ours before letting them out. I do make them "wait" until we give the command to "out". I did that by slamming their heads in the door a few times and repeating the "wait" command. They learned to wait. :|
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby pLaurent » March 8th, 2006, 9:36 am

I do make them "wait" until we give the command to "out". I did that by slamming their heads in the door a few times and repeating the "wait" command. They learned to wait.

Ahh, yes! My dog is never in a crate, but I used this method to stop her from rudely pushing out the door ahead of me for walks. I didn't bang her head, but slammed the door really hard in her face. That sure worked! Now she sits and waits politely until I'm out first. :D

The "Wait" command is a very useful one!
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 8th, 2006, 10:07 am

What frustration! I totally comiserate with you!

I wait for a sit-no command. I thought a down was too hard at first. The open door with an OK is the prize. First I waited until they sat, clicked for a sit, then said OK and opened the door. Then I started reaching for the door before I clicked. If they get up, I stand up straight and start over. Slowely I keep making it harder until I can open the door and the dog is sitting inside waiting to come out until I say OK. I do not use additional rewards other than the door opening. If the dog tries to get out, I slam the door shut, shoving the dog back in if necessary. (they don't seem to mind this a bit other than being thwarted!) You have to be FAST! If you are on a wood floor, make sure you have shoes on ;-)

BTW, this can take weeks, or a day, depending on how operant the dog is.

It may not work on this dog, but this did work on mine. It IS a frustrating thing to deal with, the first time I tried it with the Bull Terrier, it took an hour to get her to sit. She just put her head against the door, nose pointed down, and waited. For a freaking HOUR! But once she did, she had it. That is Tallulah for you. :rolleyes2:
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 20th, 2006, 12:54 am

drum roll please....

and on his way out for final potty break of the night, we had a down and he WAITED inside of the crate until I told him he could come out! and then he head butted me.... but at least he didn't charge out!

I actually found that he started offering the down after we had been working on it for a few OB sessions. the down is his favorite 'offer' actually. If Riggs is not sure what I want he flops into a down and wags his tail "look, I'm in a down! aren't I good? I'm cute! Look, my tail is wagging! I'm cuuuuuuute! Give me the tug now!"
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » March 20th, 2006, 1:07 am

Down but a head butt, lol
Hey nobody is perfect :wink: Forgot to add ~ Glad your making progress!
Last edited by Jenn on March 20th, 2006, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenn
undecided

Postby BigDogBuford » March 20th, 2006, 1:11 am

Well, if you're not awake already, there's nothing like a head butt from an enthuastic bully to wake you right up!

8)
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Hoyden » March 20th, 2006, 2:01 am

mnp13 wrote: then he head butted me.... but at least he didn't charge out!

:ROFL2: That reminded me of when I was trying to training Birdie to sit and wait and allow me through the door first.

She was so excited that she head butted me and knocked me down (my balance is horrific.) I actually sat on the floor & cried for a few minutes because I was so frusterated with her. She crawled into my lap licked the tears - crossed back over the door jam and sat perfectly - waiting.

I didn't know whether to choke her or praise her!!! So I pulled myself up and started over and she did it perfect.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby SisMorphine » March 20th, 2006, 9:21 am

Hoyden wrote:
mnp13 wrote: then he head butted me.... but at least he didn't charge out!

:ROFL2: That reminded me of when I was trying to training Birdie to sit and wait and allow me through the door first.

She was so excited that she head butted me and knocked me down (my balance is horrific.) I actually sat on the floor & cried for a few minutes because I was so frusterated with her. She crawled into my lap licked the tears - crossed back over the door jam and sat perfectly - waiting.

I didn't know whether to choke her or praise her!!! So I pulled myself up and started over and she did it perfect.

Hahahahaha!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior