Adopting a dog to keep another company

Postby msvette2u » February 4th, 2008, 11:47 am

OK...I have a question here, and would like opinions.
When you get an application who states that they want to adopt a dog to keep their current dog company, what's your reaction?

I'd say 2-3 out of 10 applicants state they want a dog to keep their current busy or company, we had an application for Noelle, for instance, and they have a Golden who is 5/6? and it "loved" their other dog they just lost, so they would like to adopt her.

I'm just really torn on the issue.

We adopted Conan and Carlie to play with Veronica, someone her size that is, but not to "keep her company" per se. And they are separated when we are away, as most of our dogs are.
And it didn't turn out like that anyway - Conan does not play with her, as much as Carlie. Conan's in his own world and plays with Carlie but if he's not doing that, he wants to fetch his ball. (edited to add that we adopted Conan and they threw Carlie in with the package, which I am happy about but we didn't set out to adopt TWO that day necessarily!)
I just wonder, for instance, if we were the type to give dogs up, if we'd have ditched Conan since his original purpose was not fulfilled.

It always crosses my mind that if the new dog doesn't LIKE or play with the first dog, then they won't want to keep the new dog?
That is, their expectations would be failed.

I've denied apps based on that they wanted a playmate for their current dog, and would refuse to crate one or the other while they were away.

So...discussion/opinions??
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby airwalk » February 4th, 2008, 12:38 pm

We always counsel against the idea of getting a dog to keep your other dog company. If the primary reason for getting a dog isn't because you want it, then the adoption becomes suspect in my mind.

If the dogs gets along, then that's a HUGE bonus, if they are good buddies that is an even bigger bonus...but if a dog is adopted to somehow meet the need of another dog, I find the "step" dog becomes expendable and isn't integrated quite the way it should be.
airwalk
I live here

Postby msvette2u » February 4th, 2008, 12:44 pm

On February 04 2008, airwalk wrote:If the dogs gets along, then that's a HUGE bonus, if they are good buddies that is an even bigger bonus...but if a dog is adopted to somehow meet the need of another dog, I find the "step" dog becomes expendable and isn't integrated quite the way it should be.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking.
In our case, with Conan, I fell in love with his pic - his earset and facial features reminded me so much of Copper, I had to meet him.
Plus my reasoning was that he'd be closer to Ronnie's size and possibly a playmate for her but if not, then I'd be happy too - because I wanted him for himself.
As it turned out, they wanted us to take Carlie too (and I'm glad we did, in retrospect) and SHE is Veronica's playmate as much as anything but still I'd have not been too disappointed in the way Conan doesn't play with her really - because I wanted him anyway...you know?
msvette2u
I live here

Postby LaylaWoobie » February 4th, 2008, 6:06 pm

I think it depends on the people...the reason we got Layla in the first place was because of our other dog. We had a VERY aggressive dog (we joked around she was a serial killer...she was THAT aggressive...) Long story short, we had done some research and read some articles that had stated one of the best things for an aggressive dog was to actually get them a puppy. Needless to say, we were thrilled to have an excuse to get another dog. Its not that we were only getting it for her, but any excuse I could use to get another dog, I'd go for. It did make Olivia better, they fell in love instantly...slept in the same crate, chewed on the same bones...they were adorable. It didn't help with her human aggression issues, but she was amazing with this little puppy.

I'd judge it on a case by case basis. If someone comes looking for a dog to take care of their old dog so they dont' have to, that's clearly not a good reason. If they're looking for a companion, I think that's great. In our case, we wanted another dog and she served a purpose. It sounds bad to say that Layla came to us "for a purpose," but we were trying to save Olivia. In the end, she couldn't be saved :(...but the time they did have together was much better than before we got Layla.

Overall, I think you have to judge it on an individual basis. You can't rule out each case just because they want a dog simply because they want a companion for their previous dog, but if they want another dog so they can ignore their dog at home, that's certainly not a valid reason to put another dog in their home.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby iluvk9 » February 4th, 2008, 6:39 pm

The main reason we got Bearman was so Louie would have a friend. :|

Louie, my son and I, lived in a condo for 10 years. I sold it, bought a house with a big yard, and the first thing I did was to look for a friend for Louie.

btw For those that don't know, Louie was a Lab, not a man.
:giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby msvette2u » February 4th, 2008, 6:58 pm

I think that what bothers me, is that Noelle doesn't HAVE alot to give, anyone let alone another animal.
I'd hate to have someone expect her to give of herself to a relationship, if that makes sense?
All she really does here is sleep, she goes outside but could care less about the other dogs.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Scout » February 4th, 2008, 7:58 pm

If you feel Noelle won't/doesn't have much of herself to give in an animal relationship, then I wold nix it. Unless of course they really wanted Noelle, and are willing to work with her because of her and for her. Not because she needed to be someone's companion. Plus, you know Noelle better and you may be able to foresee the kind of future she may have with these potential adopters. If you feel she won't make a good "forced" companion then nix the application, in my opinion at least. Or maybe have the dogs meet 2-3 times to see if Noelle is even interested? :|

I dunno MsVette...but I know you'll make the right decision...you always listen to your heart and gut and as far as I can tell...you've always found the right homes for the "unwanted". :hug3:
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person. --Andy Rooney
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby msvette2u » February 4th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Thank you -- I DO think when it's the right home, it'll be RIGHT without a doubt, and we will KNOW it...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » February 5th, 2008, 7:11 am

Me thinks someone wants to keep Noelle for their own. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Rescue