Canned responses

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Romanwild » January 12th, 2006, 12:25 pm

Myself and the VP of my bulldog club have been working on responses to memorize when ever someone makes a comment or asks a question about pit bulls.

Please share some of you standard responses and techniques when dealing with the public and our dogs.

If this thread gets some goods posts I will imortalize it as a STICKY!!!! :eek1:

I've been looking for a reason to use that emoticon
Romanwild
I live here

Postby girlie » January 12th, 2006, 12:38 pm

Whenever people start talking about the "horrible viscious pit bulls" I join in the conversation and start talking about how amazing my dog is and about my BF's dogs (not mentioning yet that they are all APBT), and they ususally seem so amazed to here about such a breed of animal, so i go on and talk about other friends who own the same breed and how they have dogs trained to be search and rescue dogs......."amazing!!!". Then i very politely remind them that we shoould never believe streotypes, and how the media does twist things to create a "good story", because all the dogs that i had just finished talking to them about were all in fact American Pit Bull Terriers, then i show them pictures of my girl with the kids!!

Deal Sealed Baby!!
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Hoyden » January 12th, 2006, 1:23 pm

The one that is most memorable (And my Boss hasn't let me live down) was one that I made to a Cable TV Rep after she went into the "Viscious, Evil, Bad Dog should be banned and wiped out of excistence" diatribe after seeing pictures of my dogs on my desk and screensaver.

"After listening to what just came out of your mouth, it's a good thing stupidity isn't contagious because we would all be infected"

I usually don't respond so harshly, however when stating her opinion, this woman not only crossed over the line of decency, she made it a point to figuratively obliterate it.

My boss isn't mad by the way, she just likes to rib me about it.

[/b]
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby mnp13 » January 12th, 2006, 2:11 pm

Usually heard after bringing ruby in to a boy/girl scout gathering of over 50 kids...

"a Pit bull doing therapy work? Does she bite?"

"Yes, that's why I bring her arund so many children" *said with a smile and rolling my eyes*

It usually gets a laugh.

or, after someone has pet her and then recoiled in horror when I tell them she is a Pit Bull
"Look, and you still have all your fingers"
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pibblegrl » January 13th, 2006, 11:40 am

mnp13 wrote:Usually heard after bringing ruby in to a boy/girl scout gathering of over 50 kids...

"a Pit bull doing therapy work? Does she bite?"

"Yes, that's why I bring her arund so many children" *said with a smile and rolling my eyes*

It usually gets a laugh.

or, after someone has pet her and then recoiled in horror when I tell them she is a Pit Bull
"Look, and you still have all your fingers"

HEHEH
I usually try to crack the " I'm with stupid" jokes too...but some people just provoke my human aggression.
I have been known to bare my teeth at people. :grind:
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby JainDaugh » January 13th, 2006, 1:01 pm

I'm sure we all know the smile that turns first to blank then level one of 'horror' when the magic word PIT is mentioned with a dog. I used to always tell people who asked re the breed that the dog was an American Staffordshire Terrier. The American part would usually make for a proud, patriotic smile while Staffordshire must bring up snob points too. Terrier escapes more people as they usually think Jack Russell..... But if I really wanted to burst their bubble, I add, that the breed is commonly referred to as a pit bull and then the face show begins!

This used to be fun until BSL started putting the brain dead in charge of Hilter type decisions about which dog deserved to live and die. And I got tired of hearing the doors slam shut on the itty bitty minds of the terminally stupid. These days my response is generally - he's a rescue dog and we aren't really sure exactly what he is, but he sure is wonderful!
JainDaugh

Postby BullyVW » January 13th, 2006, 1:33 pm

You know, it's really generic, but I constantly tell people it's not the dog, it's the owner.

Last week a woman came rushing over to meet Ghia and then noted how beautiful Ralph is as well. She was unaware of his breed, but her daughter quickly stated what a well behaved pit her was. The mother wasn't really taken back by that, but did ask nervously if he was "stable." I took 5 minutes out of my walk, while she pet the quite unstable Boston I own, to let her know that you have to teach a pit to be bad...but with most people it comes naturally. After a little talk, she was paying just as much attention to Ralph!
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 13th, 2006, 3:42 pm

I refuse to lie about her breed. Because of her short nose and coloring, most people think she is a boxer. Sometimes I will identify her mix, but I am proud of her temperament and of her obedience training.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » January 13th, 2006, 10:48 pm

I'm always on a mission to tell people what they are! :rofl:

I'm similar to bullyvw with my approach. I use those phrases as well.

My run in with the Mayor really helped get the word out on "it's the owner, not the dog". That just makes sense. Changes their focus. That's what most people say to me when they see me now. "Hey, I saw you on the news. You're right it's the owners!" :wink:

Actually it's better then "punish the deed" now that I think of it. :idea:

The worst thing I ever said was " you don't know what the smurf you're talking about". But it worked! :laugh1:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » January 13th, 2006, 11:40 pm

I hear occasaionally things like "won't they eat you?", "they are gonna turn on you", "their brains are the size of peas (ok, that one's true! :P )". I have a smart mouth & one of the ones I use the most is "Really? I thought that was poodles, who knew?"
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Emi » January 13th, 2006, 11:58 pm

One time in Petsmart ..

A lady walked up to me and said "What a pretty puppy, what type is it ?"

I said "An American Staffordshire Terrier"

She said "Never heard of that breed before" , and started to pet Dottie...

I was laughing to myself... :dogRun:
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby BullyVW » January 14th, 2006, 12:13 am

Emi wrote:One time in Petsmart ..

A lady walked up to me and said "What a pretty puppy, what type is it ?"

I said "An American Staffordshire Terrier"

She said "Never heard of that breed before" , and started to pet Dottie...

I was laughing to myself... :dogRun:

While she was petting is when you needed to say, "Oh, it's a pit bull with a pedigree."

Amstaff is what one of the local rescue uses when they don't want certain people interested in certain dogs.
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ammitnme » January 17th, 2006, 12:00 pm

I have cards I print out with URLS of pit bull sites..and if I am broke when I run out...I print my own...
When people make weird comments, I dont trust myself to play nice (theres a shock-heh? :devilWink: ) so I just hand em a card from my fanny pack and say "heres a card...please take the time to educate yourself on this wonderful breed of dog"
Works for me...they may toss em' as soon as I walk away, but I attempted to educate anyway...
Leisa
ammitnme
Just Whelped

Postby Romanwild » January 17th, 2006, 12:10 pm

I do the same thing with our bulldog club card. It's a great idea that we should all do.

Michelle does the same thing. Maybe we can host a file so that people can make their own at home. :D
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 17th, 2006, 1:48 pm

Romanwild wrote:I do the same thing with our bulldog club card. It's a great idea that we should all do.

Michelle does the same thing. Maybe we can host a file so that people can make their own at home. :D

That's on my to-do list...

after that 'report post' forum modification.... :rolleyes2:

I'll try to get to it this week.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » January 17th, 2006, 1:48 pm

Romanwild wrote:I do the same thing with our bulldog club card. It's a great idea that we should all do.

If you collect the info, I'll create them so they look professional and put them into several formats so you can post them.

I am a graphic artist too :) I create alot of print ads for magazines, newspaper and other print media as part of my job.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby ammitnme » January 19th, 2006, 5:48 am

what a great idea....
I love this forum!!!
ammitnme
Just Whelped

Postby Romanwild » January 21st, 2006, 12:09 pm

My bulldog club is making pamphlets to put at all the shelters in our area to educate people on the breed. :)
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 21st, 2006, 12:35 pm

Hoyden wrote:

If you collect the info, I'll create them so they look professional and put them into several formats so you can post them.

I am a graphic artist too :) I create alot of print ads for magazines, newspaper and other print media as part of my job.

I made them into a PDF file so anyone can print them, I'll get them posted later today.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ammitnme » January 22nd, 2006, 12:11 am

mnp13 wrote:
I made them into a PDF file so anyone can print them, I'll get them posted later today.

:elephant:
(I have been dying to use this happy dance purple elephant....LOL)
Leisa
ammitnme
Just Whelped

Return to Pit Bull Talk