You have GOT to be kidding me. HELP!

Postby hugapitbull » January 12th, 2008, 10:05 am

On January 11 2008, 7:58 PM, gayrghts wrote:you can even ask for dog crates on there.... and that will help you out as well...

jmashaney,
if you still need a crate, please PM me your e-mail address or phone number. I'm just a few miles from you and have a couple in my attic that aren't being used
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby jmashaney » January 12th, 2008, 11:46 am

Paulie picked up the precious Piggie today, and aside from being rail-thin, she looked like she felt tons better!

We have to keep her confined for a week, with limited, monitored play and potty time so she doesn't bust a stitch.

Vet doesn't carry Hills, so I am going to stop by one of the larger vets across town and pick some up. I am also going to go to Walmart and get a couple more yards of the faux-sheepskin material that I cut to make crate liners. That stuff is cheap, and easy to pull out and wash. (Big boy doesn't get any, he just eats it.)

In other news, Jan slipped and fell at a restaurant in Houston yesterday, she did a total face plant. No concussion, but a terrible bruise and lots of swelling. So I may drive to H-town today and pick up Shelby, then wait a week til Pigger is feeling better and bring her over there.

So yes, there will be seven dogs here. Yeah, I'm totally posting pics.
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby jmashaney » January 12th, 2008, 11:49 am

Oh, and a side note on cuteness...

Sally hadn't seen Piggie since yesterday morning. So when we brought her in and crated her just now, Sally is pogo-sticking around the kennel and talking to her sister. They are both making the funniest squeal/moan/yap/whine noises!!
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 12th, 2008, 10:39 pm

I think you both took in all these dogs so you can have the longest thread going.

:popcorn2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby jmashaney » January 12th, 2008, 10:43 pm

On January 12 2008, 9:39 PM, iluvk9 wrote:I think you both took in all these dogs so you can have the longest thread going.

You have me figured out. :P I should have saved all the time and money and just gone to taking threads off topic!! :wink:
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 12th, 2008, 10:44 pm

On January 12 2008, jmashaney wrote:
On January 12 2008, 9:39 PM, iluvk9 wrote:I think you both took in all these dogs so you can have the longest thread going.

You have me figured out. :P I should have saved all the time and money and just gone to taking threads off topic!! :wink:

8)

PS....We only get as much as we can handle. So, are you about at your quota?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby jmashaney » January 12th, 2008, 10:51 pm

On January 12 2008, 9:44 PM, iluvk9 wrote:
On January 12 2008, jmashaney wrote:

8)

PS....We only get as much as we can handle. So, are you about at your quota?

Psh. My quota was two pit mix pups and a chihuahua. It's not like I stood on the corner with free kibble wearing a dress made out of bully sticks waving a sign emblazoned with "Moron sucker lives here."

I guess I just thought if I don't take them, who will? Someone who will tie them up and throw out some Ol' Roy every now and then? :|
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 12th, 2008, 10:52 pm

Loved the visual of the dress. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby jmashaney » January 12th, 2008, 10:54 pm

On January 12 2008, 9:52 PM, iluvk9 wrote:Loved the visual of the dress. 8)

:bitchSlap:
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby jmashaney » January 12th, 2008, 11:03 pm

lol

Sally is still available if anyone wants her. And to be honest, I would let Tonka go if I knew it would be to someone who would at least take care of him as well as we do. Same with Shelby.

But yeah, if anymore varmits show up, I'll give 'em your address.
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby jmashaney » January 18th, 2008, 7:54 pm

Sally and Piglet are going to their new home tomorrow! Shelby the pittie is doing well with our dogs now, all of her aggression seems to only be toward the yellow lab, so that makes things easier.

Piglet has recovered from her rear end issues but is fighting pneumonia right now. Sally has filled out sufficiently and loves to play. Shelby is going to the vet next week because we suspect she may have a UTI.

But...as of tomorrow we will be down to 5 dogs!!

Tonka still needs a place, if anyone is in the market for a large yellow pogo stick with an addiction to playing fetch and gnawing on squeaky balls!
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 18th, 2008, 8:48 pm

Awwww.....your little unofficial rescue is adopting out some of it's members. :giggle:

Can't wait to see who joins, next! :bananaDance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby jmashaney » January 18th, 2008, 9:15 pm

Can't wait to see who joins, next!

You just shut your mouth!! :P
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 18th, 2008, 10:44 pm

:dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » January 19th, 2008, 4:27 pm

I never "planned" on having four dogs...but that is life, it tends to hand us stuff and we figure out how to make it work....as for the dress...we don't need one.

The animals have done a blacklight tattoo on all of our heads that reads (only to dogs eyes mind you) SUCKER HERE, has food, will share, can't say no.

We all have it.
airwalk
I live here

Postby jmashaney » January 24th, 2008, 11:19 pm

A very sad, frustrating, all around pissed off at the world day.

Piglet was PTS today after suffering several seizures, most likely caused by CDV.

What bothers me more than anything is not that she was dumped and forced to live on trash in the most important months of her life, and not that we spent so much money on medications and surgery that never would have treated the virus in the first place, it's not even that Jan, after having her Irish Setter of 12 years PTS earlier this year and burying her best friend after a sudden illness, had to see Piglet gently out of this world...it's that NOT ONCE, during all the vet visits, did he EVER even MENTION the possibility that she could have distemper. He wouldn't even vaccinate her because he said she was too weak. And he KNEW we had other dogs at home.

I know he is only human, and I'm sure somehow this is my fault for not spending more time researching her symptoms, but dammit, I trusted his professional judgement.

And MY babies, my two sweet, well-behaved lumps of affection are put at risk because of this. Because Momma was stupid and took in a homeless puppy.

There are times in your life, entire weeks it seems, where you just can't do a damn thing right, even with the best of intentions.
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby amazincc » January 24th, 2008, 11:31 pm

:shock: I am SO sorry about Piglet. :cry:

What ARE the risks to the other dogs??? Are they vaccinated?
I tend to "trust" doctors/vets as well - but experience has taught me to do as much research as possible on my own. There is no way you could've known...

You DID do a good thing for this puppy, regardless... you were probably the only kind person she met in her short life. :hug3:

RIP Piglet...

2008 already SUCKS big-time. >(
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » January 24th, 2008, 11:38 pm

I'm so sorry.

Definitely check with a TRUSTED vet regarding the risk of distemper to your own dogs. How frustrating :(
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby jmashaney » January 24th, 2008, 11:40 pm

Yup, all the way around, right? Not even just the dogs and their struggles, but the people we love too...

Our dogs are all vaccinated, but Bella seems to be running a fever, and she and Justus both have had a cough for two days. The over-reactive, pessimistic part of me is freaking out. The more rational side is telling me that A) They are having allergies to the crap Nutro we will no longer be feeding them, B) They are allergic to cigarette smoke and we need to quit anyway, and C) With the heater on 24-7 now, their respiratory systems are dried out, because they are used to Southeast Texas 98.6 humidity and they are probably dealing with bronchitis.

So, I have been in the kitchen all night preparing chicken and rice, I have let them sit in the bathroom with the shower steaming away, I have given them benadryl, and I am looking for a new freakin vet.

I told Paul that I don't know if I can have kids, because if I'm this paranoid about dogs, my children will live in plastic bubbles.

BTW, the other lab puppy is perfectly healthy. Go figure.
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby jmashaney » January 24th, 2008, 11:42 pm

On January 24 2008, 10:38 PM, SisMorphine wrote:I'm so sorry.

Definitely check with a TRUSTED vet regarding the risk of distemper to your own dogs. How frustrating :(

I SO loved the vet that Evie had seen her whole life...until he got busted for a coke habit and his practice went to poop.

It is difficult to find a good vet, there doesn't seem to be the rating/regulation system like with human medical practitioners.
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Rescue