Christine & Mick

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby amazincc » January 23rd, 2008, 8:21 pm

On January 23 2008, 6:04 PM, concreterose wrote:Christine I will tape myself doing the trust restraint with Solomon tonight when my sister gets home. It is a very easy manipulation but you will need some people to help you with it.

Thanks... :greenWave:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » January 23rd, 2008, 8:24 pm

On January 23 2008, 12:56 PM, CinderDee wrote:Adria was over $200.00, as was Elspar. I have to look up the exact price. Kate's last treatment is Adria.

Thanks for all the info, Dee. I am so glad that Kate can tolerate that drug.

I think we will have to pass on it though... :cry:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Jeni » January 23rd, 2008, 9:36 pm

Just say the update - What great news!!!
Keep going strong Mick!
dee de dee
Jeni
Confident Young Bully

Postby ellie@ny » January 23rd, 2008, 9:57 pm

Christine,I'm so happy to hear about his behavior!!!He's a real fighter!!! :wink: Keep up the good work!!!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby CinderDee » January 24th, 2008, 12:36 am

On Wednesday, 23 January 2008, 7:24 PM, amazincc wrote:
On January 23 2008, 12:56 PM, CinderDee wrote:Adria was over $200.00, as was Elspar. I have to look up the exact price. Kate's last treatment is Adria.

Thanks for all the info, Dee. I am so glad that Kate can tolerate that drug.

I think we will have to pass on it though... :cry:

You're welcome, Christine. :cry:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby concreterose » January 24th, 2008, 9:59 pm

Christine, sis is working late nights so I am not able to get anyone to video. I am going to try to describe the best I can, I am a visual learner, so I am not crazy about doing it this way.

You will need another person to help you with this, if you like,it can be someone that Mick knows and trusts to start, but you want to quickly have people he doesn't know to begin handling him. If he will bite, use a muzzle until you see him accepting people without fear.

Lay Mick on his side. Put your left hand firmly on his shoulder, and your right hand firmly on his inner thigh. He may struggle, do not let him get up. The first thing you want to notice is his body language. Is he stiff and unyielding, is he struggling? Look at his eyes...are they turning red, or are the whites showing (whale eyes). How is his breathing? Is his tail tucked between his legs? Is he growling? These are all signs of stress, and if he is not relaxed, you have a lot of work to do.

The second person comes in now. Remember to use a muzzle if there is ANY chance of him biting someone. With you gently, but firmly restraining Mick (do NOT let him get up if he's struggling). This person should gently massage Micks feet, his ears, rub up and down his back, and shake out his tail if it is tucked. They will do this until you both see Mick visibly relax...his eyes should become soft, his body should be pliant, he should not be struggling, and his tail should be soft and limp, not between his legs. If he is unsure about people handling him, expect it to take some time for him to relax. When you see him relaxing, then you may release him.

Your goal is to do this with Mick with as many different people, in as many different environments as possible. As you see him getting used to it and relaxing faster, you want to name it. "Easy" or "Settle" are what a lot of people use. What you are doing is conditioning him to learn to be in a relaxed state when he is being handled. You will eventually be able to tell him to settle and he will willingly lay on his side and allow himself to be handled while staying in a calm, neutral state.

It won't happen overnight, and it will take some time and commitment on your part (which I know won't be a problem with you), but he will learn it.
The lady who I am working with on this has a fearful dog. Her dog bit her twice as an 8 month old pup (broke skin), and she was advised to put the dog down. After a TON of work, her dog has learned a ton of self-monitoring behaviors, is a demo dog in her class, and has master agility and obedience titles. So it is possible.
I hope all this makes sense...good luck!
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » January 24th, 2008, 10:54 pm

Thanks for the explanation... I understand the instructions and the basic idea behind it. :mrgreen:

Mick is ALWAYS muzzled when it comes to having other people handle him, and I do something similar at the vet office now. The problem is w/the "volunteers"... not too many people I know will be willing to help w/this exercise.
At the vets, we're basically in and out to cause the least amount of stress... :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 24th, 2008, 11:12 pm

I'll volunteer if you guys want to come to Ohio! :wave:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » January 24th, 2008, 11:39 pm

come on up to NY, I have a few people who will help you out! :D
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » January 24th, 2008, 11:44 pm

I'll be bait. No prob ;)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby amazincc » January 24th, 2008, 11:46 pm

On January 24 2008, 10:39 PM, mnp13 wrote:come on up to NY, I have a few people who will help you out! :D

I am seriously considering moving back to NY... so, you guys be READY! :greenWave:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » January 24th, 2008, 11:50 pm

On January 24 2008, 10:46 PM, amazincc wrote:
On January 24 2008, 10:39 PM, mnp13 wrote:come on up to NY, I have a few people who will help you out! :D

I am seriously considering moving back to NY... so, you guys be READY! :greenWave:

DO IT!!

Are you gonna move and not give your daughter your new address? My parents threaten to do that to me all the time. I don't know why . . . :|
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby gayrghts » January 24th, 2008, 11:55 pm

On January 24 2008, 10:46 PM, amazincc wrote:

I'd be more than willing to help, and i'm in NY too... :)
There's lot's of us up here who'd be willing to help :)
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby DropkickPA » January 25th, 2008, 4:31 pm

Yay Mr. Mick!! You da man!!! And your momma is the awesomest!! :greenWave:
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby Beth » January 25th, 2008, 7:09 pm

On January 24 2008, 9:54 PM, amazincc wrote:The problem is w/the "volunteers"... not too many people I know will be willing to help w/this exercise.

I would help you with Mick in a heart beat, Christine. Can we wait a few weeks until after my stitches are out then give it a try? Maybe meet half way between me and you.
Mom to
Blaze 3/17/93 - 3/30/07
Onyx b 3/7/99
Duchess b 3/12/02 r 9/18/02
Rifle b 12/1/02 r 8/8/03
Diamond b 5/3/05 a 8/3/05
Luka r 5/16/07
Dixie b 10/20/06 a 4/1/08
Beth
Enlightened Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 25th, 2008, 7:37 pm

On January 24 2008, amazincc wrote:

We can have a PBT party and I will make the coffee and Cheerios! :greenWave:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amazincc » January 25th, 2008, 9:39 pm

On January 25 2008, 6:37 PM, iluvk9 wrote:
On January 24 2008, amazincc wrote:

We can have a PBT party and I will make the coffee and Cheerios! :greenWave:

Well, hot damn, Joyce... if you're "cooking", how can I say no? :mrgreen:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » January 25th, 2008, 10:08 pm

:coffee:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenny » January 26th, 2008, 7:30 pm

Christine and Mick! so glad the treatment is going well, you both are the greatest best example of how not to give up! What a good and lucky boy he is.
:mrgreen:
"I went shopping for feminine protection. I decided on a .380 automatic."
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitacc » January 26th, 2008, 8:35 pm

I wasn't sure if I should start a new topic or not, but here is an update on Mickey.
We spent the day with all three dogs and took them out to run. Mickey was more quiet than usual but he still seemed to enjoy playing ball and running around. He threw up a couple of times and we decided to go home.
My Mom petted him in the car and she could feel his lymph nodes again. I petted him also and could feel them, they were huge. We stopped at the Cancer Clinic and they did some blood work and gave us something for vomiting. His white blood cell count is very high and they think he might have an infection somewhere. He is also on antibiotics and more steroids, I think prednisone.
We have to bring him in for his appointment on Tuesday unless he gets worse in the meantime.
My Mom is very upset and I'm about to go home, but I wanted to ask everyone to say an extra prayer tonight. Thank you. :cry:
A friend is the one who is already there doing it when every one else is saying,
"Is there anything I can do?"
Mickey is blessed with many friends just like that. :)

Caroline
pitacc
Just Whelped

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer