I joined the Army

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Asta » January 19th, 2008, 5:11 am

It is my personal opinion, not meant to be disrespectful in any way.

Very few few historically have been worth all the bloodshed that goes hand in hand with it. And what Bush is doing is just beyond sad, and has been so for a long time. And i would just hate for more people to die, regardless of which side they are on.

Ã…sa

EDA That said, one thing the people of Europe should always remember and be grateful for was when the Americans came and liberated Europe from Hitler at the end of WW2.
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby amazincc » January 19th, 2008, 5:16 am

I didn't mean you, Asta... :hug3:
I meant that I could come across as disrespectful, because I feel very strongly about this whole issue - I am a pacifist to the core.

Ditto on that whole Hitler fiasco... even though every country turned a blind eye for a very long time before finally taking action. I am from Germany, and our history is a sad one - too bad people don't learn from it.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Brindlebaby » January 19th, 2008, 12:58 pm

On January 19 2008, 1:31 AM, amazincc wrote:
On January 18 2008, 4:47 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:Holy hell is right!!! DId your mom know you were considering this?

Nope... can't say that she did. :x
Jessica is going to take a break from posting here... I will keep you guys updated though, if this Army thing becomes reality.

Whew! :clap: Thank goodness. Too many of our young are dying at Bush's hands. And for what? :x
Vannessa
The question is not whether we will be extremist but what kind of extremist will we be.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Brindlebaby
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Asta » January 19th, 2008, 1:13 pm

On January 19 2008, amazincc wrote:I didn't mean you, Asta... :hug3:
I meant that I could come across as disrespectful, because I feel very strongly about this whole issue - I am a pacifist to the core.

Ditto on that whole Hitler fiasco... even though every country turned a blind eye for a very long time before finally taking action. I am from Germany, and our history is a sad one - too bad people don't learn from it.

Oh, most of Europe turned a blind eye for quite some time, even so called neutral Sweden... Norway was pretty ok resistance wise :)
It is really too bad though with Hitler, because from the start he did a lot for Germany from an econimical standpoint of view. It was when he started going :crazy: it went downhill...
And i do agree, it is sad that we don´t learn from history! Everyone should watch movies about WW2 in school and take notes for life! And i recommend watching Band of Brothers to pretty much everyone i discuss with.

Ã…sa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby iluvk9 » January 19th, 2008, 2:16 pm

I think parents just want their children to be safe, no matter what their career path. Christine, I certainly understand your concern for your daughter.

As a few people know, my son originally was in NYPD academy (for 2 weeks) while waiting to be called to the FDNY academy. It was the exact time Officer Russel Timoshenko was shot and killed. I was a mess. It's not that FDNY is less dangerous, but I know my son IS a firefighter. Police Officer.... not so much.

I also believe Mom's know their children very well. Which is probably why you aren't accepting of the Army for YOUR daughter, Christine.

Whatever path she chooses, she will be in all our prayers.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby cheekymunkee » January 19th, 2008, 6:06 pm

My whole family is military with the exception of 4 of my surviving nephews. And I plan for it to STAY that way. I lost an uncle to Viet Nam and his name sake to Iraq ( well, the aftermath, he was not killed in battle). His younger brother has talked of joining the Peace Corps & I objected strongly to that as has his mom & dad so hopefully we have talked him out of it. A very close friend of Amanda's hung himself in order to avoid his 3rd tour. Too many kids....

I am extremely proud of my family & their service but now is NOT the time. This is not the war.

And this is NOT a decision to be taken lightly.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby amazincc » January 23rd, 2008, 8:11 am

And... she left... this morning. W/an attitude-and-a-half. :cry:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Marinepits » January 23rd, 2008, 8:18 am

You'll be very proud if she succeeds, and you'll be there to pick her up if she does not. Either way, Christine, you're a good mom. :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » January 23rd, 2008, 8:21 am

On January 23 2008, 7:18 AM, Marinepits wrote:You'll be very proud if she succeeds, and you'll be there to pick her up if she does not. Either way, Christine, you're a good mom. :)

She says it all!! :)
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 23rd, 2008, 9:40 am

:hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Favorite Kitty » January 23rd, 2008, 10:08 am

Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby cheekymunkee » January 23rd, 2008, 10:18 am

On January 23 2008, 6:21 AM, katiek0417 wrote:
On January 23 2008, 7:18 AM, Marinepits wrote:You'll be very proud if she succeeds, and you'll be there to pick her up if she does not. Either way, Christine, you're a good mom. :)

She says it all!! :)

Yes she does. We love you Christine. And so does she.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby TheRedQueen » January 23rd, 2008, 11:22 am

We're here for you...:hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » January 23rd, 2008, 11:43 am

:hug3: It is hard to understand when they want to go. When my Glen left to go to the Marines I was devastated but when he came home from boot camp I couldn't have been more proud. I was proud of him but that didn't change my mind about what was going on across the world.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pitacc » January 23rd, 2008, 1:14 pm

My sister is :crazy: !!! >(
A friend is the one who is already there doing it when every one else is saying,
"Is there anything I can do?"
Mickey is blessed with many friends just like that. :)

Caroline
pitacc
Just Whelped

Postby CinderDee » January 23rd, 2008, 2:24 pm

Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » January 23rd, 2008, 6:07 pm

On January 23 2008, amazincc wrote:And... she left... this morning. W/an attitude-and-a-half. :cry:

Sorry, Christine.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby gayrghts » January 23rd, 2008, 6:21 pm

Hang in there Christine, and Caroline,
:groupHug:
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby airwalk » January 23rd, 2008, 6:50 pm

I know how hard this is...but if it is a good fit, she will return without the attitude and with a great deal more quiet confidence and pride.
airwalk
I live here

Postby kaitkait52 » January 24th, 2008, 3:12 pm

I was just reading this thread... I know how hard it can be when someone goes off to boot camp. I still remember the day the recruiter came to pick up my brother for the Navy. I was half hoping they would return him after a medical screening because he had a fractured hand from a fight.

He went through Boot and Corps school and he is now medically retiring after 11 years. The military really transformed him into a valuable member of society. Someone who is respectful, appreciative and a pleasure to be around.

So Christine, I know it isnt much of a comfort right now but I think things will work out well in the end. You will be able to see a huge difference in your daughter in ways you can't imagine right now. I imagine her attitude will be a bit adjusted for the better too :wink:
** Some heroes wear capes, mine wears kevlar**
kaitkait52
Just Whelped

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic