Malinois folks - need input

Postby pocketpit » January 21st, 2008, 7:33 pm

So I now have another foster dog here and I need some opinions on breed from those people who have Malinois experience. The first time I saw him I instantly thought Mal but his color obviously throws most folks off as it's most often seen in G. Shepherds. Occasionally he looks a bit Shepherd like to me so now I'm wondering if maybe he's a Shepawa.
So purebred (either Mal or G. Shep) or mix?

pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 21st, 2008, 7:35 pm

OMG, he is GORGEOUS! :shock:

What's his story?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » January 21st, 2008, 7:43 pm

Well... I'm a "closet-adorer", and he DOES remind me of Katrinas Rocky in some pics... :oops:
He is very leggy... I'll say mix. How old is he, and how much does he weigh??? And what IS his story?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pocketpit » January 21st, 2008, 7:55 pm

He was spotted running in an area known for dog dumping as well as just lots of lost dogs (it's rural and surrounded by unfenced military property used by all kinds of folks). The gal that contacted me is a private rescue person who'd been following him for a week and trying to catch him. One day she was able to trap him on someones property and they were kind enough to offer to hold onto him while Diana looked for a foster home. They'd had him about 4 days and hit bit Diana a couple of days ago while she was over there so she contacted the head of our rescue to ask for help. The couple who's property he was living on are older and I offered to take him off their hands so as to avoid further trouble.
When I went to pick him up he woofed at me and was obviously scared but willing to take treats from me. The couple invited me onto their property (the gate was closed) and as I turned to take the keys out of my truck and lock it, the dog lost his marbles and got really nasty. They of course being kind hearted were babying the hell out of him. Not a good combo so I'm glad I got him out of there before he did some serious damage to someone else.
He of course will not be adopted out through our rescue but I'm hoping that with some training and socialization that perhaps there is someone out there for him. This is only our 2nd day with him so far but there have been some positive changes but we'll see. He's a rather interesting dog to say the least.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby airwalk » January 21st, 2008, 7:57 pm

Do you know what his prey drive is? At work I have the name of some folks looking for high drive dogs for security work.
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » January 21st, 2008, 7:58 pm

He is beautiful... :heartbeat:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » January 21st, 2008, 7:59 pm

Oh my!!! He is gorgeous...you have him in for foster? It sounds like he's got some fear issues, which were reinforced by the old couple (who probably meant well but didn't know)...

He looks like he definitely could have some mal in him...but he also looks a bit shepherd-y (as in sable shepherd)...his coloring is very sable shepherd, but his body coloring reminds me a lot of Jue's coloring...

Do you have any ideas for rescue groups...I MAY know of a rescue that would be willing to work with him (they specialize in Dutch Shepherds)...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pocketpit » January 21st, 2008, 8:07 pm

How old is he, and how much does he weigh???

Well, his teeth are sparkly white so I'd guess not over the age of 2 but at least a year old due to his physical maturity. Currently he's 59lbs but needs to be closer to 65. He's got the coat of an outdoor dog and under it is a thin dog. The folks who had him were doing lots of small meals with Innova puppy food to fatten him up. So we have no idea how long he's been on the run.
Though it appears that he's been outdoors he'll crate readily for treats tossed in the back and settles down fairly well in one. He never once offered to escape from the couple's 4 foot chain link fence yet he hates being left outdoors in our 6 ft chain link pens and even with me present in the back yard today was constantly seeking a way out. He contemplated jumping the little fence and tried to knock the gate off the hinges and barrel through it as well. So he's trying to develop a good case of separation anxiety right now (yipee :rolleyes2: ). Lucky me gets to take him out on a long line for potty breaks.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » January 21st, 2008, 8:07 pm

Wow is right, he really is a beautiful dog.
Jenn
undecided

Postby katiek0417 » January 21st, 2008, 8:16 pm

On January 21 2008, 7:07 PM, pocketpit wrote:
How old is he, and how much does he weigh???

Well, his teeth are sparkly white so I'd guess not over the age of 2 but at least a year old due to his physical maturity. Currently he's 59lbs but needs to be closer to 65. He's got the coat of an outdoor dog and under it is a thin dog. The folks who had him were doing lots of small meals with Innova puppy food to fatten him up. So we have no idea how long he's been on the run.
Though it appears that he's been outdoors he'll crate readily for treats tossed in the back and settles down fairly well in one. He never once offered to escape from the couple's 4 foot chain link fence yet he hates being left outdoors in our 6 ft chain link pens and even with me present in the back yard today was constantly seeking a way out. He contemplated jumping the little fence and tried to knock the gate off the hinges and barrel through it as well. So he's trying to develop a good case of separation anxiety right now (yipee :rolleyes2: ). Lucky me gets to take him out on a long line for potty breaks.

I truly can't believe how gorgeous he is...As I'm sure you know, separation anxiety in these dogs (mals, shepherds) can lead to being an escape artist (just ask Jue)...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pocketpit » January 21st, 2008, 8:32 pm

Katrina, I definitely think he's got some fear issues and the poor old couple really didn't know any better. At first I thought oh great he's a total nerve bag and is always going to be freaky. But the weirdo seems more and more like a dog that simply lacks socialization and for whatever reason seems to have learned that being an aggressive jerk is the way to respond. I think some of it is that he's naturally just a defensive dog. Last night I went to load him up to take him to work and the weirdo leaped onto a stack of crates in the driveway, knocking crate pans and doors every direction and it did not phase him one bit. He simply stood on the crates quite proud of himself and then when we approached the truck he got even more worked up and decided that he should try and enter through the front windshield via the hood. He had no trouble or issues with repeatedly leaping up there and running around (it's a good thing it's an old vehicle or I'd be really mad about my paint job).
He's very happy to have me pet him and take him out though occasionally I can see his body language change to hesitant when I move to do something with him. In 2 days though he's made tremendous strides in trusting me as well as trusting my decisions for him. And he seems relatively fine with my husband though I have not had him handle the dog as of yet.

Do you know what his prey drive is? At work I have the name of some folks looking for high drive dogs for security work.

I have no idea what his prey drive is like at this point since he's too busy being worried and worked up that I'm going to leave him to really do any work with him. I do know that it's very natural for him to react defensively and he would probably do well as an area guard (he lights up really nice and we already know he'll bite) and with some more training would be a personal protection type dog. Right now he needs to be exposed to the world and learn some obedience.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby airwalk » January 21st, 2008, 8:41 pm

K if you find you might be interested, let me know.
airwalk
I live here

Postby pocketpit » January 21st, 2008, 8:50 pm

Oh trust me I am interested in talking to you as well as to the Dutchie folks that Katrina knows. When I took him it was with concern for public safety and a fondness for the breed. I have the experience to deal with him so I stepped up but with our own dogs and the other 2 fosters, I would not mind handing him over to someone else who also has the capability to work with him.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby airwalk » January 21st, 2008, 9:35 pm

K, I'll find the info tomorrow (probably late afternoon) and send it to you.
airwalk
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » January 21st, 2008, 9:37 pm

On January 21 2008, 7:50 PM, pocketpit wrote:

Oh trust me I am interested in talking to you as well as to the Dutchie folks that Katrina knows. When I took him it was with concern for public safety and a fondness for the breed. I have the experience to deal with him so I stepped up but with our own dogs and the other 2 fosters, I would not mind handing him over to someone else who also has the capability to work with him.

I'll call my Dutchie contact...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder