UKC Conformation Requirements

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby katiek0417 » January 12th, 2008, 11:57 pm

Okay, so I'm considering showing Nisha and Kaiden in a UKC Conformation Event.

Can anyone tell me what they require? Do they open their mouths? How much touching, etc?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby pocketpit » January 13th, 2008, 12:02 am

Well I'm sure there are others more qualified than I to answer this but my brief UKC conformation venture was pretty identical to showing in AKC. The judges do run their hands over the dog, but most will ask you to show them the bite rather than do it themselves.
User avatar
pocketpit
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1201
Location: WA

Postby katiek0417 » January 13th, 2008, 12:40 am

On January 12 2008, 11:02 PM, pocketpit wrote:Well I'm sure there are others more qualified than I to answer this but my brief UKC conformation venture was pretty identical to showing in AKC. The judges do run their hands over the dog, but most will ask you to show them the bite rather than do it themselves.


Okay, good...my dogs will let me play with their muzzles, but they're not so happy when other people do it (actually, Kaiden probably wouldn't care)...

And when they run their hands over the dog, how hard are they doing it?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 13th, 2008, 2:44 pm

Yes the judges go over the dogs some judges are more hands on then others. Some will even move and reposition legs out of place to set them properly to see the structure better. The handler shows the bite. You have to show both the front and side bite as they not only check for the correct bite but the right amount of teeth

Males get their testicles checked too to make sure both are there.

There is both handler stacking and free stacking . Some judges may also tell you they don't want the dogs set up but free stacked as you enter . It depends on the individual judge so be prepared for both.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
User avatar
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger
 
Posts: 4426
Location: Northeastern, USA

Postby katiek0417 » January 13th, 2008, 5:10 pm

On January 13 2008, 1:44 PM, Patch O' Pits wrote:Yes the judges go over the dogs some judges are more hands on then others. Some will even move and reposition legs out of place to set them properly to see the structure better. The handler shows the bite. You have to show both the front and side bite as they not only check for the correct bite but the right amount of teeth

Males get their testicles checked too to make sure both are there.

There is both handler stacking and free stacking . Some judges may also tell you they don't want the dogs set up but free stacked as you enter . It depends on the individual judge so be prepared for both.


Does it matter if Nisha stacks on her own when I give her the stand command....she just does it naturally...

Do you show both sides of the mouth?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 13th, 2008, 5:29 pm

On January 13 2008, katiek0417 wrote:
Does it matter if Nisha stacks on her own when I give her the stand command....she just does it naturally...

Do you show both sides of the mouth?


That would be free stacking you can give a command but can't touch the dog on a free stack.

Also wanted to add "Some" judges allow baiting and others don't.

Most only ask to see front and one side though they may ask for both depending on the judge.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
User avatar
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger
 
Posts: 4426
Location: Northeastern, USA

Postby katiek0417 » January 13th, 2008, 7:35 pm

On January 13 2008, 4:29 PM, Patch O' Pits wrote:
On January 13 2008, katiek0417 wrote:
Does it matter if Nisha stacks on her own when I give her the stand command....she just does it naturally...

Do you show both sides of the mouth?


That would be free stacking you can give a command but can't touch the dog on a free stack.

Also wanted to add "Some" judges allow baiting and others don't.

Most only ask to see front and one side though they may ask for both depending on the judge.


Awesome...thank you SO much for the information...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 13th, 2008, 7:40 pm

It helps a lot if you can get out to a show and watch and ask questions before hand if possible. If I'm at the show you are I'll gladly help you
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
User avatar
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger
 
Posts: 4426
Location: Northeastern, USA

Postby katiek0417 » January 13th, 2008, 7:52 pm

On January 13 2008, 6:40 PM, Patch O' Pits wrote:It helps a lot if you can get out to a show and watch and ask questions before hand if possible. If I'm at the show you are I'll gladly help you


Thank you SO much...I'm so new to "showing." I mean, typically, when I talk about showing a dog, I take them out there and let them bite...

I just thought this would be a fun thing I could do with my dogs...

The show that I'm thinking about attending is in April (I believe)...I'm learning that most conformation shows have a herding group, but it says you can't show the BSD (Belgian Shepherd Dogs, of which malinois is one)...do you have any idea why?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby Leslie H » January 13th, 2008, 9:03 pm

The BSD national club (I think I've got this right) asks a lot more of their judges, I think they have to give an oral critique (maybe written), and they may ask dogs to participate in "assisted animation" or something to that effect, which involves dogs standing around and barking for a long time. My info may be pretty faulty, I did know this stuff years ago, and I was showing in a building when they did the AA, so I remember the barking.
If you look on UKC's list of judges, you'll see that only a few are allowed to judge the BSD, they need a special training process (also true for the apbt, eskie, and toy fox terrier), beyond their basic judging license.
User avatar
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull
 
Posts: 372
Location: NW CT

Postby katiek0417 » January 13th, 2008, 10:35 pm

On January 13 2008, 8:03 PM, Leslie H wrote:The BSD national club (I think I've got this right) asks a lot more of their judges, I think they have to give an oral critique (maybe written), and they may ask dogs to participate in "assisted animation" or something to that effect, which involves dogs standing around and barking for a long time. My info may be pretty faulty, I did know this stuff years ago, and I was showing in a building when they did the AA, so I remember the barking.
If you look on UKC's list of judges, you'll see that only a few are allowed to judge the BSD, they need a special training process (also true for the apbt, eskie, and toy fox terrier), beyond their basic judging license.


Okay, so that might make some sense. I know that getting an APBT registered (single registry) is pretty tough with UKC, but it was fairly simple for my mal...

I did, in fact, notice, though that there were only a few judges allowed to judge the BSD...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby ellie@ny » January 14th, 2008, 5:02 pm

I think everything has been said already,also you can always offer to the judge,if he wants you to show your dog bite.They never said no to me! :wink:
Good luck and just try to have fun! :)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
User avatar
ellie@ny
Full of Bully
 
Posts: 1979
Location: NY

Postby katiek0417 » January 14th, 2008, 9:30 pm

On January 14 2008, 4:02 PM, ellie@ny wrote:I think everything has been said already,also you can always offer to the judge,if he wants you to show your dog bite.They never said no to me! :wink:
Good luck and just try to have fun! :)


That's VERY good to know...My dog's teeth are fine, and, like I said, they don't mind me handling their mouths...but I don't know that I want to risk other people looking...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby luvmypitties » January 14th, 2008, 11:53 pm

see I told you you didnt have much to worry about! I think they will both be fine! I showed you how you can hold them so you can show the bite and everything. I have been in several shows with the pitbull i used to show and not to mention the ones I have watched
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
User avatar
luvmypitties
I live here
 
Posts: 4549
Location: Fredericksburg VA

Postby katiek0417 » January 15th, 2008, 2:30 pm

On January 14 2008, 10:53 PM, luvmypitties wrote:see I told you you didnt have much to worry about! I think they will both be fine! I showed you how you can hold them so you can show the bite and everything. I have been in several shows with the pitbull i used to show and not to mention the ones I have watched


I just like to worry ;) Besides, I'm assuming it's looked down upon if your dog bites the judge ;)
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby ellie@ny » January 16th, 2008, 6:22 pm

Finally I've found this video for you,it's worth to watch,very boring though... :D

I believe it's like 10-15 years old,but there are good things in it what you can learn about showing. :wink:
Part one
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 52&q=guide dog

Part two
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7726493475
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
User avatar
ellie@ny
Full of Bully
 
Posts: 1979
Location: NY

Postby katiek0417 » January 16th, 2008, 7:51 pm

On January 16 2008, 5:22 PM, ellie@ny wrote:Finally I've found this video for you,it's worth to watch,very boring though... :D

I believe it's like 10-15 years old,but there are good things in it what you can learn about showing. :wink:
Part one
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 52&q=guide dog

Part two
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7726493475


Oh, cool...thank you so much!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD


Return to Conformation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]

cron