Harley's got parvo :( UPDATE!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby msvette2u » March 17th, 2006, 12:31 pm

I don't know as food right at this time is the best thing, the most important thing is fluids. He could go longer without food, than the fluids.
As I understand it, parvo irritates the stomach and intestinal tract so maybe withhold food for the time being, and when he can eat again, give only rice, or something very bland like that, that doesn't take much to digest.
The parvo link above, gives good information on diet, etc. for recovery.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » March 17th, 2006, 1:36 pm

concreterose wrote:I used a supplement that was a lifesaver called Parvaid. If you decide to order it, you can call the company and they will give you the recipe for the tea over the phone so you can administer it while waiting for it to get there in the mail.

I've heard really good things about Parvaid. Had a friend with a dog who got parvo, and used the parvaid, and it really helped.

I really do hope Harley is okay (and you are, too). My prayers are with you!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Insomnia » March 17th, 2006, 1:46 pm

I just contacted the guys from Parvaid, waiting for a reply, I will call them soon again, they're looking into the price for shipping to taiwan. I hope UPS or Fed Ex can do overnight delivery, I know they can do it with letters, I'm sure they can do it with that too.....
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Insomnia » March 17th, 2006, 5:07 pm

got Parvaid ordered!! Got the recipe for the emergency tea! it's off to GNC after work, I hope Harley's okay right now!!!
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 17th, 2006, 5:40 pm

Make sure you get some rest yourself - if you fall ill from exhaustion he won't have a chance. Good luck!

:hug3:
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 17th, 2006, 5:51 pm

I'm so very sorry he is ill!

Prayers for you both!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby luvmyangels » March 17th, 2006, 6:29 pm

I am sorry to hear all you are going through. I hope Harley will get better soon.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby concreterose » March 17th, 2006, 11:38 pm

Insomnia wrote:got Parvaid ordered!! Got the recipe for the emergency tea! it's off to GNC after work, I hope Harley's okay right now!!!

Very good! Everything will work out, I just know it. Give that pup a hug from me!
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby CinderDee » March 18th, 2006, 6:47 am

Just wanted to send my good thoughts to you & Harley!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Maryellen » March 18th, 2006, 10:24 pm

how is harley?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 19th, 2006, 1:42 pm

okay....he is no longer having bloody diahrea, he still have diahrea, but it's regular stool color, but still all liquid, I don't think he's vomiting anymore. The vet told me no food, he'll try tomorrow noon if he can hold down any food, but he is totally out of energy, can barely stand up on his own, should I Just force down some baby food???
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Insomnia » March 19th, 2006, 2:40 pm

okay...he seemed better earlier today just out of energy. Now I dunno if gained some strength back or his situation has worsened. I can no longer force feed him the pedialyte or the emergency tea from Parvaid, he will go crazy and bite me. What should I do?? Wait for the vet visit in the morning? He is not having much diahrea, and is still urinating some, and I don't think he's vomiting.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 19th, 2006, 2:54 pm

since he is not too thrilled with the force feeding, maybe put some chicken broth in a bowl and see if he will drink it on his own? or some beef or chicken baby food? is the vet you used open today? how is he acting, is he trying to move around?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 19th, 2006, 3:06 pm

It's 3:00am here right now, he did go in for another 800cc of IV today, He is going back for IV at 10:30 in the morning.

I put baby food chicken & broth with some added water in a bowl and left it in his dog house.......he is not trying to get up and move around, he does get up and pee though....

The vet's pretty sure the 800cc of IV daily can keep him hydrated, but I worry that he hasn't eat since thursday....but why is he acting crazy when I try to feed him?
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Insomnia » March 19th, 2006, 3:13 pm

I jsut checked on the baby food and water, he hasn't touched it. He'll try to bark or scream (i can't tell the difference) when I try to get a hold of him.

If I can't feed him right now, I'm thinking I should get some sleep and wait 'til the morning?? Or should I just keep checking on him?
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » March 19th, 2006, 4:05 pm

Get some sleep. There is nothing you will be able to do but wait it out at this point. Keep your chin up.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » March 19th, 2006, 4:14 pm

Insomnia wrote:I jsut checked on the baby food and water, he hasn't touched it. He'll try to bark or scream (i can't tell the difference) when I try to get a hold of him.

If I can't feed him right now, I'm thinking I should get some sleep and wait 'til the morning?? Or should I just keep checking on him?

The fluids are more important than food. Remember that parvo IRRITATES his GI lining. Food will make him sick again. Follow the vets advice and wait until the vet checks him again to feed.
Fluids are wayyy more important. It's normal for him to feel weak and washed out, even as he recovers. But trust me, feeding him will only likely set him back at this point.
A sick dog doesn't want to be messed with. His stomach may hurt and if you hold him to force feed him he thinks you are hurting him more, and will try to hurt you.
Like Cheeky said, get some rest and let him rest. He needs rest and quiet, to recover...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 20th, 2006, 2:50 am

he just finished his daily IV today, he feels a lot better after daily IV, but will drain out by night time. It's actually quite funny 'cuz every day when we go to the vet, he will not stand up or anything until at the vet's door, he will pee and then walk in himself, seem like he knows that he will feel better on the IV. Good thing is that he is not having diahrea as much if any at all......I let him have a few lick of water (just to see if he can hold anything down) and he vomit it right back up. So I guess even when I receive the Parvaid tonight, I won't force him to have it. He is totally out of energy, the only time he gets up and walk is after the IV. So I guess he'll just have to battle it out himself with some help from the IV.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Purple » March 20th, 2006, 5:00 am

Sending good thoughts.....
Purple
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 20th, 2006, 8:53 am

Harley got 1000cc of IV fluid today, but he act like he's super thirsty. He will wake up and walk around look for water. But when he drink water, sometime he will vomit. I just feel so bad for him, I had to leave some water out there.......should I take it away?
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health