Christine & Mick

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Emi » January 9th, 2008, 8:58 am

Christine, i'm so sorry to hear this.

You know , you will do what you think is best for both you and Mick in the long run. And every one will be here to support you both.

:groupHug:
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 9th, 2008, 9:28 am

On Wed, Jan 09 2008, 12:34 AM, amazincc wrote:My heart just hurts... for him, for me... and as much as I want him to live - I somehow can't justify to myself to go about it this way.
I do want it understood that this is not the "easy way out" for me... it's damned hard and I've already been second-guessing myself 50 times, just typing this. I haven't made a final decision yet... but my heart is telling me to switch over to the oral meds and just let Mick enjoy his remaining time w/us... he so LOVES life... and I so LOVE him.

There is no "easy way out" in your situation. There is only what is right for you and for Mick. You're the one who knows what that is and we will all stand by you in whatever you decide to do. :hug3:

I agree with Joyce -- make a list of pros and cons and look at it with your logical mind. Hopefully that will help.

Love and hugs to you and Mick!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 9th, 2008, 9:31 am

Oh Christine, I started crying when you wrote that Mick still got you a leaf after that. I think we all know that whatever choice you make is not going to be "the easy way out." I can't imagine the position you're in right now, but I do know that you have Mick's best interests at heart. Whatever you do, we support you 100%.

Give the big lug some scritches right at the base of his tail from me and Inara.

:hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby lellis34 » January 9th, 2008, 12:11 pm

Christine - My heart is breaking for you right now. I can't imagine the pain you must be feeling. Mick is a very special dog in so many ways. Perhaps a little valium is worth a shot before his next visit, see if it makes it any easier for him. I wish I could wave a magic wand and he'd be cured, or at the very least a clear path would open up and you'd know what decision you had to make. Whatever happens, whatever you decide, we know - and you know - that in your heart you truly love this dog and only would do what's best for him.
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby gayrghts » January 9th, 2008, 1:20 pm

hugggs..... whatever you decide.... you know we'll be behind you....

I wish there was a way to wave a magic wand.... and make all this go away.....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » January 9th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Oh gosh! I am so sorry. I can not imagine what you are going through but I am sure it is not easy. I agree with Joyce when she said you have to sit and list the pros/cons and then you can take it from there. I would not want to be in your position because I would not know what to do at this point. I wish you all the best.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » January 9th, 2008, 5:12 pm

I dont even have words to tell you how I feel. But there IS no easy way out of this situation. Do what is best for Mick. We are all on your side. Love to you all :cry:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » January 9th, 2008, 5:41 pm

:hug3: You both are still in my thoughts, and I'm sorry this is just so hard on the both of you. :(
Jenn
undecided

Postby madremissy » January 9th, 2008, 5:47 pm

:hug3: I am thinking about both of you. We are here for you.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby hugapitbull » January 9th, 2008, 9:04 pm

On January 09 2008, 12:34 AM, amazincc wrote:And the killer was definitely the palm leaf he picked up in the parking lot on the way out of the vet office... he was still shaking, but he picked it up, carried it to my daughters car, jumped in the back seat w/me, nudged me - and gave it to me.
My heart absolutely went to pieces over that...

Christine, this is so touching. I have to believe he knows you are trying to help him, and apologizing for his fear or maybe assuring you he forgives you?

This is so heartbreaking to read, I can't imagine how difficult this is for both of you. You have lots of support here from the guys who have been around a while, and also from us newbies just learning the different characters.

Hugs & Slurpies from me and Troub,
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby APBTgal » January 10th, 2008, 6:27 pm

:( I am so sorry to hear about Mick. You are in my prayers. What ever your decision is it will be right for you both. Mick loves you and knows you love him. Keep a positive outlook things might change. I pray they do for you both. Give Mick hugs and kisses every day and tell him its going to be ok for me. :hug3: :itsOK:
APBTgal
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby blayzeingsun » January 10th, 2008, 7:17 pm

Oh that is so hard. Whatever you decide to do we will support you 100% I would hate to have to make that kind of a decision. Here's hoping for a better one next time whatever you decide and give mick a big hug for me.
blayzeingsun
Loyally Bully

Postby Jessica » January 11th, 2008, 3:32 am

Mickey has been pretty sick with diarrhea and he has been throwing up a lot. My Mom is giving him medication for both and she is really worried about him. He is still bringing her a leaf every day even though he doesn't feel good and it makes her even sadder - that he is still thinking of her despite being so sick. :(

Here he is before his last chemo treatment

And afterwards
Jessica
Jessica
Just Whelped

Postby CinderDee » January 11th, 2008, 4:48 am

I'm sorry Mick is so sick. :( Kato was getting really sick from Vincristine too, so they changed a couple of things around and he's fine with it now. I don't know if this will be any help to you, but here's what my Oncologist did. They gave him a new med for nausea called Cerenia. It's really made a big difference. I don't know if it's all due to the Cerenia, but Kate hasn't vomited at all in weeks, even when he was treated with Adria, which really made him ill in the past. They also switched Kato to Vinblastine instead of Vincristine, but that was after Kate had Vincristine quite a few times and it just wasn't agreeing with him.

You are all in my thoughts. Hang in there....it goes away in a day or two.

*hugs*
Dee & Kato
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby gayrghts » January 11th, 2008, 5:26 am

On January 11 2008, 2:32 AM, Jessica wrote:Mickey has been pretty sick with diarrhea and he has been throwing up a lot. My Mom is giving him medication for both and she is really worried about him. He is still bringing her a leaf every day even though he doesn't feel good and it makes her even sadder - that he is still thinking of her despite being so sick. :(

Jess, and Christine, the vomiting and diarrhea is pretty common, even though it sucks.... it usually does get better as his system gets more used to it...

The leaf is freakin amazing.... i love hearing that... but i bet it does make her sad.... as well as pleased :)
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby Marinepits » January 11th, 2008, 7:10 am

Jessica -- thank you for keeping us updated! Let your mom know we're all thinking of her and Mick and praying that he feels better fast!

Dee -- thank you for your insight!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jessica » January 11th, 2008, 7:49 am

Mickey is on Cerenia and Metronidazole right now and he has been taking it since last Sunday.
Jessica
Jessica
Just Whelped

Postby luvmypitties » January 11th, 2008, 12:29 pm

I am so sorry that he isnt feeling well. He is still in our thoughts an prayers. I am also sorry to you guys for what you are having to go through as well.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 11th, 2008, 1:42 pm

I'm so sad for you, mick and your family...

When Riggs was really sick last December they gave him an injected anti-nausea drug, they may not be able to do that for him, but you might want to ask. I also know that in people they sometimes put in a shunt so that you don't have to try and find a vein every time you have to do chemo, is that a possibility? Maybe that would allow them to make the visits shorter and possibly less stressful?

I know you're getting a million suggestions from every side, which is dizzying.

A few years ago, I lost my very young cat to liver failure. There were a few treatment options that would have prolonged his life and possibly saved him but they would have been extremely stressful for him and lasted for 6 months or longer. I completely understand what you are going through with that decision. It is not easy, there is no "easy" in this situation.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby madremissy » January 11th, 2008, 2:17 pm

On January 11 2008, 12:42 PM, mnp13 wrote:I'm so sad for you, mick and your family...

When Riggs was really sick last December they gave him an injected anti-nausea drug, they may not be able to do that for him, but you might want to ask. I also know that in people they sometimes put in a shunt so that you don't have to try and find a vein every time you have to do chemo, is that a possibility? Maybe that would allow them to make the visits shorter and possibly less stressful?

I know you're getting a million suggestions from every side, which is dizzying.

A few years ago, I lost my very young cat to liver failure. There were a few treatment options that would have prolonged his life and possibly saved him but they would have been extremely stressful for him and lasted for 6 months or longer. I completely understand what you are going through with that decision. It is not easy, there is no "easy" in this situation.

I don't know if it is the same for dogs, but when I was going through mine I had a pick line. They left it in because my veins were so burnt up from everything else. Plus I was like Mick, scared to death and kinda fought it the whole time. I would get some anxiety medicine first through the line then proceed with the other. Don't know if this will help, but I thought I would suggest it. Made it easier on me and my husband. I know Christine this is so hard on you. You never want to see the ones you love in distress. Chemo is not fun to go through. My thoughts are with you everyday.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer