Question about Dogs & Elevators..

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Hoyden » March 18th, 2006, 8:14 pm

I took Birdie to the mall today to work on obedience with distractions. (She loves Old Navy by the way!)

I have only had Birdie in an elevator one time prior to this - when we went to visit at the hospital.

So we went up and she was fine, but when we came back down later - she was shaking like a leaf - and wanted out as quick as possible.

There were other people in the elevator with us including two baby strollers - so I made her wait until the strollers exited before allowing her to exit, and I ignored her shaking.

I didn't coddle her, but I want to make sure she is fine in the elevator in the future.

So do I just continue to take her on the elevator and ignore the shaking?
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby msvette2u » March 18th, 2006, 8:17 pm

I think so. It's unsettling to be going DOWN with the feeling your feet are going out from under you.

She should get used to it.

Maybe reinforce her riding in it with a treat?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 18th, 2006, 8:29 pm

Just keep doing what you are doing, the coming down gives them buttreflies in their tummies and it feels weird, they get used to it pretty quickly.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » March 18th, 2006, 8:41 pm

One time I was at a hotel with Maya,and we got our room on the 2.level.So I choosed the elevator with her,cause my hands was full with bags.First time she was shaking going up,and was in a almost lay down position.Then she got used to it,because I used all weekend long with her,and after that she was fine with it!Nico was the same even with stairs!!!He wanted to jump down from the top level,just to skip the stairs..
Then he was fine...They have to learn! :)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 18th, 2006, 9:30 pm

try to do it more with no one in the elevator.. thats what i did with rufus.. we went up and down like 10 times every weekend.. (i used the work elevator on saturdays as the building is open for the dr offices there) then i brought him to work one afternoon when i had off and had some of my coworkers come on with me and give him treats.. worked like a charm

and keep ignoring her behavior too
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 19th, 2006, 12:26 am

Make entereing and exiting the elevator a command, and reward for that. Ignore the shaking, she'll (hopefully) learn to deal with it.

We go to the airport to do dog safety presentations for the boy and girl scout sleepovers. It took a couple times before Ruby was good with the revolving door and the escalators. I never tried the elevator though. I guess we'll do that on Friday!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 20th, 2006, 1:57 pm

I love the looks on thier faces when the same door opens but there are completely different things on the other side! They get used to it, but that first time is priceless!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 20th, 2006, 2:29 pm

Maryellen wrote:try to do it more with no one in the elevator.. thats what i did with rufus.. we went up and down like 10 times every weekend.. (i used the work elevator on saturdays as the building is open for the dr offices there) then i brought him to work one afternoon when i had off and had some of my coworkers come on with me and give him treats.. worked like a charm

and keep ignoring her behavior too

I agree with maryellen.
Keep up the good work! :P
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Training & Behavior