How would you handle this...?

Postby msvette2u » January 8th, 2008, 11:39 am

I have an older couple interested in adopting Diesel, and I need to find out what they'll do if one is disabled (or dies) and they cannot keep the dog any longer. He's 18mos-2yrs.
They are 69 and 74.
Is it rude to ask them to write something in their will about the dog? They are local to us, so it'd be easy to take him back should something happen.
How do I WORD that without sounding like a vulture...??
Oh - I mean, we have everyone sign paperwork stating the dog WILL come back here, but I'm thinking something should be in their will or something??
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby gayrghts » January 8th, 2008, 12:06 pm

On January 08 2008, 10:39 AM, msvette2u wrote:I have an older couple interested in adopting Diesel, and I need to find out what they'll do if one is disabled (or dies) and they cannot keep the dog any longer. He's 18mos-2yrs.
They are 69 and 74.
Is it rude to ask them to write something in their will about the dog? They are local to us, so it'd be easy to take him back should something happen.
How do I WORD that without sounding like a vulture...??
Oh - I mean, we have everyone sign paperwork stating the dog WILL come back here, but I'm thinking something should be in their will or something??

I would just discuss it calling it long term planning, or long term care.... and act like you discuss it with everyone...

Because theoretically, the 25 yr old couple could die in a car accident etc, just as quickly as the older couple could die from old age.
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby msvette2u » January 8th, 2008, 12:10 pm

True enough.
We have a spot on our agreement form that states the dog will return to us should you not be able to keep it any longer.
Many times older people DO provide for the dog, with a relative, etc.
These people just said "We'd be dead" on the part that states what you'd do if you could not keep it.
I'll ask them to expound I guess :|
msvette2u
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » January 8th, 2008, 12:46 pm

We had an elderly woman come in to raise one of our Assistance Dog puppies this past year. She was chatting through the interview, and point-blank said..."what happens if I go clunk while I'm raising this puppy?" We looked at each other (the other coordinator and I) and said..."that's a great point, and we never thought about it before!" She lives in a retirement community, but they can't legally open the door until police arrive...which would be bad if you have an animal alive in there! She laughed after she said it...so we were much more relaxed about her bluntness...and appreciated it greatly!

We now have a mention of it during our interview and home visit...because things can happen no matter how old you are! So we have back-up plans to get our puppies back to us, if anything happens to the family/individual who is raising.

We just had one of our young trainers have an issue like this recently too...she had a seizure while asleep in bed, and was unconscious for a day or so and didn't show up to work on Monday...she had a litter of puppies and the mom in the house along with her pet dogs too...luckily someone went and checked on her...and took care of the dogs.

So, I'd maybe put it in everyone's interview anyways...just drop hints if need be...about making plans for the animals in case anything happens.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby airwalk » January 8th, 2008, 12:50 pm

I think it is perfectly acceptable to ask what would happen if the dog should outlive them. We do it!
airwalk
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » January 8th, 2008, 1:16 pm

I agree...I put a part about that in my purchase agreement for puppies..."In the event of sudden illness, death, or any other reason that would make it impossible to continue care for the above named pet, the puppy would be returned to the breeder unless other arrangements are made, in advance, and agreed upon by breeder and purchaser."
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » January 8th, 2008, 1:27 pm

I agree... it's a perfectly good and legitimate point! And they wouldn't necessarily have to "be dead"... a lot of nursing homes do not allow pets. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby msvette2u » January 8th, 2008, 2:25 pm

Thanks all - Katie, I stole your clause and will incorporate it into the agreement.
;)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » January 8th, 2008, 2:49 pm

On Tue, Jan 08 2008, 12:16 PM, katiek0417 wrote:I agree...I put a part about that in my purchase agreement for puppies..."In the event of sudden illness, death, or any other reason that would make it impossible to continue care for the above named pet, the puppy would be returned to the breeder unless other arrangements are made, in advance, and agreed upon by breeder and purchaser."

Ooooo, I LIKE that!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby luvmypitties » January 8th, 2008, 11:50 pm

Also check this out!! Might be something to consider to help your rescue as well if you do decide to adopt to them.

From the Pets for Seniors Program web site:

Purina partners with nearly 200 shelters nationwide to provide senior citizens with reduced cost pet adoptions. Participating humane shelters are reimbursed $50 for every senior adoption to help defray the costs of spaying or neutering‚ vaccinations‚ and other fees.

GET WITH THE PROGRAM!
Wouldn’t it be great to enable senior citizens in your community to adopt animals at little or no cost? Get involved with the Purina® Pets for Seniors program!

MEMBERSHIP CRITERIA:
All organizations who would like to be considered for the Senior Adoption program:
Must have a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization status with a determination letter from the IRS.
May not have a contract with a competitive pet food manufacturer.

PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
Organizations that meet membership criteria should indicate their interest in joining by October 31, 2008. Selected shelters are offered annual agreements for the following year (January 1st-December 31st, 2009).
To qualify for reimbursement, participating senior citizen adopters must complete a Purina® Pets for Seniors Adoption Application.
You must explain to each senior adopter the new adoption kit program Give A Bowl™ as well as the benefits of feeding Purina® brand pet food.
Each quarter, your shelter must submit online adoption reimbursement forms within 60 days from the date of the adoption to qualify for reimbursement from Purina.
Shelters are eligible for contract renewals based on attaining 80% of available reimbursements from the prior contract year.

See for additional information regarding this program: http://www.purinapetsforseniors.com/learnMore.aspx?LI=1
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Return to Rescue