Thinking of starting a transporting business.

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Marty » March 16th, 2006, 10:28 pm

I'm thinking of starting to Transport dogs myself, I hurt my back again today and I need to do something different, if you have any info to get me started please post it here, I know to look out for BSL and bans in different states,please post all the ups and downs of transporting that you know of , I will guarantee safe delivery on time anywhere in the US, will keep phone contact the whole trip

I have 20 + yrs with the dogs so I don't see any problem with it :D

I have references if needed :)
Marty
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 16th, 2006, 10:38 pm

to transport you MUST MUST have vet records proving the dogs you are transporting over state lines have been vaccinated and are ok health wise. you have to make sure you are dealing with reputable people, so i suggest you join all the DNA lists on yahoo..
have various crates to transport the dogs/puppies.. do not transport any sick dogs/puppies.. plan what routes you will do. will you do your area only, out of state, how many miles will you go?? once you figure that all out i can set you up with some dna lists and two transporters that can help you get started... you have to have routes made with stops for potty breaks and meeting the next transporter, plus a cell phone.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 16th, 2006, 10:38 pm

All of the transports that I have ever done are volunteer, I don't know how it would work as a business
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » March 16th, 2006, 10:40 pm

there are people that will do transports for money. i posted one in rescue that is a trucker.. they charge a reasonable fee and give back to the dogs . but most transporters are volunteers.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 16th, 2006, 10:40 pm

here is the link marty to what i posted in rescue.

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1569
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Marty » March 16th, 2006, 11:14 pm

Thank you all, I'm reaserching before I get into it ;)

I will do it the right way or no way at all :D
Marty
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Jenn » March 16th, 2006, 11:40 pm

The only "down" I can think of other than the heat of summer, is gas prices! I noticed today they went up again, that could make or break a transporting business in actually making money. Fluctuating gas prices would have to cause fluctuating prices. That and of course the cost of having a good dependable vehicle, and I'm assuming a transport trailer? Most important thing to do would be to get the word out, and to have the room or accomadations to be able to transport all breeds. There could definitely be money to be made, if thought out and routes planned appropriately. You'd have to be very well organized and a people person for sure.
Jenn
undecided

Postby Marty » March 16th, 2006, 11:45 pm

Thanks Jenn, I'm researching it right now before I get into it, I'll keep it in mind Thanks :D
Marty
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » March 16th, 2006, 11:48 pm

Wow, good stuff. Good luck with that! Here's a little info. regarding Mass. laws:

Shipment of Dogs into the Commonwealth is regulated by the Code of Massachusetts Regulations (CMR), chapter 330 section 3.00. If you are adopting a dog from out-of-state, you would do well to familiarize yourself and comply with this section of the CMR, which requires that

all dogs shipped or in any way transported into the Commonwealth of Massachusetts from any point outside thereof must be accompanied by a health certificate approved by the Livestock Official of the State of origin showing that they are free from all symptoms of infectious, contagious and communicable diseases; that they have not been exposed to rabies and if vaccinated the certificate shall include the date of vaccination.

Any dog which originated in an area where rabies has been known to exist within a period of six months prior to importation shall have been properly vaccinated with rabies vaccine within 12 months prior to date of importation and may, at the discretion of the Director, be subject to quarantine at destination for a period of not less than 14 days following arrival within the Commonwealth.
a-bull
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » March 17th, 2006, 2:18 pm

you beat me to it! So many rescues are doing it, and it's illegal! Just watch out for Mass. Although, even if you are the transporter- it is the responsibility of the rescue to know this- it is there butt that would be on the line.

This is making me think of the movie "The Transporter"
ahh....Jason Stathom. :rainbowSmile: Watching the Transporter 2 this weekend
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Purple » March 17th, 2006, 11:44 pm

I'm sure you already thought of this, but use your contacts to advertise with breeders. I know there are a few out there who will not fly their pups or dogs.
Advertising at shows would be another option, too.
Purple
I live here

Postby Sariss » March 18th, 2006, 3:35 pm

That would be so cool!

I remember once coming very close to adopting a Min Pin from a humane society in the city I went to College. He was gonna come home with me when I went home for the summer. But, a dog in his ward had parvo, so he had to be quarentined, and I would already be home four hours away by the time he was cleared.
I tried and tried and TRIED to get a transport, but nothing ever came through, and I had to let the little dog go. :( Hopefully he found a good home.
Sariss
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marty » March 18th, 2006, 9:14 pm

Thanks for all the advice , as I said I'm researching all options before anything is carved in stone ;)
Marty
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Pit Bull Talk