Canine Cancer...

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby amazincc » January 5th, 2008, 10:08 pm

... is a horrible, horrible and incurable disease. Jen (Marinepits) created this section for people like Cinderdee and myself, whose dogs are battling Lymphoma.
Please feel free to post here - whether it may be advise, a shout of support, a personal story about your own dogs battle w/cancer, or any questions you may have.

Thank you so much, Jen, for giving us a place to go to... :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Marinepits » January 5th, 2008, 10:29 pm

You're welcome! :hug3:

I think we can all benefit from this section -- you never know when it might happen to your family and having others share their experiences will help you through the tough times.

Anyone who has helped a dog through any kind of cancer, please post your experiences in this section!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » January 5th, 2008, 10:30 pm

I don"t know if this is a good question but here it goes> does it ever go into remission like a human could? :?

I just left you a reply on the other but I let you know again. My mom has put him on the prayer list at her church. I hope you don't mind. It is an Episcopal church and they have a service twice a year for people who want to bring their animals in to be blessed. Sammy and Tassy have the charm of St. Frances Xavier on their collars. He is supposed to be the Saint for animals. Just thought you would like to know that the whole congregation at All Saints Church in Jacksonville, Florida will be thinking of Mick this Sunday morning.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 5th, 2008, 10:32 pm

It does go into remission - CinderDee's Kato has beaten it! If you check lower down in this section, you'll see the thread about Kato.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby madremissy » January 5th, 2008, 10:51 pm

On January 05 2008, 9:32 PM, pitbullmamaliz wrote:It does go into remission - CinderDee's Kato has beaten it! If you check lower down in this section, you'll see the thread about Kato.

thanks, that wasn't up yet when I posted. Yeah. Well I will have to tell my mom to add Kato to. She can relate, she and my sister are also cancer survivors.
madremissy

Postby amazincc » January 5th, 2008, 11:43 pm

On January 05 2008, 9:30 PM, madremissy wrote:I don"t know if this is a good question but here it goes> does it ever go into remission like a human could? :?

I just left you a reply on the other but I let you know again. My mom has put him on the prayer list at her church. I hope you don't mind. It is an Episcopal church and they have a service twice a year for people who want to bring their animals in to be blessed. Sammy and Tassy have the charm of St. Frances Xavier on their collars. He is supposed to be the Saint for animals. Just thought you would like to know that the whole congregation at All Saints Church in Jacksonville, Florida will be thinking of Mick this Sunday morning.

This is what Micks oncologist gave me as a "guideline"...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prognosis
The prognosis of dogs with LSA is highly variable, and depends on the clinical stage (ill dogs fare more poorly than dogs that feel well, and dogs with Stage V disease are generally considered to have a poorer prognosis), the type of tumor (dogs with B-cell LSA usually do better than dogs with T-cell LSA). Most dogs treated with chemotherapy will experience a remission, a period in which there is no detectable cancer and the dog feels well. Remission times are variable, but most dogs with the lymph node forms of LSA will have initial remissions lasting in the range of 6-9 months before evidence of the tumor is seen again; second remissions can be achieved in many of these dogs, but any subsequent remission is expected to be shorter in duration than the first remission. Survival times for most dogs treated with combination chemotherapy protocols are in the range of approximately 1 year. And even though an individual dog will have received a lot of chemotherapy over that year, their quality of lfe is generally very good. Statistics, while useful, can never predict how an individual dog will fare with or without specific treatment.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kato was diagnosed w/B-cell... Mick has the other form.
And Thank You for putting them both on your prayer list! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » January 6th, 2008, 12:00 am

:( That was very helpful. I can understand better now.

Give Mick lots of ear rubs from my family. Hugs, kisses, butt rubs, whatever is his favorite. :)
madremissy

Postby Malli » January 6th, 2008, 12:23 am

On January 05 2008, pitbullmamaliz wrote:It does go into remission - CinderDee's Kato has beaten it! If you check lower down in this section, you'll see the thread about Kato.

I think we also need to understand what remission means, I looked it up to confirm what I thought it meant, from : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remission

the state of absence of disease activity in patients with a chronic illness, with the possibility of return of disease activity.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » January 6th, 2008, 12:28 am

On January 05 2008, 11:23 PM, Malli wrote:
On January 05 2008, pitbullmamaliz wrote:It does go into remission - CinderDee's Kato has beaten it! If you check lower down in this section, you'll see the thread about Kato.

I think we also need to understand what remission means, I looked it up to confirm what I thought it meant, from : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remission

the state of absence of disease activity in patients with a chronic illness, with the possibility of return of disease activity.

Yeah... remission definitely doesn't mean "cured"... that's why I posted Micks doctors guideline... :(
But - remissions can also last a long time, depending on the type of cancer and how the dog responds to treatment... so we can hope... :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » January 6th, 2008, 12:31 am

true true :) There is a dog that has been coming to my work for chemo since I started which is 2.5 years ago.

I didn't mean to put a damper on it, but just for people to truly understand...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » January 6th, 2008, 12:38 am

On January 05 2008, 11:31 PM, Malli wrote:true true :) There is a dog that has been coming to my work for chemo since I started which is 2.5 years ago.

I didn't mean to put a damper on it, but just for people to truly understand...

Trust me... I have read everything there is to know, and you didn't put a damper on it... before Mick got diagnosed, I also thought remission means "cured", and I was quite shocked when I learned what it truly means.
I think it's important to be realistic and hopeful at the same time, but pretending that it is was it isn't ... well, that doesn't help anyone.
Malli - you know I trust your advise completely, so feel free to correct any misinformation... :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » January 6th, 2008, 2:07 am

cancer is a bit of an enigma to me, honestly...
There are so many different types and kinds, this is really where serious medical knowledge comes in, that I don't have. I understand the basics (more then a lot of people) but the detailed ins and outs of each different type and its action, thats where my knowledge drops off. It is a complicated and awful disease, thats for sure.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby CinderDee » January 6th, 2008, 5:22 am

What a great idea! Thanks, Jen (Marinepits) & PBT! :)

Missy, thanks so much for putting Kato on the prayer list!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby madremissy » January 6th, 2008, 12:17 pm

On January 06 2008, 4:22 AM, CinderDee wrote:What a great idea! Thanks, Jen (Marinepits) & PBT! :)

Missy, thanks so much for putting Kato on the prayer list!

Your are so welcome. This church is amazing. They have been there for my whole family during some rough times in our life and their support for everybody is amazing. They realize how big a part animals are in our lives so that is why they include them.
madremissy

Postby Emi » January 6th, 2008, 12:26 pm

I think this is a good thing...

Not only Kato and Mick who are fighting cancer, but for the other one's who have went before them. Like the beautiful Sock-M. And many other's, it's a place for support and giving support.

Great idea.
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby ProudBullyMama » January 10th, 2008, 11:46 pm

OMG! Christine I am sooooo sorry !!!! :cry1:
I haven't been on here in so long...I'm just getting on here now, seeing the green ribbons and cannot believe it!
How do i do the "Mick's chick" ribbon thing?
Hey Jen...could ya please help me out w/ that?
I am so sick over this right now...i can't imagine what ur goin thru Christine!
Please...if u need to talk, vent...whatever...call me...u have my #.
U are such a wonderful person & it makes me so damn mad that u have to go thru something like this...after all u do to help others. Seems like selfish arseholes get along so much better in this world sometimes...and the good folks go thru so much more hardship. Enough to make u question God at times.
Well...just know that I'm here for u...call me if u need ANYTHING...and if there's some vet costs that we need to raise funds for...I'll do whatever I can to help out with that.
This is the only post I've seen on this so far. Is there already a fund set up somewhere to send donations to?
Please get back to me
Christine...u know my family loves u & will help in any way possible.
Keep your head up!
Kiss Mickey for me
"I am confident that the hottest places in hell are reserved for the souls of sick and brutal people who hold God's creatures in such brutal and cruel contempt,"
Senator Robert C. Byrd D-WV

http://www.myspace.com/luvmypitbulls
ProudBullyMama
Just Whelped

Postby Maximusflys » January 18th, 2008, 2:44 pm

Here is a link to a friends story and a place where they are researching cancer in dogs. All the dock jumping orgaizations last year helped raise over 100,000 dollars in helping to fund the research.

http://www.acvimfoundation.org/awarenes ... ancer.html
Brian & Maximus
http://www.teamtriplethreat.net
Sposored by
http://www.BLOCKYDOGS.com
http://www.animalfood.com
Conditioning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
Maximusflys
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » January 18th, 2008, 2:49 pm

Thanks for the link, Brian! I'm going to make it a sticky.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Return to Canine Cancer