Dilemma, Background or no?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby mnp13 » March 17th, 2006, 12:21 pm

Karen wrote:
Romanwild wrote:Nice! That's a painting? What medium?

Acrylic on canvas is the brush and texture. Here is a rough idea of what it is the short version. Really short.

You mean it is a painting or computer generated?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Asta » March 17th, 2006, 12:56 pm

Stunning just starts to describe what i think of your work ! And then to read that its done in a puter, really neat :)
Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby Pitcrew » March 17th, 2006, 1:08 pm

Sorry Karen, I thought you got it. Email me personally and I will send some in a reply. I am not very good at this stuff. His pics are off of a photographers disc and they take a while to download so I am never sure if I'm doing it correctly. (I have dial-up)
I will send you the disc or print the pics and send them if you like. I would love to have you do one of him.

marker_terriers@yahoo.com

Wow. It would be cool to get that stuff for my computer so I could play.

I would love to see what you would come up with for our logo. I have been toying with it, but I just dont have the time, and have done very little artwork in the last few years. Gotta get the kinks out.
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 17th, 2006, 6:16 pm

FANTASTIC!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Blitzkrieg Staffords » March 17th, 2006, 6:34 pm

Beautiful work! What a wonderful talent to be blessed with.
Blitzkrieg Staffords
Just Whelped

Postby luvmyangels » March 17th, 2006, 6:37 pm

Your work is phenomenal!!
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Karen » March 17th, 2006, 6:42 pm

Lisa wrote:Well, for the logo, we were thinking of the olympic ring idea, but flip the rings so there are 3 on top and 2 on the bottom... and in each one have a different bully breed... pit, amstaf, staffie, bull t., am bulldog, doing something different in each one. Like weight pulling, frizbee, agility, springpole, being cute... whatever. I would leave it up to you. Something that says what the bullfest is , and the breeds are... in a picture.

OK who has an AmBull that has a gazillion shots? I can probably get a Stafford and the Am Staffs are easy enough. The Bull Terrier might be a tough one. The spring pole might not be PC for a logo with the wonderful media :rolleyes2:
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby Karen » March 17th, 2006, 6:44 pm

mnp13 wrote:Acrylic on canvas is the brush and texture. Here is a rough idea of what it is the short version. Really short.

You mean it is a painting or computer generated?[/quote]

I explained exactly what it was in both pages and in posts. Computer generated as in how exactly are you meaning?
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 17th, 2006, 7:00 pm

I explained exactly what it was in both pages and in posts. Computer generated as in how exactly are you meaning?

Computer generated as in "photographic images run through a filter in a program to create the look of an oil painting/ watercolor/ acrilic painting/ pastel/ etc etc etc"

If you're not sure about a background on that picture, you can try 50 different ones in just a few minutes, from technicolor sunset to city high rises. you name it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Karen » March 17th, 2006, 7:04 pm

mnp13 wrote:

Computer generated as in "photographic images run through a filter in a program to create the look of an oil painting/ watercolor/ acrilic painting/ pastel/ etc etc etc"

If you're not sure about a background on that picture, you can try 50 different ones in just a few minutes, from technicolor sunset to city high rises. you name it.

Then no. It isn't a filter or any of that crap at all. I posted step by step how to pages. It is as real a drawing as on regular paper blocked out and done step be step, just more economical for me than wasting reams of supplies. I don't just plug in anything just because. It would be the actual setting of the bridge or none.
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby Romanwild » March 17th, 2006, 7:22 pm

So it's done on a computer. Oh, I thought you took a paint brush with arcrylic paint and stretched a peice of canvas around a frame and actually painted.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 17th, 2006, 8:41 pm

I am not sure if I am understanding the concept but I *think she has a computer tablet that she draws & paints on, she sees her work through the computer & prints it when it is perfect. The tablet is drawn on with a special pen type thing in which she can control the thickness of her strokes and also use it as a brush. She saves money on art supplies like paint & canvas & pens & pencils by doing it through her tablet. Pretty cool if you ask me. Of course I could be completly full of crap but it won't be the frist time. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby kymn25 » March 17th, 2006, 8:51 pm

HHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY Crap. That is so beautiful!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:bowDown:

The only part of the backgrond you might leave out is the jeans and t-shirt. I love the fence though.

:bowDown:
you rock
Pit Bulls know they are THE face of extinction. All that remains is where they make their final stand. Say NO to BSL!

http://www.Ucarerescue.net
kymn25
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Karen » March 17th, 2006, 9:21 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:I am not sure if I am understanding the concept but I *think she has a computer tablet that she draws & paints on, she sees her work through the computer & prints it when it is perfect. The tablet is drawn on with a special pen type thing in which she can control the thickness of her strokes and also use it as a brush. She saves money on art supplies like paint & canvas & pens & pencils by doing it through her tablet. Pretty cool if you ask me. Of course I could be completly full of crap but it won't be the frist time. :wink:

Debbie gets the cookie :D

Charles I have put 4 days about 6 hours each day painting that "computer thing" as you and Michelle seem to think of it. It IS a painting I mixed the colors, selected the brushes, blended in the painting where needed after I had sketched it out in light pencil. A 2-H pencil to be exact. The tablet and computer monitor are tools. Are you going to tell Karen Carr her artwork is just computer stuff? http://www.karencarr.com/

Scott Hull? Recognize any of his stuff? http://www.scotthull.com/

See any of Tim Warnock's art in a recent movie? I know you must have http://www.thenextside.com/

What can I say about Ryan Church? The movie sucked but his work was primo http://www.ryanchurch.com/

Forgot a favorite, I think he's awesome as far as a commercially out there Painter artist John Taylor Dismukes http://www.dismukes.com/index.html Recognize any movie posters?
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby Romanwild » March 17th, 2006, 9:49 pm

Karen wrote:Charles I have put 4 days about 6 hours each day painting that "computer thing" as you and Michelle seem to think of it. It IS a painting I mixed the colors, selected the brushes, blended in the painting where needed after I had sketched it out in light pencil. A 2-H pencil to be exact. The tablet and computer monitor are tools.

No need to get in a huff. Just trying to understand. I am not visually inclined but my ex has a masters in PAINTING. I gleamed a little info from her over the years we were together.

Painting involves paint. You used paint? The kind that comes in a can, tube or stick?

I have nothing against using a computer to create art or music but fssrom your explanation (as per the link you provided) it's done on a computer.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 18th, 2006, 12:00 am

I was looking at your APBT portraits - I love the one called Daddy's Girl! That is just really freakin' cute!
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » March 18th, 2006, 1:52 am

Karen, I'm very glad you enjoy what you are doing, and the work looks very good.

However, to call it painting is not accurate.

I went to school for art, I have BA's in both graphic design and photography. I have spent thousands on art supplies, and many hundreds of hours in studios covered in paint and breathing fumes. I learned from 'old school' professors who didn't allow any computer generated work until Jr. year. My first two years were spent mixing guache, using graphic pens, cutting and pasting paper together, and mixing more guache. Did you know that one fingerprint on guache ruins an entire piece and you have to completely start over? it is a fantastic paint with a flawless flat finish, but the most unforgiving paint I have ever used.

Painting is a physical 3-d medium. when you make a mistake there is no 'eraser'; you fix it or you let it dry, sand the canvas and start over. You deal with drying time, humidity, finger prints, dust, smuges and accidents. Every piece teaches you one more thing about your medium.

Hand mixing paints is nothing like "mixing" them on a computer screen. Paint has a feel, a texture, and if you don't mix it properly you get streaks. If you mix old paint with new paint you get lumps or runny paint. If you can get your hands on old oils that have been properly stored you can find colors that are illegal to make now that have richer depth and feel than any paint you can purchase in a store.

I knew people who mixed their own paints by hand, after buying and grinding their own pigments. I never got that far into things, but it was impressive to watch, and their work had an entirely different feel.

All of the examples you posted are excellent, however I have NEVER EVER seen a digital artist refer to their work as 'acrilic brush' or 'pastels'. You work in digital media, referring to it in any other way is misleading. It still takes time, effort and skill, but is not the same and should not be represented as painting.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » March 18th, 2006, 11:20 am

mnp13 wrote:I went to school for art, I have BA's in both graphic design and photography.

If you give me a coloring book I can stay within the lines . . . most of the time. :wink:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » March 18th, 2006, 12:43 pm

SisMorphine wrote:
mnp13 wrote:I went to school for art, I have BA's in both graphic design and photography.

If you give me a coloring book I can stay within the lines . . . most of the time. :wink:

My high school art teacher hated coloring books. He had his kids draw their own pictures in black marker and then color them in. his oldest daughter ended up winning one of twelve spots in an international compitition (making a calendar)

I thought he was nuts, but he had his reasons.

My roommate in college liked to color, she would spend hours on one page of a kid's coloring book, but she found it very relaxing and everyone in our hall had cool pictures on their doors!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Pitcrew » March 20th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Here is a pic I did of a friends Rott I did about 6 years ago. Scratchboard and watercolor.
Not a very forgiving medium. Probably the most background I have attempted.
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk