Decision 2008

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 3rd, 2008, 11:46 am

On January 03 2008, 10:38 AM, mnp13 wrote:interesting list. where do you stand?
Abortion - must be allowed, though I'm ok with parental consent for minors since if something goes wrong it will probably be the parents who have to take care of that problem.

gun control - I agree with background checks but responsible citizens should be able to carry if they want

health care - I have no idea what I want, but drug companies and HMO's need to be reigned in and seriously regulated.

death penalty - should be leagal and used much more frequently, and no more being on death row for years and years. and I'm anti-plea bargain too. on that same topic, I am against a lot of the "prisoners rights" stuff as well. I don't have cable TV, why should a rapist get it?

Preach it sister! :rock:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » January 3rd, 2008, 11:54 am

On Thu, Jan 03 2008, 10:38 AM, mnp13 wrote:interesting list. where do you stand?

I am 1,000% pro-choice and always have been. And if a minor needs an abortion for reasons of rape, incest, etc, that girl needs to have a safe place to go and get the procedure done, and not be victimized again.

I am against gun control for many reasons, but mainly because gun control laws are written for law-abiding citizens. Criminals, by definition, are not law-abiding. Therefore, gun control laws only penalize the law-abiding citizens and criminals will still get guns. I do believe in background checks and waiting periods.

Health care needs to be COMPLETELY re-vamped. It's a nightmare to try and "fix" the system, but something needs to be done. I am blessed with fantastic health insurance, but many people I know are not and their lives would be totally ruined if they faced a catastrophic illness.

I am 1,000% pro-death penalty. If you deliberately take someone's life then you forfeit yours. And I do NOT believe in plea-bargaining for capital cases.

If I say anything else, I risk soap-boxing, LOL. :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » January 3rd, 2008, 1:02 pm

I'm all about pro-choice and I am all for responsible gun ownership.

A HUGE thing for me are the candidates beliefs on gay rights. Having been fighting the gay bullpoop since before I even knew what a pit bull was, it has always been a big part of my life. I don't want a candidate who is going to put down the gay community by saying that their love/rights aren't as real as those of us who are straight. I also like candidates who stay as far away from religion as possible.

Mitt Romney is on my perma-poop list.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Marinepits » January 3rd, 2008, 1:04 pm

On Thu, Jan 03 2008, 12:02 PM, SisMorphine wrote: I also like candidates who stay as far away from religion as possible.

Agreed. Religion has no place in politics and too many candidates cross that line.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TinaMartin » January 3rd, 2008, 1:39 pm

I agree with you guys on almost everything. I agree with the availability for abortion in the case of rape or incest but not as a method of birth control. I feel to many people have gotten to the point where they say oh well if I get pregnant so what I can just abort it. Yes I have run across several people with this mentality.

I believe any law abiding citizen should be able to own a gun.

Health care needs a bomb to hake care of it. Insurance companies should not be able to tell a doctor how to doctor patients. That's what the doctor went to school for.

And as far as the death penalty take the people on death row and fry them. That's why they are on death row in the first place.
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby cheekymunkee » January 3rd, 2008, 4:05 pm

Well, crap, I found more stuff I dont agree with him on. BUT I still am leaning more towards him than any of the others.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » January 3rd, 2008, 7:06 pm

Anyone know if there is a website out there with a chart comparing each candidate's views on the big issues?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » January 3rd, 2008, 8:06 pm

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby madremissy » January 3rd, 2008, 8:22 pm

On January 03 2008, 10:38 AM, mnp13 wrote:
On January 03 2008, 09:37, Marinepits wrote:Too many friggin' candidates to choose from.

Abortion, gun control, health care, and the death penalty are my deal-breakers. I need the right answer on those questions to be able to choose a candidate and not one has answered all of them right for me.

What to do, what to do.

interesting list. where do you stand?
Abortion - must be allowed, though I'm ok with parental consent for minors since if something goes wrong it will probably be the parents who have to take care of that problem.

gun control - I agree with background checks but responsible citizens should be able to carry if they want

health care - I have no idea what I want, but drug companies and HMO's need to be reigned in and seriously regulated.

death penalty - should be leagal and used much more frequently, and no more being on death row for years and years. and I'm anti-plea bargain too. on that same topic, I am against a lot of the "prisoners rights" stuff as well. I don't have cable TV, why should a rapist get it?

:thumbsup:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Marinepits » January 3rd, 2008, 11:16 pm

Obama wins for the Dems and Huckabee wins for the Reps in Iowa. Hillary came in third.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » January 4th, 2008, 11:43 am

I wasn't all that suprised actually. I like Hillary a lot, but she just doesn't have the charisma that Obama has. I'm amazed that I like Huckabee as much as I do, though I'm not "sold" by any means.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Magnolia618 » January 4th, 2008, 11:44 am

I was listening to speeches from ALL of the democratic candidates on my way back from VT a few weeks ago, and I have to admit, Obama's speech actually moved me to tears. No crap.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 4th, 2008, 11:49 am

On January 03 2008, 18:06, SisMorphine wrote:Anyone know if there is a website out there with a chart comparing each candidate's views on the big issues?

I just found one: http://www.2decide.com/table.htm

Based on that table, I'm no longer even remotely considering Huckabee. However, it may not be completely accurate. Hillary and Obama line up much better with my views, though Obama is anti-death penalty.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » January 4th, 2008, 12:03 pm

Here's a "candidate match" quiz: http://www.speakout.com/VoteMatch/senat ... ?quiz=2008

This site is much less user friendly than the one I posted earlier:
http://politics.nytimes.com/election-gu ... sue=health

Has a ton of information but is so badly organized that it's almost not worth looking at:
http://www.nationalplatforms.com/index.html

I just called her office and the guy I spoke to said "hmmm... interesting issue" when I asked about her position on restrictive dog laws. then he transferred me and I tried to leave a message but the mailbox was full.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 4th, 2008, 6:53 pm

I made this a sticky - figured we'd be chatting politics a lot over the next year. :)

(Michelle, hope that was okay!)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » January 4th, 2008, 10:49 pm

NO IT'S NOT OK!!!! :x

Of course it is silly girl. :wink:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby amazincc » January 4th, 2008, 10:54 pm

On January 03 2008, 10:38 AM, mnp13 wrote:
On January 03 2008, 09:37, Marinepits wrote:Too many friggin' candidates to choose from.

Abortion, gun control, health care, and the death penalty are my deal-breakers. I need the right answer on those questions to be able to choose a candidate and not one has answered all of them right for me.

What to do, what to do.

interesting list. where do you stand?

Wow... I'm actually w/you on ALL of those, Michelle...
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby DropkickPA » January 5th, 2008, 4:16 pm

On January 04 2008, 10:43 AM, mnp13 wrote:I wasn't all that suprised actually. I like Hillary a lot, but she just doesn't have the charisma that Obama has. I'm amazed that I like Huckabee as much as I do, though I'm not "sold" by any means.

Huckabee :puke: I can't like someone who would raise a dog torturer and who would use their position to shield that scum from prosecution.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/78241
As Mike Huckabee gains in the polls, the former Arkansas governor is finding that his record in office is getting more scrutiny. One issue likely to get attention is his handling of a sensitive family matter: allegations that one of his sons was involved in the hanging of a stray dog at a Boy Scout camp in 1998. The incident led to the dismissal of David Huckabee, then 17, from his job as a counselor at Camp Pioneer in Hatfield, Ark. It also prompted the local prosecuting attorney— bombarded with complaints generated by a national animal-rights group—to write a letter to the Arkansas state police seeking help investigating whether David and another teenager had violated state animal-cruelty laws. The state police never granted the request, and no charges were ever filed. But John Bailey, then the director of Arkansas's state police, tells NEWSWEEK that Governor Huckabee's chief of staff and personal lawyer both leaned on him to write a letter officially denying the local prosecutor's request. Bailey, a career officer who had been appointed chief by Huckabee's Democratic predecessor, said he viewed the lawyer's intervention as improper and terminated the conversation. Seven months later, he was called into Huckabee's office and fired. "I've lost confidence in your ability to do your job," Bailey says Huckabee told him. One reason Huckabee cited was "I couldn't get you to help me with my son when I had that problem," according to Bailey. "Without question, [Huckabee] was making a conscious attempt to keep the state police from investigating his son," says I. C. Smith, the former FBI chief in Little Rock, who worked closely with Bailey and called him a "courageous" and "very solid" professional.
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » January 5th, 2008, 4:33 pm

I want you all to know that I nearly crap my pants when I saw this topic turn into a sticky...just yesterday, on another forum, the political debate thread was closed before it had a chance to get nasty...

I love this place...now I am going to sit back and wait for it to turn nasty :D
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 5th, 2008, 5:00 pm

I think we're all adult enough that we can discuss politics without getting nasty with our opinions. :wink:

Or else. :twisted:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic