Pulling and skateboard.

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby call2arms » March 17th, 2006, 1:16 pm

I wanted to start Jessie pulling me on my skate soon...
Usually I start slow, obviously it's on concrete and I don't want her to ruin her pads or hurt her joints.

Thing is, I'm always thinking, when do I know she's good for a long pull?
She never seems tired (but hey that,s how bullies are) , and quite frankly never seems to get ''more conditioned'' after a while.

I'm buying her a new padded harness soon, I'm so excited to start and so is she! Every time I grab the leash + skate comnibation, she goes bersek!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby bahamutt99 » March 17th, 2006, 5:41 pm

How old? An adult dog could probably pull you for a few miles at least, provided you build up to it. Sounds like a great way to condition, IMO.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby Romanwild » March 17th, 2006, 5:49 pm

I purchased a bike attachment last year.

I started Dreyfus out with a couple of miles. I would stop a few times to check his pads. They were fine. I would avoid really hot pavement for safeties sake. Do it in the morning or evening.

I worked Dreyfus up to 7 miles with no problem. I originally tried rollerblading but I taught him to not pull when on leash so he would run next to me. I was looking forward to being pulled. :|

Diamond came to me last fall and she runs in all out sprint! She pulls me so fast on the bike I think I might lose control! lol

I worked her up the same way and she had no problems with her feet.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby call2arms » March 18th, 2006, 11:02 am

She's 4. I've been doing it for the few last years, just not extensively but this summer I'll be having more time for this, and we're looking forward to it! The bike isn't an option with her, she is scared of the wheels because we've had to make a quick turn once and it rubbed against her. I was just thinking, by ''building up''...

How long every time at first? How fast?
When to start going longer and faster?
It's the building up part I'm puzzled by, I've always just hopped on my skate, and off we went for like 15 minutes at a time.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Romanwild » March 18th, 2006, 11:20 am

Start with 15 minutes. Every other time you go out add 5 minutes.

As for the pace watch her breathing and try to gauge how hard she is working.

Everydog is different. Dreyfus loves a slower pace for longer periods. Diamond loves all out sprints until she's exhausted. ss
Romanwild
I live here

Postby call2arms » March 21st, 2006, 2:12 pm

Just waiting for the ''broom-truck'' to go trough. Damn little rocks...
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby chance's mom » March 27th, 2006, 11:00 pm

see i cant even jog with chance becuase he runs in front of you and everything, he doesnt walk on a leash that way, but running or anything else...he has tripped me twice!! i mean i am blonde (read my signature before you get mad) and clumsy, do you think he learned it from me??? haha jk
seriously though, becuase of that i get scared to run with him, he would rather chase me or jump at me then run straight ahead???
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby call2arms » March 28th, 2006, 11:23 am

lol... You should get him a jogging belt... It's a big belt that you attach your leash too, so the dog stays in front of you. Or besides you. You just have to teach him not to move from say, front to side or side to side, and you should be fine. Just start slow, bring treats...

I'm still trying to teach Jessie "left" and "right", without success. She got her butt touched by the bike wheel once, so not she's all nervous and anticipates turns, buton the skate she's still a little goofy. I have to buy her that new harness, too.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby chance's mom » March 28th, 2006, 7:27 pm

he knows the comman switch, i use it when people are walking next to us or something, i have him switch sides, if he can get that, i am sure i can get him to stop running in front of me or jumping at me, he doesnt realize how big he is sometimes!!
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby PittieLove » April 8th, 2006, 10:42 pm

my dog wont pull at all. Skate boarding is much better then roller blading, because you can jump off at any time! i would start off easy and get harder as time passes, that was already stated but i wanted to add it again.
Bulldog Pride.
PittieLove
Confident Young Bully

Return to Sports