Malinois needs a home

Postby mnp13 » January 3rd, 2008, 5:13 pm

I just got this from one of my rescue contacts. I know there are a few pointy ear lovers here!

I am currently fostering a 3 year old male, purebred Belgian Malinois (aka Belgian Shepherd) that is looking for a permanent home. Nick is obedience trained (to the level of novice competition obedience) and very athletic. His hip were rated OFA good and he's AKC registered (although the ears don't stand fully). This is a social / loving dog with a great temperament, which would be best suited for an active, sport or working home. Nick has been previously used for protection sport and has a very high prey / toy drive. For this reason, I do not recommend to place Nick into a home with small children or cats (he has never been introduced to small animals). Nick is an active dog that is used to living outdoors during the day. He would love to have a permanent person to bond with and would offer you a lot of dedication.

Please feel free to contact me at 508 839 7926 (day), 508 839 1643 (evening) or e-mail at Daniela.bedenice@tufts.edu for any additional info.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » January 3rd, 2008, 5:38 pm

On January 03 2008, 4:13 PM, mnp13 wrote:I just got this from one of my rescue contacts. I know there are a few pointy ear lovers here!

I am currently fostering a 3 year old male, purebred Belgian Malinois (aka Belgian Shepherd) that is looking for a permanent home. Nick is obedience trained (to the level of novice competition obedience) and very athletic. His hip were rated OFA good and he's AKC registered (although the ears don't stand fully). This is a social / loving dog with a great temperament, which would be best suited for an active, sport or working home. Nick has been previously used for protection sport and has a very high prey / toy drive. For this reason, I do not recommend to place Nick into a home with small children or cats (he has never been introduced to small animals). Nick is an active dog that is used to living outdoors during the day. He would love to have a permanent person to bond with and would offer you a lot of dedication.

Please feel free to contact me at 508 839 7926 (day), 508 839 1643 (evening) or e-mail at Daniela.bedenice@tufts.edu for any additional info.

Michelle, mind if I crosspost and send this to Jerry?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » January 3rd, 2008, 5:39 pm

The dog looks like he's in MA so let me know if I can help at all!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby katiek0417 » January 3rd, 2008, 5:45 pm

On January 03 2008, 4:39 PM, SisMorphine wrote:The dog looks like he's in MA so let me know if I can help at all!

Actually, I might need you to help if Jerry decides he wants him tested!!!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » January 3rd, 2008, 5:51 pm

On January 03 2008, 4:45 PM, katiek0417 wrote:
On January 03 2008, 4:39 PM, SisMorphine wrote:The dog looks like he's in MA so let me know if I can help at all!

Actually, I might need you to help if Jerry decides he wants him tested!!!

No prob!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby TheRedQueen » January 3rd, 2008, 7:20 pm

I know it says active, but it also says high prey drive...would this dog be suitable for flyball, do ya think...I can crosspost him on some flyball lists. :)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » January 3rd, 2008, 7:25 pm

On January 03 2008, 6:20 PM, TheRedQueen wrote:I know it says active, but it also says high prey drive...would this dog be suitable for flyball, do ya think...I can crosspost him on some flyball lists. :)

He could be....and it says he's social...I'm not sure about other dogs, though...

I spoke to Jerry, he wants the dog tested for detection work...I'm just waiting for some further details...Alyssa, you've got a PM...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » January 3rd, 2008, 8:25 pm

GREAT! I don't know anything about the dog, I just got the email. I'm glad you guys have some ideas for him!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » January 3rd, 2008, 9:56 pm

On January 03 2008, 7:25 PM, mnp13 wrote:GREAT! I don't know anything about the dog, I just got the email. I'm glad you guys have some ideas for him!

Yeah...and if all goes well, hopefully he'll be tested before the end of the weekend!!! If he passes, Jerry will take him!!!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » January 3rd, 2008, 11:07 pm

Oh, wow... that would be AWESOME!!! I love a happy ending... Thanks, Katrina, for making it possible! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » January 4th, 2008, 11:40 am

On January 03 2008, 10:07 PM, amazincc wrote:Oh, wow... that would be AWESOME!!! I love a happy ending... Thanks, Katrina, for making it possible! :)

Well, I cant take the dog myself...so, I want to whatever I can to help it...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby katiek0417 » January 4th, 2008, 10:22 pm

GREAT NEWS! I spoke to the foster tonight. She sent me some video of Nick, I forwarded it to Jerry. He made a decision on the spot, he wants the dog (without further testing). If he can get the dog for free, he plans on passing on that savings to a department that doesn't have a lot of money to spend on a dog...

Alyssa, I'll be in touch shortly to talk about some transporting...Jerry said he'll pay for shipping...would you be able to get the dog to the airport, and checked in?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby luvmypitties » January 5th, 2008, 12:51 am

Thats awesome!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » January 5th, 2008, 1:59 am

On January 04 2008, 9:22 PM, katiek0417 wrote:GREAT NEWS! I spoke to the foster tonight. She sent me some video of Nick, I forwarded it to Jerry. He made a decision on the spot, he wants the dog (without further testing). If he can get the dog for free, he plans on passing on that savings to a department that doesn't have a lot of money to spend on a dog...

Alyssa, I'll be in touch shortly to talk about some transporting...Jerry said he'll pay for shipping...would you be able to get the dog to the airport, and checked in?

Shouldn't be a problem (esp since current caretakers apparently work for Tufts so they'll get the health certificates no prob). Just let me know the days/times so I can work it out. I'm always happy to help a dog onto it's next home . . . and frankly I LOVE driving at the airport! (Don't ask . . . )
SisMorphine

Postby katiek0417 » January 5th, 2008, 11:16 am

On January 05 2008, 12:59 AM, SisMorphine wrote:
On January 04 2008, 9:22 PM, katiek0417 wrote:GREAT NEWS! I spoke to the foster tonight. She sent me some video of Nick, I forwarded it to Jerry. He made a decision on the spot, he wants the dog (without further testing). If he can get the dog for free, he plans on passing on that savings to a department that doesn't have a lot of money to spend on a dog...

Shouldn't be a problem (esp since current caretakers apparently work for Tufts so they'll get the health certificates no prob). Just let me know the days/times so I can work it out. I'm always happy to help a dog onto it's next home . . . and frankly I LOVE driving at the airport! (Don't ask . . . )

Thank you!!!

Okay, once the deal is sealed (hopefully today or tomorrow), I'll call you with more info as well as well as info on what airline, how to do it, etc...He'll need the health cert, and I'll ask her for the AKC papers and the OFA certificates (the fact that he's already been rated was a huge plus for Jerry). I might have her or you send those in the mail, though (just so nothing happens during transport)...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby kaitkait52 » January 10th, 2008, 3:56 pm

I am new and just stumbled onto this thread.
KatieK, are you involved in placing Malinois?

My husband is a police officer and his department is hemming and hawing about getting a K-9. My husband would be the responsible officer. We are looking to get any information or sites that could help him get a dog for his community.

( He has worked with Malinois before when he was in the military)

Any insight would be great, thanks.
kaitkait52
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » January 10th, 2008, 5:03 pm

On January 10 2008, 2:56 PM, kaitkait52 wrote:I am new and just stumbled onto this thread.
KatieK, are you involved in placing Malinois?

My husband is a police officer and his department is hemming and hawing about getting a K-9. My husband would be the responsible officer. We are looking to get any information or sites that could help him get a dog for his community.

( He has worked with Malinois before when he was in the military)

Any insight would be great, thanks.

Hi, I deal a lot with Malinois and can probably help. What exactly is the dept looking for? Single-purpose? Dual-purpose? Already trained?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby kaitkait52 » January 10th, 2008, 5:13 pm

They are looking for a single purpose dog. Preferably already trained.

Any info would be great!
kaitkait52
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » January 10th, 2008, 5:24 pm

How much are they looking to spend on a dog? Also, single purpose detection? or apprehension? If for detection, bomb or drug?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby kaitkait52 » January 11th, 2008, 11:25 am

I believe they want it for detection.

The amount of money the town is willing to put up front is neglibigle so it would mostly come from private donors/ fundraisers. I am obviously new to this area and don't know how much it would cost. Do you have a ballpark of what we could expect?
kaitkait52
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Rescue