VERY VERY disappointed

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby mnp13 » January 2nd, 2008, 4:00 pm

Like Therese said, so much of this depends on the individual judge, but over all I think the look leans towards fat dogs. I've watched a number of dog shows on TV and I haven't seen a dog that I would consider to be "in shape" in a long time.

I gave my mom the official AKC dog breed book two years ago for Christmas (her 1970 edition disappeared somewhere) and even the dogs in there are mostly tubby.

That said, "skinny" is very subjective and pictures can be very deceiving. I got tons of crap over a horrible picture of Riggs a while ago, and he was the almost the exact same weight as another picture that I got tons of compliments on.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmypitties » January 2nd, 2008, 4:06 pm

Oh everyone says both of my dogs are skinny. But I think they are both in shape. Roscoe could use a pound or two but Ellie is naturally thin.

I have seen Riggs and he is a small dog (from pictures he looks bigger) but man is he good looking!!! He is very in shape!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » January 2nd, 2008, 4:29 pm

Honestly I'm more sad to see a structurally messed up,or a shy-dog being placed...
Specially when it's happening on National TV. :(
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby luvmypitties » January 2nd, 2008, 4:36 pm

I have only shown in small shows around here. Now I dont know if this is true or not but a lot of people get in with the judges and thats how horrible dogs get placed. And in the even larger shows its all about the money... judges getting paid off and what not. True or rumors?
Tina

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » January 2nd, 2008, 8:34 pm

There are people whose flying to shows just to show under the same judges...I seen many interesting things in the past 2 years...I won't say anymore....It's sad.
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby luvmypitties » January 2nd, 2008, 8:36 pm

It is sad but hey thats what everything seems to turn to in the long run.... its all about money!
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby CopperCoin » January 2nd, 2008, 10:23 pm

I remember going to a Fred Lanting seminar about a year ago and he showed pictures of some dogs and commented their structure/gait etc. There was one picture of a some kind of gray terrier that he judged in Australia that won in that show and he said that the dog's angulation wasn't good considering the historical purpose of the breed, but since it was just a beauty contest, the dog won (I guess he was the best out of the bunch). It's too sad that fads and politics play such a big part in conformation shows that a lot of the times it really is simply a beauty contest.
CopperCoin
Just Whelped

Postby SassyCassie » July 13th, 2008, 12:45 pm

I am surprised that this is the trend. I put Cassie in a show last summer, she was about a year old, and I was told she is too fat by several Irish breeders. I went back to her breeders and they said she is fine, but that for serious showing, she needed to lose at least 5-7 lbs b/c the trend is toward the ultra-lean look. Now Michele has seen Cassie recently, and I don't think she would say Cassie is fat.

As for the people showing..............im not throwing stones. :smileUp:
The root of ALL evil at dotcorny
SassyCassie
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » July 13th, 2008, 3:15 pm

the dogs I've seen here at the few shows I've been to looked pretty fit to me :| I wonder if this is an American thing?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby StalkerBlueDog » July 14th, 2008, 12:17 am

SassyCassie wrote:I am surprised that this is the trend. I put Cassie in a show last summer, she was about a year old, and I was told she is too fat by several Irish breeders. I went back to her breeders and they said she is fine, but that for serious showing, she needed to lose at least 5-7 lbs b/c the trend is toward the ultra-lean look. Now Michele has seen Cassie recently, and I don't think she would say Cassie is fat.

Be Careful.. there is a "Michelle says my dog is fat club" here.. Ask Layla!
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
"DAWN" U-CH Canami's Age of Aquarius CD RE AX OAJ NF CGC/TDI (1/3 AXJ, 1/5 U-GRCH, MACH pt'd)
"KAYLEE" U-CH Canami's Protector of Serenity (AKC major Pt'd)
"LEIA" Sorella's Rebel Princess (UKC pt'd)
"LUKE"Canami Sorella's A New Hope RN
StalkerBlueDog
My dog can kick your sheep's ass

Postby SassyCassie » July 14th, 2008, 10:01 am

Michele will be nice to me................someday she may want reimbursement for something and I am the checkholder in the club.
The root of ALL evil at dotcorny
SassyCassie
Just Whelped

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 14th, 2008, 10:03 am

StalkerBlueDog wrote:
SassyCassie wrote:I am surprised that this is the trend. I put Cassie in a show last summer, she was about a year old, and I was told she is too fat by several Irish breeders. I went back to her breeders and they said she is fine, but that for serious showing, she needed to lose at least 5-7 lbs b/c the trend is toward the ultra-lean look. Now Michele has seen Cassie recently, and I don't think she would say Cassie is fat.

Be Careful.. there is a "Michelle says my dog is fat club" here.. Ask Layla!

Layla lost another 4 pounds this month. Michelle just told me yesterday she's not fat anymore. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Don't worry Laurie...Michelle would just tell you if Cassie were fat. :wink:
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby amazincc » July 14th, 2008, 5:32 pm

How do you guys define ideal weight? Exactly?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » July 15th, 2008, 12:43 am

It all depends on the breed, but for Pit Bulls, generally 1-2 ribs showing, good musculature, easily seen / defined muscles, no "jiggle" when they move. Not necessarily "ripped" but definately well "toned"
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » July 15th, 2008, 1:19 am

Hmm. :lookaround:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 15th, 2008, 4:56 am

amazincc wrote:How do you guys define ideal weight? Exactly?

http://www.purina.com/dogs/health/bodycondition.aspx

and don't knock it just 'cause its Purina ;) Its pretty standard, not like they came up with it or anything...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » July 15th, 2008, 7:38 am

I've seen that chart before, and it's a decent place to start, but since it doesn't account for breed I don't think it's really all that accurate.

I'd be very concerned about a Lab that you could see ribs on, but I expect to see ribs on a Pit.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » July 15th, 2008, 9:28 am

mnp13 wrote:I've seen that chart before, and it's a decent place to start, but since it doesn't account for breed I don't think it's really all that accurate.

I'd be very concerned about a Lab that you could see ribs on, but I expect to see ribs on a Pit.

Even then though...there are some labs, I'd want to see ribs...those tall skinny labs, like Earl. Not Sacha. ;)

I use the hand guide for my puppy raisers...easy and fun. Hold your hand out palm down. Run your hand over the knuckles (where your fingers meet your hand). That's what a proper weight on a dog should feel like when you run your hand down their spine. Now flip your hand over, and feel the same knuckles. Feel that pad of flesh? That compares to a dog's spine when the dog is overweight. Now turn your hand back over, and make a fist. Feel the same knuckles. Feel how bony they are? That would be like a dog that is underweight. :dance:

Especially a nice thing when your dogs have FUR, and you can't see ribs. (I'm not shaving mine down to prove that they have ribs showing!) :lol: Though Rip is now a little more than just furry Fluffy.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » July 15th, 2008, 10:39 am

mnp13 wrote:I've seen that chart before, and it's a decent place to start, but since it doesn't account for breed I don't think it's really all that accurate.

You could see ribs on Charlie, but he was pure field lines...Sacha is pure show lines, and you can't see ribs...however, I've had show people tell me how good looking she is (ewww)...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby maberi » July 15th, 2008, 10:49 am