Lymph nodes...

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby amazincc » January 1st, 2008, 10:08 pm

...where are they located??? Would they be at the end of the jawline where the neck begins? Would you be able to feel them in a healthy dog, and how big should they be?
Last edited by amazincc on January 1st, 2008, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby msvette2u » January 1st, 2008, 10:21 pm

Copper has huge things there, they told me it is salivary glands. I dunno. He's had it since we got him and it hasn't gotten worse...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » January 1st, 2008, 10:33 pm

my last dog to go to the bridge got Lymphoma and died of it. I reached to pet him one day, and found huge lumps under his chin...his lymph nodes were HUGE. It was just like they were fine one day, and huge the next. I had never noticed them before.

I don't know if you should be able to feel them...I just know that I never noticed them until they were enlarged.

But...just like us, there are many things that can enlarge them.

I also have a client with a dog with a ruptured salivary gland...he's got a big sack hanging under his chin and neck area...he's got surgery to fix it this spring. It looks odd, but doesn't bother him...he just can't wear a collar at all.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » January 1st, 2008, 10:40 pm

Crap... I went to cuddle w/Mick this evening and he has two HUGE lumps along his jawline, close to his neck/throat... they are equal in size and location, and it scared me because I KNOW they weren't there yesterday. He's also been coughing on and off all day, but other than that - he's eating, no temperature, no vomiting, nothing.

Vet visit in the morning for sure... and, yeah, I read about Lymphoma on and off all night on the Internet... :(
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby msvette2u » January 1st, 2008, 10:42 pm

Try not to worry; just make an appointment tomorrow!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » January 1st, 2008, 10:42 pm

Awww...poop. I was hoping you weren't talking about Mick.

Agree though...get him to the vet ASAP. Hopefully it's just an infection or something.

:hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » January 1st, 2008, 10:45 pm

Yeah... thanks for answering so fast, Erin and Yvette.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 1st, 2008, 10:46 pm

Poor Mr. Mick - probably just has the flu-bug or something - our lymph nodes get enlarged when we're sick, too. He'll be fine. :hug3:

But give him some extra-special lovin's from me and Inara ("especially me!", says Inara).
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » January 1st, 2008, 10:47 pm

In people, lots of different things can make the lymph nodes get big, try not to freak...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » January 1st, 2008, 10:50 pm

No, Liz... I know it's not the flu or a cold... we've been through those and they are ugly... :wink:

The hardest part is to not imagine the worst now... damned vet HAS to be closed this time of night... :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Marinepits » January 1st, 2008, 10:50 pm

On Tue, Jan 01 2008, 9:40 PM, amazincc wrote:Crap... I went to cuddle w/Mick this evening and he has two HUGE lumps along his jawline, close to his neck/throat... they are equal in size and location, and it scared me because I KNOW they weren't there yesterday. He's also been coughing on and off all day, but other than that - he's eating, no temperature, no vomiting, nothing.

Vet visit in the morning for sure... and, yeah, I read about Lymphoma on and off all night on the Internet... :(

One on either side of his jaw, towards the back of his jawbone under where his back molar teeth would be? If so, those are probably his salivary glands and can get REALLY big when they're infected or the dog doesn't feel well.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » January 1st, 2008, 10:53 pm

On January 01 2008, 9:47 PM, mnp13 wrote:In people, lots of different things can make the lymph nodes get big, try not to freak...

I know... but they are so HUGE! And they don't seem to hurt him... I don't know if that's good or bad at this point. :cry:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » January 1st, 2008, 11:20 pm

I'm sorry Christine...I hope he's okay...please let us know...

Fingers and paws crossed over here (I've even got the cat's paws crossed)...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby msvette2u » January 1st, 2008, 11:21 pm

On January 01 2008, amazincc wrote:
On January 01 2008, 9:47 PM, mnp13 wrote:In people, lots of different things can make the lymph nodes get big, try not to freak...

I know... but they are so HUGE! And they don't seem to hurt him... I don't know if that's good or bad at this point. :cry:

Is it TWO on each side or one on each side??
msvette2u
I live here

Postby amazincc » January 1st, 2008, 11:28 pm

On January 01 2008, 9:50 PM, Marinepits wrote:
On Tue, Jan 01 2008, 9:40 PM, amazincc wrote:Crap... I went to cuddle w/Mick this evening and he has two HUGE lumps along his jawline, close to his neck/throat... they are equal in size and location, and it scared me because I KNOW they weren't there yesterday. He's also been coughing on and off all day, but other than that - he's eating, no temperature, no vomiting, nothing.

One on either side of his jaw, towards the back of his jawbone under where his back molar teeth would be? If so, those are probably his salivary glands and can get REALLY big when they're infected or the dog doesn't feel well.

These pics aren't very good, but I don't think I'd actually be able to remove his collar right now... now it just feels like one huge lump all the way across. :shock:

amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » January 1st, 2008, 11:43 pm

On January 01 2008, 10:20 PM, katiek0417 wrote:I'm sorry Christine...I hope he's okay...please let us know...

Fingers and paws crossed over here (I've even got the cat's paws crossed)...

I crossed my legs . . . and that never happens!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby amazincc » January 2nd, 2008, 12:04 am

He's having a hard time breathing... we're taking him to the er-vet as soon as my daughter gets here...
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Jenn » January 2nd, 2008, 12:05 am

Uh oh, poor Mick! :shock:
Let us know he's ok Christine!
Jenn
undecided

Postby msvette2u » January 2nd, 2008, 12:22 am

Oh yikes! It sounds like an abcess or spider bite!
Can you give him Bendadryl if she's taking too long to arrive?? It is up to 2mg/lb.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » January 2nd, 2008, 12:28 am

Oh no...I'll be thinking of you guys...keep us updated!

:goodthoughts:

TheRedQueen

Next

Return to Canine Cancer