zoey's diagnosis

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby PITS4LIFE » March 14th, 2006, 3:48 pm

pLaurent wrote:As to the sight problem only, there is no reason a blind dog cannot be perfectly happy.

Dogs depend least on their sight, as scent and hearing are way more important to them. We get so upset at animals losing their vision because we think how WE would feel, but sight is our most important sense.

It's better if they are completely blind, as being able to see only shadows or parts of things can alarm them. Your dog might be better when she has gone totally blind.

I've known blind dogs and even a rescued dog who had both his eyes removed. He is completely happy and has a wonderful life, as long as his owners don't rearrange the furniture all the time.

Blindness alone (the aggression issue is something else) is absolutely no reason to kill a dog.

The only way that I would put her down is if I could not, through the help of a trainer, get her aggression under control. I know this is hard for her and I am not giving up. She is the one going blind not me and it is my job to be there and help her through this. She is my child, putting her down would be like getting rid of my kid because he became blind. This dog saved my life, the least I can do is make hers as safe and comfortable as possible. She deserves that much.
PITS4LIFE
Just Whelped

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 14th, 2006, 8:56 pm

I am sorry you are having to go through this. It does always seem like things come in great big piles-we just got over a pile of them here. (crossing fingers and knocking on wood that the pile is truly over).

Just PLEASE do not let those kids anywhere near the dog. I would insist on two barriers of protection for the dog, a crate locked in another room before the kids even walk through the door. It is important to put the dog away BEFORE the kids come over. The rush of coming in a new house makes kids even more kidlike and more likely to trigger the dog. I never trust one barrier when it comes to kids that age, they do not always listen, and like to open doors. It would only take one second that you turn your back for one of the kids to get seriously hurt. I am sure you know this, but sometimes hearing it makes us a little more diligent.

I am sending a prayer your way, I know this cannot be easy for you.

Jen
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 17th, 2006, 11:33 am

any updates on Zoey?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby PITS4LIFE » March 17th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Sorry I have been busy.
Zoey is doing rather well. We have been working with her and a trainer. She is getting around rather well. Most of the time she just stays in my room on my pillow. She will come out and sniff her pups every once in a while and lick them. We have been teaching the kids how to pet and let her know that they are there. The trainer told us that we need to make her come to us, but to steadily talk to her so she can follow our voice, and to reward her when she makes it all the way. She has actually been wanting to play alittle bit. Some of her aggression has subsided. It is mainly a startle factor. So we spend lots of time talking to her. Her trainer says that she will make it, she is doing good, that it will just take time for her to get use to not being able to see,and Before we know it, no one will be able to tell that she is blind, unless we tell them. The trainer has been a blessing to us. We cannot move furniture or nothing, but hey who wants to do that anyways!!!
PITS4LIFE
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » March 17th, 2006, 12:54 pm

That's good to hear! SOrry this is happeneing to her but it sounds like you guys are doing very well with her
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » March 17th, 2006, 1:28 pm

oh michele that is excellent news!!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 17th, 2006, 2:57 pm

Yay for Zoey!!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Blitzkrieg Staffords » March 17th, 2006, 6:29 pm

mnp13 wrote:I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but having your dog put down due to a manageable health condition is not responsible in my opinion. Right now she is scared and her reaction is to keep everyone away because she probably can't see them well enough to know what's going on. She may be able to see fleeting shadows but nothing clear enough to identify.

Plenty of people sucessfully manage to own blind dogs.

Of all people, you are not one who should be judging anyone. From what I have read about the dog, combined with the fact she is blind/going blind, I would have suggested euthanasia. I hope training goes well, but much more so than that, I hope your children stay safe, and out of harms way.
Blitzkrieg Staffords
Just Whelped

Postby Karen » March 17th, 2006, 6:49 pm

Eyesight problems in this breed can be dangerous. A reactive dog that has a tendency to become defensive is a liability, Euthanasia is a solution that is a responsible one. Not every dog handles being sighted and sometimes the partially sighted ones are damn scary. Speaking from experience of 3 years living with such a dog. Not fun.
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk