For JOYCE...Lab x 2 plus a little guy

Postby msvette2u » December 30th, 2007, 3:24 pm

We took in these two old lab boys, their owner, after supposedly 9years of caring for them, decided they could no longer do so and dumped...errr...surrended them at the shelter.
Another WA based shelter was going to take them but declined at the last moment.
So the original shelter called us. Who were we to turn them down!? They were at their last days in an overcrowded shelter and their time was up, meaning just one thing, a certain death.
So without further ado here is DUKE and DALLAS. Duke has wavier hair than Dallas.
How would you like to have this waiting when you arrive home from tough day on the job?

Dallas hates the camera already.

Said to be 9yrs. old, they don't seem quite that old. Both have bad kennel cough with some greenish discharge.

Can't forget Wilbur. He was struck by a car and at 13lbs. is lucky to be alive!!

He's altered and ready to go.

Even our vets could not guess what he is. We've settled on Cavalier King Charles Spaniel x.
Or maybe Long haired Chihuahua and Pug x.
Who knows? He's CUTE, is all we know ;)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » December 30th, 2007, 3:30 pm

Yea, yea...Wilbur is cute, but let's talk LABS!

OMG, I just LOVE THEM! Look at those faces. :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

I just can't believe how dogs are "throw aways".

But I am soooooo thankful for rescue people like you, Yvette.

Of course, my donation will be in the mail for these two. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby msvette2u » December 30th, 2007, 3:36 pm

Aww Joyce...thank you - we are concerned as they have Kennel cough pretty bad :(
msvette2u
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » December 30th, 2007, 3:40 pm

Are they interacting with each other with any glimpse of "happiness"?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SisMorphine » December 30th, 2007, 3:42 pm

Robitussin and Slippery Elm
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » December 30th, 2007, 3:46 pm

I gave them some Mucinex which is what the vet gave the last dog we had seen for KC. It's what's in Robitussin too...
We need probably to get them on antibiotics - will swing by the vet tomorrow I am sure ;)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby airwalk » December 30th, 2007, 7:48 pm

They are great Vette...don't you just hate it when folks dump their senior dogs? Seems like it happens too much lately.

They look very ... well labby..Joyce understands what I mean.

Do watch them closely, if they have the nasty K/C that the shelters are all fighting, you don't want them to crash with pneumonia, if the discharge is greenish, - are they lethargic as well? If so, call the vet.
airwalk
I live here

Postby msvette2u » December 30th, 2007, 8:03 pm

They could be lethargic, it's hard to say with a senior dog :cry:
They have NO appetite but aren't flat out sick, they get up and around, they are coughing almost nonstop and gagging and poor Duke has thrown up a few times-the water he drank that is.
We started 'em on Keflex but only to get them through until tomorrow when they can see the vet...they aren't miserable but you can tell they aren't 100% either.
I felt so bad, we did the transfer at Ellensburg and it was an icebox there. Seriously, snow on the ground and these two are coughing their heads off. I don't think it was 30 out even.
We had to meet the guy picking up the dogs we sent to Violet and the other rescue.
Well we're home now and they are inside and warm but I'm worried. I don't think they could hold down anything IF I manage to get them to eat it...
:(
Last edited by msvette2u on December 30th, 2007, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby airwalk » December 30th, 2007, 8:07 pm

Yep if they aren't eating, and blowing green snot...call the vet! Seniors have a tough time with this K/C and if they crash, there may be a very rough and limited road to save them.
airwalk
I live here

Postby msvette2u » December 30th, 2007, 8:11 pm

On December 30 2007, airwalk wrote:Yep if they aren't eating, and blowing green snot...call the vet! Seniors have a tough time with this K/C and if they crash, there may be a very rough and limited road to save them.

Hm...well can it wait until tomorrow??? I can get them in at either vet on a moment's notice. But the ER vet? $100/per dog to be seen, minimum...
How about more Keflex??
msvette2u
I live here

Postby luvmypitties » December 30th, 2007, 9:27 pm

The two old guys are adorable! Such sweet faces!

The little guy is cute too. I agree more with the long hair chuihuahua mix, i dont know about pug in there but he is cute!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby airwalk » December 30th, 2007, 10:33 pm

On December 30 2007, 7:11 PM, msvette2u wrote:
On December 30 2007, airwalk wrote:Yep if they aren't eating, and blowing green snot...call the vet! Seniors have a tough time with this K/C and if they crash, there may be a very rough and limited road to save them.

Hm...well can it wait until tomorrow??? I can get them in at either vet on a moment's notice. But the ER vet? $100/per dog to be seen, minimum...
How about more Keflex??

No it should be fine until tomorrow. Keep them warm, etc., etc you know the drill. Just don't put off calling the vet - but no I don't think you need an e-vet unless one of them is showing extreme symptoms.
airwalk
I live here

Postby msvette2u » December 30th, 2007, 10:35 pm

Mostly they are sleeping. I think they need that almost as much.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby airwalk » December 30th, 2007, 10:36 pm

If they're sleeping comfortably you're fine until you can see your regular vet..and yeah I'm with you avoid the e-vet whenever possible, they break the bank.
airwalk
I live here

Postby msvette2u » December 30th, 2007, 10:44 pm

If I have to shell out $100 I'd rather give it to our vet, as I actually GET something other than the privilege of walking through the door!!!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby luvmypitties » December 31st, 2007, 1:22 am

How long were they at the shelter?
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby msvette2u » December 31st, 2007, 5:42 pm

I don't know...
Well we got up and got ready to go at 8am, and realized both our vets were closed.
So we then had to drive 40 miles to get to the nearest *affordable* vet (one who didn't charge $50/per dog to see them!) and got there, the vet was very good, gave us injectible ampicillin and Reglan for the vomiting, and gave them a shot of Banamine (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) and they seem a little better maybe.
Dallas is 77 lbs and Duke is 73.
Oh, we're supposed to water down some baby food and syringe it to them as we have no idea when they last ate, other than, they have not eaten since being here :(
Hopefully they'll be better in a day or two and we can switch them to oral meds...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby amazincc » December 31st, 2007, 5:57 pm

Geez... I hope the owner finds himself on the side of the road in his old age... :x
People SUCK! I have no use for most of them... :evil:

Thanks, Yvette... sometimes people like you DO restore my faith in humanity a little bit. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby msvette2u » January 1st, 2008, 6:06 pm

New pics!
It's starting to look rather Old Dog Haven-ish here at this point...

Pretty Noel

Handsome Dallas

Stunning Duke

One more Dallas

Pardon the nose goo. They are pretty sick BUT ON THE RIGHT MEDS...!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » January 1st, 2008, 6:24 pm

Poor old fellas...glad they found you!

This forum is starting to look suspiciously like Labrador-Pit Bull Talk...hmmm...all these labs appearing suddenly on everyone's doorsteps...Joyce? Anything to say?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Next

Return to Rescue