Something strange here?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Jenn » March 17th, 2006, 11:56 am

I was just sorting through some papers, throwing away some trash things that I probably don't need to keep. I ran across my vet bill from when I had the cat fixed a few weeks ago. I'm not sure, but something doesn't appear to be right... The items are as follows.

1- Penicillin 300,000 mg/ml injection $10.00

1- Tiletamine/ketamine/xylazine injection $25.00
(your pet was given anesthetic agents which can cause prolonged lethargy, vomiting and diarrhear. Call if symptons persist 24 hours after surgery.)
1 FVRCP - second $17.00
1- Rabies annual Feline $14.00
1 - Rimadyl (Carprofen) 50 mg/ml <50# inject $14.00
1 - Ovariohysterectomy - Feline any weight $80.00

Maybe I'm completely off here, but the second line item appears to be a charge for anesthia :| shouldn't that have been included in the cost of the spay? That was never mentioned as a seperate item, and I've never seen that previously on any other bill? I'm thinking they owe me some money back? I had knew she needed Rabies, and her second feline shots, plus consented to the after surgey pain shot. Don't know what the penicillin was for, nor why I paid for the above mentioned.
Jenn
undecided

Postby msvette2u » March 17th, 2006, 12:04 pm

That's probably the presurgical shot to relax her. I'm sure they use gas anesthesia?
But you're right, it doesn't seem right to bill for any drugs related to her surgery.
Ask them why they gave her the p-cillin :|
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 17th, 2006, 12:33 pm

most vets dont itemize like yours does.. alot of vets charge extra for the anesthesia and the antibiotics, and just add it into the spay
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Malli » March 17th, 2006, 1:11 pm

1- Penicillin 300,000 mg/ml injection $10.00

1- Tiletamine/ketamine/xylazine injection $25.00
(your pet was given anesthetic agents which can cause prolonged lethargy, vomiting and diarrhear. Call if symptons persist 24 hours after surgery.)
1 FVRCP - second $17.00
1- Rabies annual Feline $14.00
1 - Rimadyl (Carprofen) 50 mg/ml <50# inject $14.00
1 - Ovariohysterectomy - Feline any weight $80.00

the ketamine was the sedative before the gas. This is standard, at least at my work.
there are 2 notations for different vaccines
rimadyl most likely post surgery as she woke up for swelling and pain
and the actual procedure

they itamized everything because each spay is different, sometimes Dr's decide to charge differently etc?

The list looks pretty standard to me... the penicillin was most likely a preventative of infection...

If you are really concerned there should be someone who can explain the bill to you exactly at your clinic...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » March 17th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Penicillin is standard after most surgeries on an animal (even if minor). Same with humans (most times they just give it while you're still out cold).

Because you're opening the animal's body up, then stitching it back up, even in the most careful/clean situations, infection is a risk. (Think about getting a cut that you think it minor, then it ends up getting an infection).

Ketamine is a relaxer (think Special-K in the drug world).

I looked at my bill, then called my vet (my kittens just got spayed a month ago), and while these things are not listed separately on my bill, he gave both my kittens a ketamine injection and penicillin after the surgery.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Jenn » March 21st, 2006, 8:06 pm

Well, I finally had the chance to contact them today, and was given a $25 credit. Seems that WAS to be "included" in the spay cost. Thanks for the replies.
Jenn
undecided

Postby msvette2u » March 21st, 2006, 8:15 pm

*yay*! :)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 21st, 2006, 10:38 pm

My vet itemizes like a biznitch! Yes you are charged for anesthesia, not included in the surgery price, and if it's anything over an hour (I think it's an hour . . . can't remember) they charge you more for each additional 15 minutes of anesthesia.

Oh and none of the hospitals I have worked at (3, including one very large hospital with 70-80 vets in it) have ever used penicillin.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby BigDogBuford » March 21st, 2006, 10:41 pm

That's the way we itemize at my work, as well. Every little thing is broken down.

:|
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » March 22nd, 2006, 2:47 am

that IS nice of them to admit a mistake though

:| every practice and hospital has their own preferences and treatments...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health