Obedience video

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Chris Fraize » March 17th, 2006, 10:17 am

Chris and Rumble just mesin around with Rumble in the backyard with obedience. The yard was wet and muddy. The wind was strong and it was pretty cold.

Anyway the video is open to constructive comments!

http://www.k9sts.com/rumbleobedmovie/

Take care,
April Fraize
Chris Fraize
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Purple » March 17th, 2006, 10:30 am

Rumble looked like he was having a ball!
Purple
I live here

Postby chance's mom » March 17th, 2006, 5:24 pm

he looks so happy to work and so eager!!! just curious about something, does he just get over excited and jump at your side or is there a reason for that? never seen it and am just curious. he looks great out there! good work.
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 17th, 2006, 6:13 pm

Looks awesome! I love to watch you work your dogs! :clap: :clap:
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Malli » March 17th, 2006, 6:14 pm

I agree, rumble is very happy in his work :)

Do you both use lots of toy reward to teach them?

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby lluksa » March 17th, 2006, 8:05 pm

Very nice and he is very into his work! Have to say...I LOVED his enthusiastic return to heel!
Lisa

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on" Franklin D. Roosevelt
lluksa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Chris Fraize » March 18th, 2006, 1:51 pm

Thanks all.

Rumble loves to work. The jump to heel is Rumble’s idea, totally natural for him. I use a combination of positive and negative reinforcement throughout training. (I don’t believe in purely positive training.) Balance training is the key.

Rumble takes his toll on me during obedience. He plays rough! He is one of my all time favorites to train with!

Safe training,
Chris Fraize
Chris Fraize
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby ellie@ny » March 18th, 2006, 2:20 pm

That's an awesome video!Rumble looks extremly happy,and smart!!!I belive he would do anything for you...! :rock:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 18th, 2006, 2:25 pm

As always I'm astounded! I love how Rumble's tail wags non-stop - he seems to adore you.
I sent you a PM - did you get it?
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » March 18th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Did I see him try and take the toy from you after the out?

My dog tries to take his toy reward early in training... it would be kind of funny if it didn't cause more corrections :rolleyes2:

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby bullymommy » March 18th, 2006, 4:59 pm

GOD! as aways the only thing that comes to mind is WOW!!!! i would love it if you were able to pm me some pointers!

PS Rumble is cute as hell!!!
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » March 19th, 2006, 12:57 am

I enjoyed the video too :)
The jumping made me laugh, of course I had to go make a sandwich, leave the computer for a while then come back to watch it, lol but enjoyed it none the less.
Jenn
undecided

Postby odnarb » March 19th, 2006, 3:44 pm

His flip finish is awesome :D
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 21st, 2006, 12:25 pm

Hey Chris, I have a question for you. When do you discipline? What do you use for corrections?

I have done corrections, and know how to do them, but was swept up in the clicker nazi movement and was anti-positive punishment/negative reinforcement for a long time.

I have been a purely positive clicker trainer, and am finding some holes that most PP trainers deny are there. I have not seen control like you have out of many purely positive trainers outside of breeds such as Goldens and BCs.

Yet I do not want to go mostly punishment either. I think, as you said, balance is key. I love the clicker for teaching behaviors, but I find it is not the best at teaching limits, or non-behaviors. There are some behaviors which I would like to not occur because the dog knows not to do it, rather than I have trained around it (such as taking food off counters.)

We can move this to behavior and training if anyone wants.

BTW, I love that video, very impressive to see the excitement to work and the control in the same dog. I really would like to come up to see you some time with my girls. Could you PM me your rates?
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby DemoDick » March 21st, 2006, 12:41 pm

Sorry Chris, I just got a chance to watch the video for the first time.

I like that Rumble ignores the unstable and irregular footing (hay bales, log) to maintain handler focus. I also like that he stays focused on you throughout the session, but that's not a surprise as I've seen him maintain that focus a lot longer than that with multiple decoys to distract him.

I had no sound on the version I watched. Towards the end you recalled him off of a hay bale. Were you directing him to crawl during the recall or was he creeping?

Connor does the same flip finish into heel (his idea as well). The difference is he doesn't slam me in the junk like Rumble does to Chris. He hits me in the chest and shoulder. The more I watch Rumble work the more I see Connor's potential. They must share the same brain.

Cool video. Should be required viewing for anyone who claims that corrections in training produce an unhappy obedience dog. I'm hoping to post a similar one myself soon.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Maryellen » March 21st, 2006, 12:51 pm

OMG that was awesome
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Chris Fraize » March 21st, 2006, 5:31 pm

When do you discipline?

When the dog is clearly disobeying.

What do you use for corrections?

I use mostly efficient, strong, well-timed understandable (by the dog) corrections. Some slight, some hard. The “level of correction” is different from dog to dog and drive to drive. Then as soon as the dog gets it correct, I will let him know he is now correct. Timing and level of corrections are everything.

BTW, I love that video, very impressive to see the excitement to work and the control in the same dog. I really would like to come up to see you some time with my girls. Could you PM me your rates?

Thanks!
Every client starts with an evaluation ($25.00) the cost is determined after the evaluation. Prices depend on what your goals are. Give April or Megan a call @ (207) 636 3124

Safe training,
Chris Fraize
Chris Fraize
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Chris Fraize » March 21st, 2006, 5:33 pm

Hi Danmodick!

We taught Rumble a crawl for the local fire departments and teaching kids what to do in a fire. The "Crawl" is a command. Though (as you have seen) sometimes Rumble "Offers" it when he is in drive overload!

Safe training,
Chris Fraize
Chris Fraize
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 21st, 2006, 8:32 pm

So are you using a choke chain? What do you use if off leash the dog disobeys, or do you not go off leash until you are 100% sure of the dog?

What do you think of the 30 minute down exercise?

Thank you for the answers above, they certainly jive with what I thought and have seen.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Chris Fraize » March 21st, 2006, 9:45 pm

So are you using a choke chain?

I don’t really like choke chains. I try to avoid using them. Sometimes choke chains are a good tool for a few things.

What do you use if off leash the dog disobeys,

The short answer is …”me”. :twisted: Easier to explain in person. :?

or do you not go off leash until you are 100% sure of the dog?

I start off leash when the dog is ready. Each dog is ready at a different time.

What do you think of the 30 minute down exercise?

Love it!

Thank you for the answers above, they certainly jive with what I thought and have seen.

You are welcome.
Chris Fraize
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Next

Return to Training & Behavior