Dilemma, Background or no?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Karen » March 17th, 2006, 8:14 am

I like this the way it is, but then again I hardly ever put backgrounds in any drawings so....... Does this need one? After 4 days to get this far I think I'd like to call it done

Here is the whole thing in a link http://members.aol.com/thelilacpitbulls/bridge.jpg

Here is a small part showing the detail.
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby Marinepits » March 17th, 2006, 8:28 am

WOW! :shock: That is really beautiful!

I like the background the way it is -- brings more focus onto the subjects.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » March 17th, 2006, 8:34 am

Oh my god! That is absolutely gorgeous! Seriously, I'm in awe . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Romanwild » March 17th, 2006, 8:52 am

Nice! That's a painting? What medium?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 17th, 2006, 9:02 am

i absolutely love it!!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 17th, 2006, 9:11 am

:shock: :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :shock:
Wow! That's phenomenal. I agree with the others, with the background plain it focuses more on the main elements. Gorgeous! You're extremely talented. Do you have a website where we can see more of your work?
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Karen » March 17th, 2006, 9:18 am

Romanwild wrote:Nice! That's a painting? What medium?

Acrylic on canvas is the brush and texture. Here is a rough idea of what it is the short version. Really short.

http://lilacpitbull.com/art_splain.html

Here is a special gift that was done with all the stopping points that were sent out to the givers for the OK before the next step was done.

http://lilacpitbull.com/A_Porttrait_is_Born.html

Taffy took a week to do I kept starting over nothing felt right until oil pastel. Each dog seems to have their favorite medium too. Sounds stupid huh? Tes looks like crap in anything other than acrylic. His coat shadings are too soft for pastel and water colors are too clear to layer shading with any control. Cuddles is a pen and ink with watercolor overlay.
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby Karen » March 17th, 2006, 9:24 am

Here is another of Tesla. His color is pretty uniform so each wrinkle and shadow is subtle

Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby Pitcrew » March 17th, 2006, 9:27 am

Beautiful... it has a background. Enough to tell a story relevant to the subject, but not to distract from it. I love dog art that is more than a portrait. I almost thought it was a photo at first.
What medium? Pastel?
Would you be interested in making a logo for the Bull-ympics? Your work would be on programs and shirts and the profits would go to fight bsl and breed rescue, and you could have a link on the website for your artwork.
Email me if your interested. Love to see a design idea. I could tell you what we have been toying with.
marker_terriers@yahoo.com
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby a-bull » March 17th, 2006, 9:27 am

WHAT?! WHAT?!!! Are you kidding me???! :o That is UNREAL!!!

Do you sell those??? I absolutely love that one!

Omg . . . :o
a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » March 17th, 2006, 9:29 am

I love them both, but I really love the first one!!

I didn't understand your original post because I thought it was a photo, too!!
a-bull
I live here

Postby Sue » March 17th, 2006, 9:31 am

a-bull wrote:WHAT?! WHAT?!!! Are you kidding me???! :o That is UNREAL!!!

I agree.... Wow is all I can say. I thought it was a photo myself.
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Karen » March 17th, 2006, 9:35 am

Psstttttttt Lisa I was going to do your dog for free remember? The J is for Jump thing?

As for the Bullylympics what did you have in mind? Chris has one that I did of the ATDO hardest hitting winner from a couple years ago in pen and ink with a light wash of clear color on the bite suit. Regretfully I don't have a copy of that one anymore. He was using it as the logo for his sport thing for a while.

I do sell them sometimes but haven't had good luck with that at all so I usually do the drawing/painting and slap it on cafepress stuff. Once in a great while I'll do a commission for something special and have it printed out huge as a gift or 8x10 on watercolor paper for me. I'm experimenting on printing on silk right now. Scarves and blocks. Interesting but I'm not sure if that's my thing or not. Printed on Nylon before, that was wild.
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby Pitcrew » March 17th, 2006, 9:48 am

Funny, your last 2 posts went up while I was typing mine. I didnt know you could do that in a computer. Maybe I could get back to my artwork too. But, I may not be computer savy enough.
I love it! The whole pic really has a story. I love pics like that!
I woul love a print if you do any. Are you close enough to be a vendor at the Bullympics? I would love to have you do something of my guys, past and present.
Did you ever get the jumping pics of Luke you wanted?
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby a-bull » March 17th, 2006, 9:59 am

Karen wrote:

Psstttttttt Lisa I was going to do your dog for free remember? The J is for Jump thing?

As for the Bullylympics what did you have in mind? Chris has one that I did of the ATDO hardest hitting winner from a couple years ago in pen and ink with a light wash of clear color on the bite suit. Regretfully I don't have a copy of that one anymore. He was using it as the logo for his sport thing for a while.

I do sell them sometimes but haven't had good luck with that at all so I usually do the drawing/painting and slap it on cafepress stuff. Once in a great while I'll do a commission for something special and have it printed out huge as a gift or 8x10 on watercolor paper for me. I'm experimenting on printing on silk right now. Scarves and blocks. Interesting but I'm not sure if that's my thing or not. Printed on Nylon before, that was wild.

Wait . . . I'm not Lisa, but I think I know who you're talking about, and she'd probably love one for free, lol I'm just Sandy, and I'd be happy to pay!! :)
a-bull
I live here

Postby Pitcrew » March 17th, 2006, 10:01 am

Well, for the logo, we were thinking of the olympic ring idea, but flip the rings so there are 3 on top and 2 on the bottom... and in each one have a different bully breed... pit, amstaf, staffie, bull t., am bulldog, doing something different in each one. Like weight pulling, frizbee, agility, springpole, being cute... whatever. I would leave it up to you. Something that says what the bullfest is , and the breeds are... in a picture.
You are obviously good at that. I really love your artwork. You have a new fan!
And I agree, eyes are VERY important! My pet peve. But I am not very good at backgrounds, or color. I love scratchboard though. Maybe I will post you a few of mine. Not sure if I have pics here. Maybe later.
Thank you for the J for jump thing! That would be great! I just thought it was just for your use. :D
Did you get the pics you wanted? I dont remember what I sent. I can send the whole disc if you want.
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Karen » March 17th, 2006, 10:15 am

Lisa wrote:Funny, your last 2 posts went up while I was typing mine. I didnt know you could do that in a computer. Maybe I could get back to my artwork too. But, I may not be computer savy enough.
I love it! The whole pic really has a story. I love pics like that!
I woul love a print if you do any. Are you close enough to be a vendor at the Bullympics? I would love to have you do something of my guys, past and present.
Did you ever grt the jumping pics of Luke you wanted?

Well I started back in 1999/2000 drawing with a crap program that was a free include with Windows and my mouse. I did the Dog Writers of America Award placque with that. It's pretty cool my Jiven reading drawing is on a national award that's given out at Westminister's banquet every year. I also did the logo for DogRead Country Reader

This was done with a mouse and that crappy thing. I was hooked. I scrimped and saved and then my dad gave me a cheap little Wacom Graphire tablet for my birthday. It was bundles with a program called Painter Classic. OMG it was WONDERFUL!

The textures, brishes, that cool PEN with the tablet, Heaven. That Christmas I was given the Upgrade to Painter 8. The whole program was there in its full glory. I can't explain to people that don't draw etc. what it is like to not be able to afford to do so. Things like food come before supplies. With this there is no final cost until you decide it is good enough to print out or send it out to be put on stretched canvas. Major publicatios are taking Painter generated art and using it in covers etc. There are tons of it in movies, graphic novels, it's amazing at the range of things you can do.

I upgraded to Painter 9 and it has a few perks that I'm exploring still. I haven't even learned half of the bells and whistles or the full capacity of the program but I'm happy plodding along.

As to being a vendor, I don't know? I have to work around Phantom's AKC schedule as majors are hard to come by.

I also did this (off topic) for the Nationals raffle when Cascade hosted it. It's Sandy's dog Oscar. Just for GP and to show I really do all my own stunts ;) It is carved into marble then filled with enamel and baked

I never got any pictures of Luke. I thought you changed your mind
Last edited by Karen on March 17th, 2006, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 17th, 2006, 10:25 am

I haven't looked at your art in a loooong time, you are getting better every time I do. Amazing stuff!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » March 17th, 2006, 10:41 am

Stunning work, I thought they were photos as well!
Jenn
undecided

Postby Hoyden » March 17th, 2006, 12:11 pm

Uh .... I thought that was a photo, how cow! That is incredible!!

I need that program and a tablet ! I used to paint alot, but haven't in about 10 years.

I am still saying Wow!
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk