Honda :)

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby oiradio47 » December 28th, 2007, 8:31 pm

here are a few pics of our African Spurred Sulcata land Tortoise. his name is "Honda" because he is slow and will run forever. He will live up to 150 years i believe. he is 5 years old now. he should be bigger, but we keep him in a large terrarium. He is moving into the corner of our basement in a few months. i'm going to build him a large pen so he can grow over 200lbs

oiradio47
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 28th, 2007, 8:34 pm

Oooh he's neat-looking! How big is he now?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby oiradio47 » December 28th, 2007, 8:42 pm

about 10" long, 6" wide, 5" tall
oiradio47
Just Whelped

Postby Favorite Kitty » December 28th, 2007, 8:46 pm

oh my god is he cute! i would kiss his little head all day :)
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby luvmypitties » December 28th, 2007, 8:58 pm

He is cute! And I like the name! It fits!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Marinepits » December 28th, 2007, 8:58 pm

Now HE is coool! 8)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Beth » December 28th, 2007, 8:59 pm

He's a cutie
Mom to
Blaze 3/17/93 - 3/30/07
Onyx b 3/7/99
Duchess b 3/12/02 r 9/18/02
Rifle b 12/1/02 r 8/8/03
Diamond b 5/3/05 a 8/3/05
Luka r 5/16/07
Dixie b 10/20/06 a 4/1/08
Beth
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » December 29th, 2007, 12:48 am

He is awesome!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby amazincc » December 29th, 2007, 12:58 am

Wow... what do you feed him? He looks like he has some major pyramiding going on... :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby luvmypitties » December 29th, 2007, 7:37 am

On December 28 2007, 11:58 PM, amazincc wrote:Wow... what do you feed him? He looks like he has some major pyramiding going on... :wink:

The turtle expert is here!!! Is pyramiding a good thing or a bad thing?
Tina

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby amazincc » December 29th, 2007, 7:49 am

It's not a good thing, unfortunately... http://www.turtlestuff.com/pyramid.html
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby luvmypitties » December 29th, 2007, 8:13 am

Yea it doesnt sound too good. Thanks for the link. It was interesting!
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby oiradio47 » December 29th, 2007, 2:13 pm

On December 28 2007, 11:58 PM, amazincc wrote:Wow... what do you feed him? He looks like he has some major pyramiding going on... :wink:

FRESH..green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, carrots, tomatos, and some fruit
oiradio47
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » December 29th, 2007, 2:25 pm

I hope I don't offend you, but that diet is like feeding your pups Ol' Roy... :o

You might want to check this out -

DIET - A high fiber, low protein and calcium rich diet will ensure good digestive tract function and smooth growth. Geochelone sulcata fed on cat or dog foods frequently die from renal failure or from impacted bladder stones of solidified urates. Avoid over reliance upon 'supermarket' greens and fruits, which typically contain inadequate fiber levels, excessive pesticide residues and are too rich in sugar and should be avoided. African Spurred tortoises are a grazing species; every effort should be made to duplicate this diet in captivity. Fruit should be offered very rarely or not at all as the Spurred Tortoise’s digestive system is not equipped to handle high sugar content foods.

Adequate Diet:

Orchard grass or hay

Timothy or Bermuda grass or hay

Leafy greens (dandelions, clover, endive, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, weeds etc.)

Cactus pads

Additional calcium supplementation is essential. Powdered calcium can be sprinkled all foods. It is suggested that one use calcium supplemented with vitamin D3 if the animal is being maintained indoors and calcium without D3 if it is outdoors. Provision of a cuttlefish bone, which can be gnawed if desired, is also recommended.

Please don't feel like I'm getting in your business... when I first got my own turts, there was TONS of stuff I didn't know... :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 29th, 2007, 2:28 pm

oiradio, Christine is part of an awesome turtle forum (Happy Turtle Pub, I believe). She's very much our resident expert on turtles. You should check out her forum and maybe they've got some more tips for you.

I thought the diet sounded very fresh and healthy - shows what I know! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » December 29th, 2007, 2:32 pm

On December 29 2007, 1:28 PM, pitbullmamaliz wrote:oiradio, Christine is part of an awesome turtle forum (Happy Turtle Pub, I believe). She's very much our resident expert on turtles. You should check out her forum and maybe they've got some more tips for you.

Standard advise from pet store employees... if it doesn't have fur or fins, it MUST eat lettuce... :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby oiradio47 » December 29th, 2007, 4:24 pm

i'm not offended at all, that is just what my wife had read. even suggested in a book she had bought :shock: he rarely gets fruit, and my wife does make special trips to our local hispanic grocery store to get cactus pads for him.

this really worries me now. thank you for the information.
oiradio47
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » December 29th, 2007, 4:40 pm

amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby DropkickPA » December 29th, 2007, 5:25 pm

Find a feed store locally and you can get timothy grass (hay) for super cheap (nothing like what a rip-off pet stores are). If it's a big feed store with a lot of horse clientele, you should be able to get second cut hay, which tends to be greener and finer.

I get mine by the bale for $5.65. I got a nylon bale bag for storage for about $30 from Horse.com (good storage is important, you don't want it to get moldy or wet or anything). I have 3 guinea pigs, and a bale lasts me about 3-4 months. You could also see if the feed store is willing to sell it by the flake (anything more than about $0.75/flake is a rip-off).
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby DropkickPA » December 29th, 2007, 5:31 pm

On December 29 2007, 1:32 PM, amazincc wrote:
On December 29 2007, 1:28 PM, pitbullmamaliz wrote:oiradio, Christine is part of an awesome turtle forum (Happy Turtle Pub, I believe). She's very much our resident expert on turtles. You should check out her forum and maybe they've got some more tips for you.

Standard advise from pet store employees... if it doesn't have fur or fins, it MUST eat lettuce... :wink:

Tell me about it! I had pet store people trying to tell me that alfalfa is good for adult guinea pigs (if you don't mind fat, bladder stoney cavies, maybe). Mine get collard greens and spinach as treats, never lettuce as it is nutritionally valueless (romaine is okay on occasion).
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Next

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members