You have GOT to be kidding me. HELP!

Postby jmashaney » December 27th, 2007, 3:37 pm

Paulie and dad were outside mending the fence when Paul runs inside to tell me that there is a little puppy running around on the other side.

Our dogs were standing by the fence, tails wagging, and the little brown thing was sitting calmly, staring back.

She's a little thing, maybe eight to ten pounds, with a fluffy brown coat. I'll take pictures once Paulie gets back from the store. (I sent him after some wormer.) She's sort of lab shaped.

I have no experience with dog rescue...any puppy I've ever had was healthy and I knew the background.

I've bathed her, she was covered in fleas, and there is a puncture wound on her lower jaw, in addition she has hair loss on the ridge of her tail. Her belly is swollen and squishy, but there is very little meat on her bones.

She is sitting here wrapper in a towel, half asleep. Her eyes were so dull while I was bathing her. She didn't even fight me.

Guys, I don't even know where to start...are my pups in danger of catching anything from her? They've had their first two round of shots, and I'm keeping them separated.
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby SisMorphine » December 27th, 2007, 3:44 pm

Not knowing what she has I would definitely keep your pups seperated for now. I would also walk her outside to potty in a place where your pups don't go.

I would feed her a bland diet, and if she is skinny then I would feed her a small amount every couple of hours so it's not a huge blow to her system. Definitely get a dewormer in her. Her lethargy could be from anemia from being covered in fleas. How do her gums look? Are they pink or white?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby jmashaney » December 27th, 2007, 3:49 pm

They are pink. I'm a little teary eyed right now. She's so beautiful in the sunlight now that she's clean. How on earth could she be running loose? :cry:
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby pmashaney81 » December 27th, 2007, 4:06 pm

Judge the deed, not the breed.

Jezebelle (AmStaff/Catahoula Cur) - b. 08/05/07
Justus (AmStaff/American Bulldog) - b. 08/09/07
Shelby - (APBT) - Rescue
Evie (Chihuahua) - b. 12/24/04
Percival - Rescued Kitty of mass proportions :)
pmashaney81
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » December 27th, 2007, 4:10 pm

does the dog have a tail? I can't tell in the picture...

Are you going to put up found puppy fliers or contact your local pound?
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby airwalk » December 27th, 2007, 4:14 pm

I was going to say..contact your local shelter and let them know you found her. Also local vets and vet clinics, emergency vet clinics so if she has an owner they can find you.

I would let your local ACO know the condition you found her in so that if an owner pops up the ACO knows about her condition and they may be interested in following up.

Definitely keep her separated from your dogs for now.
airwalk
I live here

Postby pmashaney81 » December 27th, 2007, 4:15 pm

LOL, yeah, she has a long tail. It's tucked under!

We are going to post on our local website in the lost and found, and put up fliers at the grocery store in town. I hadn't thought of calling the pound, but we will do that in a sec.

Thanks!
Judge the deed, not the breed.

Jezebelle (AmStaff/Catahoula Cur) - b. 08/05/07
Justus (AmStaff/American Bulldog) - b. 08/09/07
Shelby - (APBT) - Rescue
Evie (Chihuahua) - b. 12/24/04
Percival - Rescued Kitty of mass proportions :)
pmashaney81
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » December 27th, 2007, 4:26 pm

Also call/poster vet's offices.

On the posters you make do NOT put a picture or description of her. Just say "Puppy found in blah area." This way you can have people give YOU a description, which helps weed out some undesirables.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Marinepits » December 27th, 2007, 4:30 pm

On Thu, Dec 27 2007, 3:26 PM, SisMorphine wrote:Also call/poster vet's offices.

On the posters you make do NOT put a picture or description of her. Just say "Puppy found in blah area." This way you can have people give YOU a description, which helps weed out some undesirables.

Excellent point! :)

Thanks for taking the pup in -- sounds like you have everything well under control!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby jmashaney » December 27th, 2007, 4:33 pm

Dewormed...check!

Vet's office/ACO called...check!

No printer here at home right now, so I'll have to get some paper and sharpies here in a minute. Definitely NOT going to put her picture on it.

I made an appointment with our vet when I called. She said...Name? And I said...uh, do have to name it? Cause if I do, it'll stay! So we made the appointment in the name of "Puppy."

Fed her two tablespoons of wet dog food, which she inhaled. Not really interested in water at this time. Got her kenneled, which ticked her off.

She seems to have thrown off the lethargy in favor of a bark/growl/yap thing right now.

What should I be watching for, feces wise?
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby Marinepits » December 27th, 2007, 4:39 pm

On Thu, Dec 27 2007, 3:33 PM, jmashaney wrote:What should I be watching for, feces wise?

Any poo that is extremely runny, bloody/mucousy, or REALLY stinks worse than usual.

You may see some runny poo from the wormer, but that should go away within a few days. Same from the food change. You can try giving boiled boneless chicken or beef with plain rice to help any tummy issues.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby jmashaney » December 27th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Thanks! Glad I'm on vacation, so I can keep an eye on her.

Any guess on what mix she might be?
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » December 27th, 2007, 4:57 pm

I guess Dobie chocolate lab X :)

What kind of wormer did you use? Some of them don't cover enough parisites....
If she does have a bad case of worms, you may end up with her having large amounts of wormy diarrhea and even vomiting them up; in this case, she would need help from IV fluids and perhaps some additives to make up for what she is not able to eat while she clears them out.

I would go with boiled chicken and plain cooked white rice 1/2 and 1/2, Ideally if she's been eating that for a couple of days, I'd add in a diet such as Hills AD (its a wet food, high calorie and nutrition) or a recovery diet, you should be able to buy it at your vets - I would mix that in maybe 1/3 prepared wet diet to the chicken and rice. Then asap (within a week or 2 ideally) start her on a regular developemental or puppy diet, and you'd want to switch gradually and mix the 2.

Ideally it would be best if everything for the puppies was kept seperate : food bowls, leashes, bedding, laundry loads(was all on hot and hot dry, ideally with bleach), even wash your hands between handling them, etc etc.

vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy are signs of canine parvovirus, so keep an eye out for these! Oh, and keep her warm, like really warm (70-72 degrees)

HTH :)

Malli
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » December 27th, 2007, 4:59 pm

Awww... she is a CUTE little thing!!! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby jmashaney » December 27th, 2007, 5:16 pm

The wormer was pyrantel pamoate. (Walmart, what we could afford until payday!)

My aunt is sending funds over to help out, which is great!

No lethargy now! She's loud and throwing herself around in the kennel.

Still waiting for poop...lol, I've never been so anxious to see what's coming out of a dog's rear end before.
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby amazincc » December 27th, 2007, 5:20 pm

And I haven't been this anxious to hear about it in a while...lol

Btw... I agree w/Malli... definitely some chocolate lab in there...
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby gayrghts » December 27th, 2007, 5:28 pm

you're so great to take her in and fix her up....

hang in there.... you'll do fine :)
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby jmashaney » December 27th, 2007, 7:04 pm

BLECH! :puke:

Ok, we have poop. It was about half a cup of runny dark greenish brown..and it had THREE four-inch long worms in it. They were dead. (At least I think so, I didn't check for vitals, but they weren't moving!)

I poured a bunch of bleach on it, I don't know why, it seemed like the sanitary thing to do.

She's back in her crate now, and howling to beat the band. I mean she is AWAKE. (She slept solid for two hours. Didn't even change positions.)

Also, there is a yellow green discharge running out of her eyes.

I spoke to my renters next door and they said the guy two houses over had picked up two lab puppies off the side of the road and was asking if anyone wanted them. She said he was keeping them in the shed out back. I'm thinking that she's probably one of them...the guy isn't home right now.

I guess I need to give her back to him, huh? To give him the benefit of the doubt, the neglect may not be his fault, but it didn't look like he was doing anything for her.

Crap. What have I gotten myself into?
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby Marinepits » December 27th, 2007, 7:13 pm

Yellow-green discharge isn't good. Probably an eye infection or possibly an upper-respitory infection.

Are you going to visit the neighbor when he gets home to check on the safety of the other puppy? Does the neighbor know when he picked them up?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby jmashaney » December 27th, 2007, 7:14 pm

I had thought about it, but not sure how to go about this is at all.

My renter said it was a couple of days ago...
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Next

Return to Rescue