vomiting + diahrea

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Insomnia » March 16th, 2006, 8:20 pm

errr...I'm still @ work, just got a phone call from my parents that Harley is vomiting and having diahrea, huge mess! I took him to the vet twice yesterday, the first time to look at his skin, which is getting signifcantly better, I noticed that in the afternoon, he was out of energy and still having diahrea, I took him to the vet again and the vet gave me tummy medicine for him. She doesn't want to give him another shot because he just had the ivermectin shot for the skin yesterday..........when I get off work in 3 more hours, I'm gonna take him to the vet right away, what should I be looking out for, should I ask for any particular examination to be performed? How should I care for him for the time being?? Chicken & rice for meals?

Vets here don't explain a lot of things in detail and I have trouble understanding what they're talking about.....I'm so worried! I wonder what caused it...?
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Insomnia » March 16th, 2006, 8:23 pm

I forgot to mention...as of last night, his appetite was very good, just ate a lot slower than usual.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Purple » March 16th, 2006, 8:46 pm

I don't know if this will help, but keeping the dog hydrated should be a consideration. Is Harley showing signs of dehydration?
Purple
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 16th, 2006, 8:48 pm

i am wondering if he has parvo?? vomiting and diarrehea.. maybe, or he is not tolerating the ivermectin shot. or did he eat something in his crate today like the blankets or the plant on the balcony where he is staying??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 16th, 2006, 8:49 pm

I haven't seen him yet since last night b4 I left for work........he was drinking a good amount of water as usual.

I was reading up on Giardia? Is that possible? Is it contagious?
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Insomnia » March 16th, 2006, 8:52 pm

Maryellen wrote:i am wondering if he has parvo?? vomiting and diarrehea.. maybe, or he is not tolerating the ivermectin shot. or did he eat something in his crate today like the blankets or the plant on the balcony where he is staying??

This actually happened 2 days after I let him stay inside.....the balcony is not the cleanest area, but I mean...he was on the streets for a while....I'm hoping it's just a reaction to the ivermectin shot, but it happened b4 he got the 2nd shot....

He has no blood at all in his diahrea...so it couldn't be parvo??

Thanx for all the help.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Purple » March 16th, 2006, 8:52 pm

Is Giardia or parvo common in your part of the world?
Purple
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 16th, 2006, 8:52 pm

it could be giardia.. but i dont know if its contagious..is there another vet you can go to for a 2nd opinion? you must keep him hydrated like purple said so he doesnt get sicker..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 16th, 2006, 8:56 pm

parvo usually has blood in the stool... maybe he has worms too??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 16th, 2006, 8:57 pm

is it possible he got into something in the house? like the bathroom maybe or something??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 16th, 2006, 9:15 pm

he was dewormed when he started treatment for sarcoptic mange, I noticed worm in his stool right after deworming, so I guess he got that outta his system? He's been inside for 2 days, I spent the last two days with him so he couldn't have gotten into anything...but I did take him for short walks, damn it, I should not have done that, he's not vaccinated yet, but I figured he was living on the streets for a while......

Yeah....there's a hospital I can take him to that might provide more definitive results, it's a hospital the same size as human hospital, but for pets, I think I'll take him there, they're more fully equipped and provide results while u wait......oh man, I just worked 12 hours graveyard and got 8 more hour b4 my next 12 hour shift..... :bigCry:
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Romanwild » March 16th, 2006, 9:19 pm

I would try pepto bismol. :|
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 16th, 2006, 9:20 pm

it could be the ivermectin shots that is making him sick, or he might have swiped something on the walks that you didnt see. dont blame yourself
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Purple » March 16th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Romanwild wrote:I would try pepto bismol. :|

Pepto helps my ailing dogs, especially Purple.
Purple
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 16th, 2006, 9:29 pm

pepto might work, but i am more worried about the throwing up AND the diarrehea together.... that sounds like something more serious then a stomach ache. insomnia, is harley pooping normal?? when was the last time he pooped?? sometimes if there is a blockage you could have the vomit and diarrehea.. when jesse had an intestinal infection she was doing both ...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 16th, 2006, 9:31 pm

thanx for all the help!!.....got 25 min. b4 I get off work, gonna take Harley to the hospital...arghhh, rush hour traffic.

Wish me luck! actually Harley.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 16th, 2006, 9:33 pm

good luck harley and insomnia.. if possible GET A STOOL sample.. this way the 2nd vet can test it .. and if he throws up again bring a sample of that too...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Purple » March 16th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Good luck, keep us posted!
Purple
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 16th, 2006, 9:34 pm

Maryellen wrote:pepto might work, but i am more worried about the throwing up AND the diarrehea together.... that sounds like something more serious then a stomach ache. insomnia, is harley pooping normal?? when was the last time he pooped?? sometimes if there is a blockage you could have the vomit and diarrehea.. when jesse had an intestinal infection she was doing both ...

U know...his bathroom time is actually really normal. Yesterday morning, he pooped in his crate, normal stool, good color & firmness, but as I was walking him to the vet at noon, he had diahrea, it was after a meal, he was tired, so he rested, after he had dinner, we went out again for a short walk, he had diahrea again....and then this morning, which is now, is when my parents discovered the mess in his crate...so he actually hasn't gone more than usual......
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 16th, 2006, 9:54 pm

so he had the runs after he ate? could the food you are giving him be spoiled or rotten??
Maryellen
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health