Copper got into the dog food!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Jesseca » March 15th, 2006, 8:05 pm

Oh Copper, you crazy little doxie. :rolleyes2: I'm sure he'll be ok just keep watching him
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby msvette2u » March 15th, 2006, 8:37 pm

Geesh I was so worried I misspelled Dachshund... lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 15th, 2006, 9:29 pm

Marinepits wrote:
msvette2u wrote:Sounds like a plan...I may even crate him except it stresses him out so much. He HAS to be with me...
You know what this is, right? It's retribution for me laughing at that photo of Grant, Odnarb's dog, when he got into that dog food and overate!!! :rolleyes2:

Yup, sure is! :D

Luckily mine eat raw & can't open the refrigerator. Whew!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Miakoda » March 15th, 2006, 10:59 pm

Keep a close eye on him. Dogs with gastric torsion will become very lethargic. You will also notice them trying to vomit or have a bm without being able to produce anything. Set your alarm clock for every 2-3 hrs or so to routinely check on him. Chances are he'll be fine, but just to be safe. And NO food tomorrow (despite what he tells you, he'll live :wink: ). And possibly be ready for some visits from Mr. Diarrhea.

Last Halloween, not only did Wrigley get into the leftover candy (9 candy bars & 2 packs of peanut M&Ms :evil: ), but he also tore open a 30lb bag of dog food & chowed down. I gave him 40ccs of HP with no results so we tubed him to be on the safe side (he seemed very unfocomfortable & was extremely bloated...plus all the damn chocolate). He then got to finish off his night with 25ccs of Toxiban. So I know what you are going through. :D
Last edited by Miakoda on March 15th, 2006, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Purple » March 15th, 2006, 11:42 pm

How's the little porker doing?
Purple
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 16th, 2006, 2:00 am

He's really doing OK. He had a BM when we got home. He's still pretty bloated looking but doesn't seem uncomfortable at all.
At dinner time, he did just lay on the couch and look up at me with those huge brown eyes of his, as if to say "No thanks, none for me" which is a FIRST...
But he's getting around fine and seems OK.
I am anticipating a LONG NIGHT...let's hope he can make it until AM. With all the Cat laxative (hairball treatment) I gave him, I have my doubts!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Purple » March 16th, 2006, 8:30 am

Time for another update!
Purple
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 16th, 2006, 10:44 am

He slept like a rock! And he's acting like nothing happened! I'm not feeding him because it doesn't seem like a good idea. But you'd never know anything happened and he looks alot less bloated this morning... leave it to him to worry me for nothing!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 16th, 2006, 11:33 am

Poor little wobbler.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Purple » March 16th, 2006, 11:39 am

msvette2u wrote:He slept like a rock! And he's acting like nothing happened! I'm not feeding him because it doesn't seem like a good idea. But you'd never know anything happened and he looks alot less bloated this morning... leave it to him to worry me for nothing!

Very cool!
Purple
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 16th, 2006, 11:57 am

I'd fast him for two days to get it all out of his system. It won't hurt him a bit, though he will be very annoying.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby babyreba » March 16th, 2006, 12:41 pm

hey yvette, i didn't check in again till now--glad copper is doing better!

but for future reference (but hopefully you'll never need to know again!): from what i remember, i think the stuff jimmiedean got was called laxatone. it was a greasy, pasty stuff the vet said would lube up his insides and hopefully make things move along faster. he also told me that doxies aren't really that prone to bloat so he wasn't that worried about that.

but it sounds like copper is coming through this ok. poor guy. a dachshund's love for food can be its biggest enemy sometimes!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby msvette2u » March 16th, 2006, 12:57 pm

Fasting for two days makes sense and it seems an appropriate "punishment" although I know he doesn't realize what he did!!
;)

As an aside, I've had him snatch a piece of pizza OUT of my hand as I was biting INTO it. We almost had a tug of war over it, he was pretty new to us then and I was so shocked! He ran away with it and of course we took it from him but we had to throw it away...LOL
We've had him get up on the table...yes, a dachshund "counter surfing" it sound funny and I told my mom about it, she asked "How'd he get on the TABLE???" I said "Well when the kids leave their chairs out he jumps up on the chair and then up to the table!
I've seen him get up there and grab a whole piece of pizza and gobble it down before I could do anything about it. He knows he has to eat fast or I'll get it away from him.
He's ULTRA creative when it comes to stealing food! :o
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » March 16th, 2006, 1:32 pm

my god, little terror. Oscar is like that, but only rarely any more with little "treats" outside. Sometimes I think he'll -try- and down it before I can get to him just in case it might taste good.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » March 16th, 2006, 1:53 pm

Malli wrote:my god, little terror. Oscar is like that, but only rarely any more with little "treats" outside. Sometimes I think he'll -try- and down it before I can get to him just in case it might taste good.

Malli

Aren't they terrible!? LOL
msvette2u
I live here

Postby JCleve86 » March 16th, 2006, 3:37 pm

Malli wrote:my god, little terror. Oscar is like that, but only rarely any more with little "treats" outside. Sometimes I think he'll -try- and down it before I can get to him just in case it might taste good.

Malli

Molly does that too. Well, both do, but mostly Molly. She has an intense love of ciggarette butts, and knows I don't like her to eat them, so if she sees anything that MIGHT be a ciggarette butt (piece of white paper? piece of bark?) she tries to snatch it up real-quick-like before I can tell her no. Then she gets all upset. Frickin animals.

Bosco learned to eat cigg butts from her, but the last time he tried, it was one that someone had just thrown on the ground and it was still lit. He burned his little mouth and hasn't tried to eat one since!
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby msvette2u » March 16th, 2006, 3:56 pm

Oh my she's addicted to nicotine! That could be dangerous, that nutty dog!! :o
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 16th, 2006, 4:12 pm

JCleve86 wrote:

Malli

Molly does that too. Well, both do, but mostly Molly. She has an intense love of ciggarette butts, and knows I don't like her to eat them, so if she sees anything that MIGHT be a ciggarette butt (piece of white paper? piece of bark?) she tries to snatch it up real-quick-like before I can tell her no. Then she gets all upset. Frickin animals.

Bosco learned to eat cigg butts from her, but the last time he tried, it was one that someone had just thrown on the ground and it was still lit. He burned his little mouth and hasn't tried to eat one since!

My neighbor's lab/rottie mix used to eat lit ciggs. No one could smoke around her because she would try to eat it while it was in their mouth. She was NUMB!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Malli » March 16th, 2006, 4:26 pm

Oscar went for the cigarret butts when he was little, but stopped, hes particular about taste, so I guess when he figured out how gross they tasted he broke the habit, so to speak...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » March 16th, 2006, 5:56 pm

Get her a nicotine patch!!! LOL
msvette2u
I live here

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health