Copper got into the dog food!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby msvette2u » March 15th, 2006, 6:27 pm

While I was gone to work! The lid was off when I got home, and his belly is BLOATED!! (he's a dacshund)
I've given him 3 tsp. hydrogen peroxide but he hasn't vomited yet. I may try the salt.
I'm worried about his belly getting hurt somehow by the bloating.
It didn't look like this when I went to work this AM...what does anyone think??

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby babyreba » March 15th, 2006, 6:44 pm

My ex's dachshund did that once . . . I freaked out to see him so bloated, so I took him to the vet. He ate so much he could barely walk, but the vet just gave him something to help him pass the food and sent us home.

Hope poor Copper is OK!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby msvette2u » March 15th, 2006, 6:46 pm

Thanks...what did they give you? He is walking ok but he looks pregnant!!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » March 15th, 2006, 6:47 pm

The hydrogen peroxide trick only works if the food is still in his stomach. You have to either catch them in the act or catch them within an hour or so of eating the food (or whatever else). If the food has moved to his intestine, then he can't vomit it up.

Don't try the salt. It will make his tummy more upset. Either call your vet or call an emergency vet and make sure you tell them that you already gave peroxide.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » March 15th, 2006, 6:47 pm

When Ruby did that they just said to let it pass and not to feed her for two days.

It should pass.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » March 15th, 2006, 6:48 pm

That is toooo funny!! Poor baby I am sure he is miserable but he looks soo funny
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » March 15th, 2006, 6:52 pm

sometimes I think the bloating can be serious. I think it may depend on how much the dog ate.
Do dacshund get gastric torsion??? Or stomach flip.

I guess it depends on how distressed (or not) you think he is :|

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » March 15th, 2006, 6:55 pm

Marinepits wrote:The hydrogen peroxide trick only works if the food is still in his stomach. You have to either catch them in the act or catch them within an hour or so of eating the food (or whatever else). If the food has moved to his intestine, then he can't vomit it up.

Don't try the salt. It will make his tummy more upset. Either call your vet or call an emergency vet and make sure you tell them that you already gave peroxide.

Oh crud. That makes sense. Our own vet here in town said try the peroxide. He doesn't seem as if he's going to puke, that's for sure. He's sitting in the laundry room barking.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 15th, 2006, 6:56 pm

Malli wrote:sometimes I think the bloating can be serious. I think it may depend on how much the dog ate.
Do dacshund get gastric torsion??? Or stomach flip.

I guess it depends on how distressed (or not) you think he is :|

Malli

He is distressed because he's in the laundry room. I'll just bring him back in here and keep an eye on him.
He can still jump up on the couch, amazingly enough...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 15th, 2006, 6:59 pm

If you push on his belly does he look like he is in discomfort or pain?

If he his moving well enough to jump on the couch he's probably ok. IMO
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » March 15th, 2006, 7:02 pm

He doesn't seem to be in pain, no. I'll keep a close eye and if he starts acting distressed I'll run him in there. They are open until 5:30 (its only 3 now). I should know by then.
I'm eating some chicken for a late lunch and he wants some of that. I guess that's a good sign!??? Argh! How these dogs make us worry!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » March 15th, 2006, 7:11 pm

could you get some olive oil in him to get things moving?? I'm not sure if that will help.

with dogs that have torsion, they appear gassy, bloated (though obviously thats a given) and the owner's report them acting off. If he is still acting himself, he's most likely really full.

dumbass dog!

mine took a few licks of uncured (liquid) wall plaster once. It was on to the hydro peroxide and then for a 1/2 hr walk while he puked his guts out. He was also a dumbass :lol:

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » March 15th, 2006, 7:17 pm

He IS a dumbass! I can see him sitting here thinking how clever he is, getting into that danged container of food!
He's sleeping beside me now.
I remembered that a few years back, I had a dog once that ate a paperclip (no idea why!) we gave him some bread with CAT HAIRBALL REMEDY so I gave him some hairball remedy to grease his wheels :) No bread though LOL
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 15th, 2006, 7:19 pm

I read that vaselene can help grease the works as well. Just coat their feet with it and they lick it off instinctively.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » March 15th, 2006, 7:22 pm

we had a dog at work the other day that ate the lady's razor !! Apon further inspection of his poop (us LUCKY LUCKY ward nurses) we found a whole slew of foreign bodies, including, get this, a label saying "made in china", and he's a Sharpei!!!

muahahaha.

We also had one dog that was in for her 4th rock surgery the other day, we'd seen her about a month earlier for her 3rd!! Her mum was so mad, she says they have a collection. I think she'll have to get the dog a muzzle and have her wear it when she goes outside at all times...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Malli » March 15th, 2006, 7:23 pm

oh, so p.s. our dogs really aren't that much of dumbasses :lol:
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » March 15th, 2006, 7:24 pm

OMG. That reminds me, dogs eat pennies sometimes and it can poison them!
I should not complain about him gorging on simple kibble... LOL
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » March 15th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Try not to let him be too active (jumping on the couch, etc) because when his little tummy is THAT full, it's more prone to flipping and causing bloat. The less active the better, unless he seems sick or "off" -- then it's time to take him to the e-vet immediately.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » March 15th, 2006, 7:32 pm

Sounds like a plan...I may even crate him except it stresses him out so much. He HAS to be with me...
You know what this is, right? It's retribution for me laughing at that photo of Grant, Odnarb's dog, when he got into that dog food and overate!!! :rolleyes2:
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » March 15th, 2006, 8:01 pm

msvette2u wrote:Sounds like a plan...I may even crate him except it stresses him out so much. He HAS to be with me...
You know what this is, right? It's retribution for me laughing at that photo of Grant, Odnarb's dog, when he got into that dog food and overate!!! :rolleyes2:

Yup, sure is! :D
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health