MrsPigHunta's Pighunta

Post your pics and vids here.

Postby cheekymunkee » March 15th, 2006, 1:49 pm

I buy them in bags of about 20 pounds live. Crawfish must be alive, if you run across a dead one throw it away. Boil them in a HUGE pan of water, filled with zatarain's crab boil ( a couple of packages) , onions, whole small red potato & corn on the cob. Put the crawdads in last & boil them like you would a lobster. Have plenty of ice cold beer & lemons. Lemons take the burn out of your lips because crab boil is spicey. That's all there is to it. Serve them like a soup over rice. Some people put andouille sausage in the pot but I don't think it is neccessary. Oh, you need to add some creaole seasoning to the pot too. Easy peasy! But a bit smelly, it is better to cook them outside with a fish fryer.

Some don't use the soup method to serve but I like the broth. Most of the time the crawdads & vegetables are removed.
Last edited by cheekymunkee on March 15th, 2006, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » March 15th, 2006, 1:50 pm

Tripe IS tasteless & rubbery but when you cook it in a menudo it takes on a whole new meaning.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » March 15th, 2006, 2:28 pm

Oh, I forgot to tell you to clean the crawfish very well, they can be dipped in water a few times but don't drown them. Also, cooking is the easy part, eating them is tricky. Here is a step by step lesson

Step 1
Gently twist the head apart from the tail and set the head aside

Step 2
Peel away 2 to 3 segments of shell from the tail to expose more meat

Step 3
Pinch the bottom end of the tail while carefully pulling the meat out of the shell.

Step 4
For an extra mouthful of flavor, gently suck the seasoned juices out of the head, or insert a finger into the cavity and scoop out the golden “fat”.

Now you can say that I am the one who taught you to "pinch tail & suck heads". :wink:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » March 15th, 2006, 2:40 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Tripe IS tasteless & rubbery but when you cook it in a menudo it takes on a whole new meaning.

When you cook it in an 80's boy band made up of underage latino boys?

I've just never heard "menudo" in any other sense . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Jenn » March 15th, 2006, 2:46 pm

Well don't know about serving as a soup over rice thing :| never done it that way. We just go with the beer flats full to the top and munch away! LoL They need to be purged, we've always filled a kiddie pool up with hose water, put a thing of salt in and let them be for about 15-20 minutes.. When your ready reach in scoop you up some and throw them in the pot! :D I'm getting hungry..... Mushrooms, sausage, onions, red potatoes, and corn are a must for our mudbug gatherings. ;)
Jenn
undecided

Postby Jenn » March 15th, 2006, 2:48 pm

SisMorphine wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:Tripe IS tasteless & rubbery but when you cook it in a menudo it takes on a whole new meaning.

LOL!! :spit: It's a Mexican soup!!
http://www.waynesmith.net/food/menudo.htm
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » March 15th, 2006, 2:52 pm

SisMorphine wrote:

You can cook it that way if you want, they are a little hard to catch & you must have a BIG pot. :wink:

Yeah Jenn, I am one of the few that eats it like a soup I think. I just pour the broth with the rice. I've never had it with mushrooms but I bet that's good.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » March 15th, 2006, 2:55 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Oh, I forgot to tell you to clean the crawfish very well, they can be dipped in water a few times but don't drown them. Also, cooking is the easy part, eating them is tricky. Here is a step by step lesson

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3
Pinch the bottom end of the tail while carefully pulling the meat out of the shell.

Step 4
For an extra mouthful of flavor, gently suck the seasoned juices out of the head, or insert a finger into the cavity and scoop out the golden “fat”.

Now you can say that I am the one who taught you to "pinch tail & suck heads". :wink:

lol You kill me!

I hope I can find some live ones! I can't wait. I want to suck the juice out of their brains!

I'm saving the recipe! Thx!
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Romanwild » March 15th, 2006, 2:55 pm

SisMorphine wrote:

:fastRoll:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 15th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Romanwild wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:Oh, I forgot to tell you to clean the crawfish very well, they can be dipped in water a few times but don't drown them. Also, cooking is the easy part, eating them is tricky. Here is a step by step lesson

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

lol You kill me!

I hope I can find some live ones! I can't wait. I want to suck the juice out of their brains!

I'm saving the recipe! Thx!

Fish markets should have them. Here at certain times of the year we can get them in grocery stores. In Louisiana you can find them anywhere.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » March 15th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Hey look!! I found a couplde of places that will ship them to you live if you can't find them local

One place even has Cafe du Monde Coffee & Beignets,Yummmm

http://www.cajun-shop.com/Merchant2/mer ... ry_Code=CC

http://www.cajun-shop.com/Merchant2/mer ... ry_Code=CR

http://www.pontchartrain-seafood.com/

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » March 15th, 2006, 11:44 pm

uh....

how do you cook tripe in a boy band from the 80's?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » March 15th, 2006, 11:47 pm

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

I posted that before I made it to Sis' post!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » March 16th, 2006, 12:21 am

mnp13 wrote::hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

I posted that before I made it to Sis' post!

Great minds think alike . . . in wicked cheesy ways :clap:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby a-bull » March 16th, 2006, 8:59 am

Whoa . . . I feel like I'm trapped in a bad episode of "Fear Factor." :o

But I do have a question . . .

If I fish--does that make me a "fish-hunta," and do I need to use a cat to track & hold?? :P

Mia---Any pictures of those Catahoula?? I'd love to see them . . .
a-bull
I live here

Postby Purple » March 16th, 2006, 9:01 am

a-bull wrote:Whoa . . . I feel like I'm trapped in a bad episode of "Fear Factor." :o

But I do have a question . . .

If I fish--does that make me a "fish-hunta," and do I need to use a cat to track & hold?? :P

Mia---Any pictures of those Catahoula?? I'd love to see them . . .

LOL!!!!! :fish: :cat:
Purple
I live here

Postby bahamutt99 » March 17th, 2006, 4:14 am

Sick. I'm going in the kitchen to hug my hotdogs and macaroni now. :P
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby chance's mom » March 17th, 2006, 5:37 pm

man do i miss southern food!!! i have a lot of my family still in GA(fried catfish and trout like you wouldnt believe!!), FL where i ate gator and frog legs, and LA good ol' well everything!!! i used to help my grandpa hunt wild hogs when i lived in ga, we also hunted coons, hogs scared the crap out of me, since my uncle is a taxadermist (spelling?) he had him mount one i shot in my room!!! i was a brat, but not when i was near that thing!
by the way, your dog looks stunning!!!
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous

Return to Gallery and Cinema