UPDATED: APBT presentation

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 13th, 2006, 7:48 pm

On Sunday, I will be going to speak to a group of adolescent boys about APBTs

Unfortunately, from what I've been told these kids seem to have either seen or heard the worst about the breed and have questions that the others who go visit can’t answer. I have been told a couple are also terrified of dogs.

I haven’t decided if I am bringing one of the dogs with me or not yet as I’m not familiar with how their program is run and what the other handlers are like. I know there are several other dogs not APBTS are already involved with the program. I let the director know that right upfront. I always think of my dogs and there safety and comfort levels first. Honestly though I really am always leery of nonapbt handlers as they tend not to be aware of personal space and I find they don’t always pay very good attention to their dogs.
LOL Guess I’m a “pit bull snob” so to speak. LOL

My dogs LOVE kids and I know they will do great if the program seems like a good fit they’ll get to visit too.

I really think education will shape help the future of the breed.

Wish us luck in showing them the GOOD of the breed and putting aside the myths
Last edited by Patch O' Pits on March 20th, 2006, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby pocketpit » March 13th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Good luck!! It sounds like a wonderful opportunity for your kids (and you :D ) to turn some folks around :thumbsup:
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 13th, 2006, 10:12 pm

Good luck with that! Let us know how it goes!
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Purple » March 13th, 2006, 10:16 pm

Good luck, and thank for for taking advantage of an opportunity to show the APBT in a positive light!
Purple
I live here

Postby Romanwild » March 13th, 2006, 10:36 pm

That is a great opportunity!!!

Especially with adolescent boys!

We have been trying to line up some gigs for the club to do.

Please let us know how it goes! :D
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Asta » March 14th, 2006, 8:33 am

Sounds great! The best of luck to you :)
I am so curious to hear how it went!

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 14th, 2006, 8:42 am

Thanks I'm really looking forward to it.

I look at most troubled teens as in a similar situation to the breed... misunderstood and in need of help

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Romanwild » March 14th, 2006, 8:57 am

I couldn't agree more.

I find myself on the local Teen Center's board. I have taught boxing to some of them and their situations are very similar.

I have had many people ask me why I am bothering to help these kids. They have already been cast aside and they are just kids. :(
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Blitzkrieg Staffords » March 14th, 2006, 11:46 pm

Anxious to hear how it went. If you want to earn some credibility and make the full impact with the boys, I think you should definitely ask if you can take one of your dogs with you. :|
Blitzkrieg Staffords
Just Whelped

Postby Maryellen » March 15th, 2006, 9:04 am

hey good luck therese!! i know you will do great!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » March 15th, 2006, 9:09 am

Hands on is great for kids. If I were there as a kid It would not be the same talk if the breed was not in attendence. The others will probably think your a snob anyway.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 15th, 2006, 9:34 am

Blitzkrieg Staffords wrote:Anxious to hear how it went. If you want to earn some credibility and make the full impact with the boys, I think you should definitely ask if you can take one of your dogs with you. :|

It is on Sunday. I agree having one of my dogs there will make more impact on them, but I won't bring a dog until I see what the other handlers are like and how the facility is run. At this point, I'm only going to speak with them bring the magazine the dogs are in and some pictures as well as some info on the dogs they can keep, and then may bring one in during the second half of the presentation. I prefer to do visits when only my dogs are there. It makes for a more relaxing visit IMO.

I actually have a ton of experience working with kids. I have volunteered in camps for special needs kids since I was in junior high. Also for the last 17 years I've taught special ed from neurologically impaired to emotional disturbed children and the full spectrum in between.

I'll keep you posted on how Sunday goes. :P

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby PITS4LIFE » March 15th, 2006, 9:47 am

GOOD LUCK!!!! It is really great what you are doing!!! :)
PITS4LIFE
Just Whelped

Postby rockermom » March 15th, 2006, 9:58 am

Can you keep him crated near by and if it looks good you can bring him out?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 15th, 2006, 2:31 pm

houlabulla? wrote:Hands on is great for kids. If I were there as a kid It would not be the same talk if the breed was not in attendence. The others will probably think your a snob anyway.

The first part of doing a therapy visit is setting it up at a place where both dog and handler are totally comfortable. I do not but any undue stress on them. I always visit and tour any facility before my dogs are allowed to go whether or not other handlers are there or not. As a general rule, during a visit if any dog show signs of stress or discomfort the visits are ended. Thanksfully in the years I have done therapy work I have never had to cut a visit short ; I feel that is mostly due to the preplanning

Yes, absolutely hands on is better, but is not always possible.

Can you keep him crated near by and if it looks good you can bring him out?
there is no place besides the room we are in where a dog can be left. Since I don't want them in a situation I haven't seen first that would not be an option

However like I mentioned I have aready planned to bring one into the second 1/2 of the session which would be the second 1/2 hour if all goes well. I am bringing someone with me who is going to hang out outside and walk my fur kid for the beginning
Last edited by Patch O' Pits on March 15th, 2006, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby cheekymunkee » March 15th, 2006, 2:48 pm

You will do wonderfully!! I'm excited to hear how it goes.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 20th, 2006, 2:27 pm

We went on our visit on Sunday and it went GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There were about 20 boys and a GSD mix, AB, Deaf JRT, deaf HUGE Great Dane, A Schipperki(sp???), a golden, an Old English sheepdog, a mix and their handlers plus a couple of people that worked there.

It was a nice group. Some of the boys were a little standoffish at first but they were getting kisses from Steel by the end. They had a lot of questions and even wanted to look inside his mouth check out his teeth which I had them do. Steel is a good sport and tolerated everything they dished out with a wagging tail and bully smile. He was eating up all the love and petting

They took a ton of pictures to hang up there with him. Of course I have none as it wasn't allowed, but at least they have picts.

I ended up being there a ot longer than planned. Steel was having an awesome time and I had fun too.

We were given an open invitation to go back. I can't do it on a regualr basis as it is about a 50 minute drive for me, but I will go back again.

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Maryellen » March 20th, 2006, 2:34 pm

oh Therese that is EXCELLENT News!!!! i knew you would do great!!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 20th, 2006, 2:51 pm

GREAT NEWS!!!!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » March 20th, 2006, 3:30 pm

Glad to hear it was such a success!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk