What name would you pick?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby SpiritFngrz » March 15th, 2006, 11:51 am

If your dog (like some rescues) already came with a name, what would you name her/him if she/he didn't have a name?

Satin's name suits her nice coat, so we kept it. I asked my husband what he would name her if she didn't already have a name and he said "Black Magic"

:ROFL2:
I just thought that was funny. Maybe because she is always zooming and whizzing around.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 15th, 2006, 12:05 pm

rufus came with his name.. we tried for 3 months to find a different name for him, but nothing fit.. so rufus stuck.. and it actually fits him.

jesse my husband named because his ex was going to name their daughter jessica but changed it to rebecca, and he likes the name jesse..

sonny came with that name, and he wouldnt answer to anything but that..

i usually watch and interact with fosters/new dogs for a few days, then go online to 3000 dog names and weed thru them till i find the one that matches the dog..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 15th, 2006, 12:19 pm

it all depends on the dog (how many times have I posted that now...)

Ruby was ToTo when I got her. Talk about the WRONG name! It took us a couple days to pick a name for her, but I don't think I ever called her ToTo. I wanted to name her Jade, but Demo is big on the 'two syllable name' thing.

Connor was Prestley, and again it was a few days before we picked a name. We wanted something 'cool' but not 'big tough Pit Bull'. Axel was a front runner for a while. I can't remember where Demo came up with Connor. I called him Skeletor for a while.

Riggs came with his name and I like it. It fits with his registered name, so why change? It also gave me a great excuse to go out and buy some new DVD's.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 15th, 2006, 12:21 pm

I have this thing where I like naming animals after gods and goddesses. Inara is the protector goddess of all wild animals, except dragons (it says that, I swear!).
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » March 15th, 2006, 12:26 pm

None of my dogs have ever come with names. Munkee got his because he looked like a monkey when he was a baby & well..........he ACTS like one as an adult.

My daughter named Justice. Her registered name is "7 New Stars Over Texas", she was born February 1st at about the same time the space shuttle blew up & in the same vicinity. I am not that crazy about her call name, I would have named her something more feminine because she is such a girly girl.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » March 15th, 2006, 12:26 pm

Just don't use the name Stains......
Ballad Of A Dog Named Stains
(Stevens/Johnson/Lawry/Grenga)
Red Peters with Smelly Water
featuring The Dickner Brothers (Iben, Uben & Heben)

Storyteller (spoken word)
VERSE ONE

I was sittin' out on the porch the other night
reminiscing about the good ole days
and how my grandson Bobby and I would finish up chores
and mosey on into town.
Heck, we were poor back then
but we loved window shopping.
And I recall how excited Bobby'd get
'specially when we stopped by the pet shop.
you see, there was this one little puppy
that he really took a hankerin' to
and he'd look up at me and say
"Grandpa... if that was my dog, I'd name him Stains,
cuz of that splash of white on his coat."
Well, right then and there, I made a up my mind,
that I'd get that little critter for Bobby
so that following mornin', I cashed in a savings bond and brought the little mutt home.
Darnit, I couldn't tell you who was happiest that day,
me, Bobby or that there dog.
Them two were inseparable ....
why, you'da need a crowbar to separate those two.
And to this day, I can still hear the boy hollerin' after that dog...
still hear him calling... calling out his name...

CHORUS (sung)
Come Stains! Come Stains!
I still can Hear him calling...Come Stains!

Storyteller
VERSE TWO

you know, we don't like talkin' about it much
but it was that following winter
that little Bobby took ill.
and they don't allow dogs at the hospital
so back home you'd find Stains on Bobby's bed.
I'll never forget the day Doc called
and gave us the bad news about Bobby
out of the corner of my eye
I saw Stains lift his sad little dogface from Bobby's pillow.
Somehow he knew that Bobby was gone
and I swear to the good lord
that Stains was hearing Bobby calling out to him one more time from heaven
he just sorta smiled, crossed his paws like he was prayin'
put his head on the pillow..........and passed away.

CHORUS
I still can hear him calling, Come Stains!
I still can hear him calling, Come Stains!

(boy and dog united in Heaven) "Come Stains! Come Stains!...Stains!...Woof, woof..."
Romanwild
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 15th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Oh MY :o

:ROFL2:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » March 15th, 2006, 1:10 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:None of my dogs have ever come with names. Munkee got his because he looked like a monkey when he was a baby & well..........he ACTS like one as an adult.

I love Munkee. Sometimes I call Satin monkey because some of the faces she makes looks like a monkey and she definitely acts like one. My husband says Doreen the dog is not a monkey but I say that she acts crazy like one :hearNoEvil:
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 15th, 2006, 1:25 pm

I need to scan some of his baby pictures, He had a round little head, round little ears & round little tummy. He is 6 & is silly as he was when he was 6 weeks. That dog will do ANY thing to make me laugh. He loves the sound of laughter.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pLaurent » March 15th, 2006, 1:41 pm

My dog came with a name I hated - "Rhonda"! :o

So on the drive home with her in the backseat, I just went through the alphabet to find a name that was girlie and cute. When I reached the C's, "Chloe" seemed to fit.:)

I find cute names do help. Once in awhile if someone is wary of her I tell them her name, and they always smile.
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » March 15th, 2006, 2:06 pm

SpiritFngrz wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:None of my dogs have ever come with names. Munkee got his because he looked like a monkey when he was a baby & well..........he ACTS like one as an adult.

I love Munkee. Sometimes I call Satin monkey because some of the faces she makes looks like a monkey and she definitely acts like one. My husband says Doreen the dog is not a monkey but I say that she acts crazy like one :hearNoEvil:

I always called my little girly rats Monkeys because they would hang off the sides of the cage. I miss those monsters :(

Wally came with his name. His racing name was Wallcloud (how stupid is that?) and his kennel name was Wally. At first I thought it would be awkward since I had grown up with a kid named Wally, but frankly it fits him perfectly.

Though his official name now is NOT Wallcloud but Sir Wallace to give him a bit more of a snooty air :) :ROFL2:

I already have a name picked out for my next dog. I have a girly name picked out too for the crazy occurrence that I ever break down and invite another female into this household. There is a VERY slim chance of ever using that name :D
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 15th, 2006, 2:17 pm

I named all mine by the way they looked and their personalities
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 15th, 2006, 2:26 pm

Sidney was named Bean by her fostermommy. Phil didn't like it, so I decided we'd compromise and keep Bean as her middle name when we adopted her.
We wanted to name Bean "Cadence", but didn't want people to call her "Cady", so we agreed on Sidney.... but I still call her Bean sometimes. SiddaBean mostly. :)
We did name our little foster girl Cadence-- now her new family calls her Cady. :|
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Purple » March 15th, 2006, 2:28 pm

CHARLES....LMAO!!!!!!
Purple
I live here

Postby Purple » March 15th, 2006, 2:30 pm

We kept all but a few of their original names. Purple just fit her, she's unique!
We had a Doberman named Ambush, we renamed him Mylo.

Our deaf Dalmation came with the name Buddy, and it just didn't fit him, actually butthead fits him, but we call him Sammy or Spot....

Hopscotch and Dexter we kept the same. Hopscotch is unique, I think she is the only Hopscotch on dogster!!!
Purple
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » March 15th, 2006, 2:32 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:I need to scan some of his baby pictures, He had a round little head, round little ears & round little tummy. He is 6 & is silly as he was when he was 6 weeks. That dog will do ANY thing to make me laugh. He loves the sound of laughter.

OMG Munkee and Satin would love each other then :love3: :beerChug:
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 15th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Well, prolly not. Munkee only loves kitties, he would prefer to be the ONLY dog on the planet. He tolerates my little Ollie dog but she is the only one. He & Justice would kill each other given the chance.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Miakoda » March 15th, 2006, 3:19 pm

Most of my dogs have Native American names (Miakoda, Akecheta, Dyani, Meko, Chenoa, Sukari, etc.), however, due to the husband's persistence, we also have some with baseball players' names & stadium names (Chipper, Jeter, Shea, Wrigley, Kofax).

I do have a handful of normal names for my dogs as well (Annabelle, Butch-hate it but he was 2 yrs old & came with that name).

And of course some dogs name themselves. For instance, Shaker (my avator) was 6 wks old when I got him & he LOVED to try & shake things. One day a couch pillow was on the floor when he put his little puppy jaws into action & shook with all his might, however, the pillow didn't move & his little back end came off the floor, so he got the name SC's Shake It Up aka Shaker. Then there was Clamp. Oh, & Clamp was about 10wks old when he earned his name by leaving one of his teeth in my hand after a roughhousing episode.

And of course we have a male dog named D.D. Sounds funny but it stands for Devil Dog--trust me, he definitely earned that name as he is waaaaay more destructuve than a Tazmanian Devil (plus he's little & black too). So there you have it folks.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby JCleve86 » March 15th, 2006, 3:50 pm

When we got the Boxers, Molly was the only one who had a name. They called her "Chubbs" because she was the fattest one in the litter. We named Bosco after my favorite character on a now off-air TV show (Third Watch), and just picked Molly? (Which is, oddly enough, the real name of the gal who played Bosco's partner on the show).

When I get another Boxer he will be from working lines and I'm going to name him (or her) Brinks, as in Brinks Home Security. :D

And if one came into rescue, I'd scoop up a big overdone bully girl just to have a female dog named Butch.
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby bullymommy » March 15th, 2006, 9:00 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I have this thing where I like naming animals after gods and goddesses. Inara is the protector goddess of all wild animals, except dragons (it says that, I swear!).

now why is everyone so mean to dragons they didnt do anything to anyone LOL well besides the killing thing but still. ;)

hannah came with her name and well i just couldnt think of anything else to call her.

chub chub came with his name because he was a fatty fo fatty and i have so many nick names for him that i dont need to change his name (i dont want to either)
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Next

Return to Off-Topic