Puppy potty training???

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby MAXIMUS!!! » November 29th, 2007, 2:03 pm

I live in an apartment with carpet and i need my pup to learn fast to go outside to relieve himself and he was doing fine until he just recently started going all over the place. i feed him at scheduled times and i take him out about twenty minutes after and right after he wakes from a nap, most of the time he goes when i take him out but lately he goes outside and ill stand with him for thirty minutes or so and he just sits at my feet, so w bring him in and sure enough five to ten minutes later he relieves himself. any suggestions on how to train the pup, hes too cute to get mad at. lol
Stand for something or you will fall for anything!!!
MAXIMUS!!!
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » November 29th, 2007, 2:15 pm

Lots of good info in this thread: http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3642

Good luck, and let us know how it goes! :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » November 29th, 2007, 2:18 pm

Don't take him out and let him stand around for 30 minutes...

Take him out...to one spot. Let him roam around, tell him to potty, or empty (whatever word you use). If he goes, praise him a ton (with treats, etc). If he doesn't go back in, and put him in a crate...wait 5 minutes go out again and do the same as before....

He goes out to go to the bathroom. He doesn't get any freedom in the house if he doesn't go. He'll figure it out real fast!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Jenn » November 29th, 2007, 2:21 pm

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/hsetrain.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=157

There you go. :)

Be patient and consistant, and do your best to remember it's always your fault if he goes in the house. ;)
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » November 29th, 2007, 3:30 pm

On November 29 2007, 13:18, katiek0417 wrote:Don't take him out and let him stand around for 30 minutes...

Take him out...to one spot. Let him roam around, tell him to potty, or empty (whatever word you use). If he goes, praise him a ton (with treats, etc). If he doesn't go back in, and put him in a crate...wait 5 minutes go out again and do the same as before....

He goes out to go to the bathroom. He doesn't get any freedom in the house if he doesn't go. He'll figure it out real fast!!!

what she said.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby MAXIMUS!!! » November 29th, 2007, 4:44 pm

thanks for the links and all the info guys and gals. ill keep you posted on how hes doing.
MAXIMUS!!!
Just Whelped

Postby Pit_Bull_Lover » November 29th, 2007, 9:10 pm

I would take Harley out side every half hour weather he was asleep or not unless he just woke up then as soon as he opened those eyes he'd be outside to go potty or 15 min after he ate or drank. He learned very quick that way and I think there was only two times he went in the house and he's only three months old. It may work for you or it may not You can always try or not. It worked with Harley but every pup is different.
SHARON BOREN
Pit_Bull_Lover
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » November 29th, 2007, 9:17 pm

Play time and potty time have to be two different outings in the beginning... and a crated pup will rarely "go" in the crate... good suggestions from everyone... :wink:

Give it a few days, and let us know how he does! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby gayrghts » November 29th, 2007, 9:21 pm

do you have a name for it... for example " go quick quick" "do your business" "go finish"

make sure crate is small enough so that he does not soil in it.... ie only big enough to turn around etc.

keep crated or on short leash attached to a responsible adult at all times...
if responsible person cannot watch him... then he's to be crated...

when he starts to get antsy take him outside...
when he starts to move away from you, ie go off to the corner of the room, or sniff get his attention and or take him outside...

praise and treat all successes...
ignore all messes... (yes clean them up, but don't make a big deal of it.)

do this for 2 - 4 weeks... and the other stuff suggested above and you'll be golden.....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby MAXIMUS!!! » December 3rd, 2007, 11:16 am

maximus has one loaded tank, its almost in possible to tell when hes gonna go. no sniffing, no walking in circles, nothing but walking and squat. i tell him no in a calm voice and take him out but then he just stands there for five to ten minutes and the second i bring him in he lets out. and he actually just started letting out in his cage and its just big enough to turn around in. anymore suggestions. thanks.!!!
MAXIMUS!!!
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » December 3rd, 2007, 11:20 am

He could have a urinary tract infection... your vet could check for that w/a urine sample. Other than that - patience is my only advise... :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby MAXIMUS!!! » December 3rd, 2007, 11:31 am

ill take him to the vet today then, thanks.
MAXIMUS!!!
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » December 3rd, 2007, 11:33 am

On December 03 2007, 10:16 AM, MAXIMUS!!! wrote:maximus has one loaded tank, its almost in possible to tell when hes gonna go. no sniffing, no walking in circles, nothing but walking and squat. i tell him no in a calm voice and take him out but then he just stands there for five to ten minutes and the second i bring him in he lets out. and he actually just started letting out in his cage and its just big enough to turn around in. anymore suggestions. thanks.!!!

I would rule out medical issues...

However, if you rule out medical issues, and he's still doing it...do you feed Maximus in his crate? You could also, temporarily, go one size smaller in crate size...it'll be a little tight...but just to teach him...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby The Diesel » December 4th, 2007, 2:19 am

Trouble peed at mom and dads today, he was drinking tinkerbells water and peeing at the same time. He hasn't peed in the house in a long time so I dunno why. I got this good stuff to clean the messes and get rid og the smell. ill find out what its called.
The Diesel
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby gayrghts » December 4th, 2007, 2:57 am

Trouble and Maximus are local to each other, and owned by friends or brothers right?

if one has a urinary tract infection the other could also.... if you're having unusual peeing from trouble.... you need to look at medical as well...
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby The Diesel » December 4th, 2007, 11:18 am

Hmm never thought of that. The only time Trouble randomly pees is when he is at the parents house. I figured with 3 dogs and 2 cats he was just marking his territory. Dunno, maybe ill take him in for a checkup.
The Diesel
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby katiek0417 » December 4th, 2007, 6:38 pm

On December 04 2007, 10:18 AM, The Diesel wrote:Hmm never thought of that. The only time Trouble randomly pees is when he is at the parents house. I figured with 3 dogs and 2 cats he was just marking his territory. Dunno, maybe ill take him in for a checkup.

Marking is a possibility, but I'd definitely rule out medical issues first. Treating the behavioral issue will be much easier if you rule out the medical one first.

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby MAXIMUS!!! » December 10th, 2007, 6:49 pm

maximus had a trip to the vet and has no medical issues, he is doing a lot better and is learning to go ring the bells on the door. he hasn't used the restroom in his crate for a few days and just started loving it.
MAXIMUS!!!
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » December 10th, 2007, 9:58 pm

Congrats!!
Jenn
undecided

Postby SisMorphine » December 10th, 2007, 10:04 pm

Yay for progress!!!

PS: We need some updated pics of the adorable little man. I just love his face!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Next

Return to Training & Behavior