Weight Pull

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby hzumstein » November 27th, 2007, 11:11 am

:D I have a question. Surprise surprise. I have a 6 month old and I am ready to start training him to weight pull. He is not registered because the people that his mother came from never turned over her papers and they moved to who knows. Anyway. I am pretty sure he can show in the IWPA. How do I get him started and does any body in my neck of the woods know where I can get a pulling harness? Do they ever have competitions around here? If not where? :|
The Zumsteins: Toby, Heather, Toby-Allen, Ellie-Grace, Diesel, Hope, Stormy, Daisy & Lou Lou.
hzumstein
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » November 27th, 2007, 3:34 pm

Your dog is not old enough to start weight pull training. You can put a harness on and get him used to the feeling of it, and maybe 20 pounds or so drag weight, but that's it. He's not done growing and should not be pulling anything until he is.

If he is neutered you'll be able to register him to pull with UKC.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby hzumstein » November 27th, 2007, 4:19 pm

Glad I asked because most of the things I have read said you could start at 6 months. He is not neutered. We are still trying to get him registered.
The Zumsteins: Toby, Heather, Toby-Allen, Ellie-Grace, Diesel, Hope, Stormy, Daisy & Lou Lou.
hzumstein
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » November 27th, 2007, 6:12 pm

For great harnesses: http://www.alaskandream.org/
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby hzumstein » November 27th, 2007, 6:26 pm

Thanks. I should have bought one of those first for the money I have spent on collars for that butthead I could have already bought 2. That is not as expensive as I thought it would be. :P
hzumstein
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » November 27th, 2007, 7:12 pm

I don't think a dog that is still growing should be pulling anything more than low weights. there are many different opinions on that though. Training to pull competitively is a lot of work for the dog.

Bacisally, if there is any chance your dog will "grow out" of the harness, then it shouldn't be pulling.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby hzumstein » November 28th, 2007, 8:58 am

When should I start him? :|
hzumstein
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » November 29th, 2007, 3:33 pm

When he is done growing, I think that's about a year... ask the puppy people on that one though.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Leslie H » November 29th, 2007, 10:35 pm

You can start the training, get the dog used to the harness, walking in a straight line, teaching commands for stop, go and turn, and get them used to the feel of a little resistance. At a year, you can start adding some weight.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby hzumstein » November 30th, 2007, 9:43 am

Thank you. I don't think he is going to get any taller he is short. I think he is going to spread some more, but I can go ahead and get him use to a harness and the commands thanks for all the help.
hzumstein
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby delilahsmommy » December 28th, 2007, 6:17 pm

hmmm..can i get Delilah to pull me on a sled??? i wanna do that:) or is that no good...i think it would be good exercise but i am too big to just plop down and think she can pull me:P
some people just dont get it...
and some shouldnt
delilahsmommy
Loyally Bully

Postby luvmypitties » December 28th, 2007, 6:26 pm

On December 28 2007, 5:17 PM, delilahsmommy wrote:hmmm..can i get Delilah to pull me on a sled??? i wanna do that:) or is that no good...i think it would be good exercise but i am too big to just plop down and think she can pull me:P

I think with some time and training it should be no problem if there is a sufficient amount of snow on the ground. Dogs can pull over a 1000 pounds. It is good exercise for them. Just for fun we hooked Jake to a old go cart and he pulled my brother down the street. That of course was a long time ago...
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Return to Sports