Wildlife in Crisis

Post your pics and vids here.

Postby Marinepits » November 25th, 2007, 6:49 pm

http://www.wildlifeincrisis.com/

Wildlife in Crisis is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization, founded in 1989 to care for injured and orphaned wildlife. Our facility in Weston, Connecticut was donated to us by an anonymous benefactor in 1990, and in the years since we've received an average of 10,000 calls about wildlife every year.

At WIC, the emphasis is on emergency medical care and temporary housing for injured and orphaned animals—not on keeping releasable animals in cages for public display. We run a nurture center—not a "nature" center.

Our habitat protection, wildlife rehabilitation and environmental education programs share the parallel goal of protecting wildlife while improving the quality of life in our community.

Because of the generosity of our supporters we feel it is important to devote ALL funding directly to the animals. No salaries are paid at Wildlife in Crisis (WIC). WIC is entirely volunteer run!

LONG story short -- I had to pick up a fox at WIC today for rabies testing. The poor thing had probably been hit by a car, then some dogs got at it and it died later in the day.

While there, I got to watch some yearlings get fed, then I GOT TO FEED THEM!!! What an AMAZING experience!!! I am still in awe.

Here are some pics of the volunteer feeding the deer:

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » November 25th, 2007, 6:54 pm

That last one is just too cute! :loveU:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » November 25th, 2007, 7:00 pm

Awwww...cute little bambis!

Poor little fox though...:(
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Jenn » November 25th, 2007, 9:48 pm

How sad, yet I imagine amazing at the same time.
Jenn
undecided

Postby luvmypitties » November 26th, 2007, 10:36 am

I love the last picture... with a bit of milk on her face! Too cute!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 26th, 2007, 8:58 pm

So sweet!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » November 27th, 2007, 12:09 am

Look at those long skinny legs!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » November 27th, 2007, 6:58 am

cool!

I recently made a connection with a racoon at work (we take wildlife for our local wild animal rehab place and then they come and pick them up every 12 hrs or so), I found it odd that he was so calm with me so close, until I called to check up on him later and they told me they suspected that he was either very very tame or someone's pet! :shock: At any rate it was really neat, I literally sat maybe 1 foot away from him while I watched him eat his dog food meal in the kennel, he just went about his business in front of me.

This sounds like a really neat place, I love that things like this are active and continue to be so...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » November 27th, 2007, 8:57 am

Yeah, it was REALLY neat. I still can't believe I got to pet them and play with them a bit -- the button buck kept head-butting me in the leg and then would toss his head and run away a little, but he'd come right back and do it again. He had the biggest eyes and the longest eyelashes! He also kept trying to eat the zipper fob on my jacket and he'd make these strange noises, kind of like a sheep's bleat combined with a cow's moo.

They had 9 orphan/abandoned fawns this year and all have been released into the property behind WIC. The three pictured are the only ones that keep coming back, but their visits are becoming less frequent. I feel so privileged that I got to share a bit of their lives.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Return to Gallery and Cinema