Turkey.....good...bad...indifferent?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby BullyVW » January 13th, 2006, 7:15 pm

I had heard that dogs shouldn't eat turkey, but then I noticed that many RAW feeders use turkey necks as part of the diet.

Fill me in here!
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 13th, 2006, 7:17 pm

At the vet where I worked, many of our pancreatitis patients came in around the holiday season, and the culprit was almost always turkey.

I was also wondering why so many folks who feed raw use turkey?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Romanwild » January 13th, 2006, 7:21 pm

Was the pancreatitus casued by turkey or did the turkey just aggravate it?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby concreterose » January 13th, 2006, 7:24 pm

I know people that feed it (I'm pretty sure Pat does) but my first experience with it was awful. I gave Vicki a turkey wing, and the bones splintered something awful. She hacked and coughed and it was an awful experience. I'll never give it to her again. I have a pound of turkey wings in my freezer that I need to give to someone. I've never tried turkey necks though, maybe their better.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 13th, 2006, 7:48 pm

Romanwild wrote:Was the pancreatitus casued by turkey or did the turkey just aggravate it?

According to the vets, caused by it.

Although, I specifically remember one Yorkie that got pancreatitis constantly, regardless of what "people" food it ate, but turkey gave it the worst attack. You think the owners would have learned after the first few attacks not to give "people" food, but.....The dog was eventually put to sleep.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BullyVW » January 13th, 2006, 7:53 pm

Now, is there an inherant difference between cooked and raw turkey, maybe?
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » January 13th, 2006, 8:00 pm

I've been feeding raw turkey for almost a year now, no problems at all from my 3. NONE of the RAW lists I am on have ever mentioned not to feed it. I feed mainly legs but I have fed wings & necks. The turkey parts I get are HUGE.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby turtle » January 14th, 2006, 2:06 am

From what I had read some time ago, the pancreatitis is usually caused by cooked turkey fat and skin. Dogs can digest raw skin and fat pretty well but the cooked fat is bad for them.

We cut the turkey wings off our turkey before we cooked it and I fed them to Fremiet, she was fine with them. Our turkey was not huge, maybe that made a difference? She also got the neck fed raw and chewed it right up. When we cook a turkey, I save out some of the small cooked meat pieces for her dinner but I throw out the fatty cooked skin.
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby luvmyangels » January 25th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Well I thought I was doing a good thing when I fed Cookie some turkey with her dinner after Thanksgiving. What I woke up to the next morning was horrible. :shocker:
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health