Knuckles still urinating in house

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby luvmyangels » March 14th, 2006, 10:24 am

Hi! Many of you have heard this from me before and I have been trying since Knuckles has been 4 weeks old to house train him. I am kind of getting to the end of my rope since I have tried everything with him. He is now 8 months and he just keeps urinating in the house. The other day my brother let him out of the kitchen and he followed him into my bedroom and he pee'd all over the floor. I am just wondering since he knew it was my bedroom he was submissive urinating since it was all over my carpet. But he has been in my bedroom a lot and I gave him no reason to pee on my floor nor would I have. I am just so confused because I have 2 other dogs and they do not do this. I am at the point that this may not be the right atmosphere for him. I am going to get another urine test done on him and go from there. :?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 14th, 2006, 11:10 am

Could he simply be incontinent? Have you tried a belly band?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » March 14th, 2006, 11:28 am

thats what i was thinking too..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Romanwild » March 14th, 2006, 11:54 am

How long was he in the kitchen? Should he have been let out immediatley?

It takes some dogs 8 -9 months to totally get it. It took Dreyfus a full 8 months. s :|
Romanwild
I live here

Postby rockermom » March 14th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Had a dobe who did this if you left the room if she thout you were leaving. Out of fear you were leaving her she was 2 1/2 had Separation Anxiouty. After a while it just got better. Someone else I know has a Beagle 8 months Who pees on the floor. Went from 6 times a day now down to 4. Rocky is 8 months and since 4 months can hold for hours. He does not drink a ton of water though. Best to get it checked again at the vet.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 14th, 2006, 1:48 pm

Took Tess 5 months, and we had her from 10 mo to 15 mo where she just didn't get it. It takes time with some dogs. I agree, have her vet checked, and also keep her out of carpeted rooms. The final thing here was I ripped up the hall carpeting upstairs where she was peeing, and she has not gone in the house in 2 months now. (Holy crap, she is a year and a half old now!-Time flies!)
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby katiek0417 » March 14th, 2006, 1:59 pm

It took my lab FOREVER to "get" potty training. She was 10 months old and still peeing in my house. It took the puppy until she was 6 months old (she understood it before, but had the bladder the size of a pea).

My lab (Sacha) recently started to pee in her crate (she had been crate trained since she was 4 months old even though she still peed in the house). After ruling out other issues such as medical, I took away her freedom. I put her in a smaller kennel, I'd make her stay in the kennel even when I was home...

Even if you don't use crates, you can always use a small room (e.g., bathroom, etc).
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby luvmyangels » March 14th, 2006, 2:32 pm

mnp13 wrote:Could he simply be incontinent? Have you tried a belly band?

I never heard of a belly band but I will read up on it.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 14th, 2006, 2:33 pm

It's just a band of cloth that wraps around the dog so that if he pees it ends up in the cloth and on him. I've never used one, but they are supposed to deter the dog from peeing because they don't like to pee on themselves.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmyangels » March 14th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Romanwild wrote:How long was he in the kitchen? Should he have been let out immediatley?

It takes some dogs 8 -9 months to totally get it. It took Dreyfus a full 8 months. s :|

Before letting them out of the kitchen I always let them out first if I am going to have them in the main area of the house. Just in case there might be an accident with Knuckles. But he was not let out prior to coming out of the kitchen. He was not in the kitchen longer than 20 minutes.

My schedule is as follows: After they eat they go out; after they wake up they go out; after coming out of the crate they go out and before they come out of the kitchen they go out.

I have had several fosters come through here and even one's that weren't able to be potty trained elsewhere trained here within one week.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » March 14th, 2006, 2:42 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:Took Tess 5 months, and we had her from 10 mo to 15 mo where she just didn't get it. It takes time with some dogs. I agree, have her vet checked, and also keep her out of carpeted rooms. The final thing here was I ripped up the hall carpeting upstairs where she was peeing, and she has not gone in the house in 2 months now. (Holy crap, she is a year and a half old now!-Time flies!)

I have already thrown out an area rug because it had so much urination from him on it.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 14th, 2006, 2:42 pm

is your brother the one that was watching him while you were away and gave him the bad habits?? maybe he is afraid of your brother? or maybe he really had to go and couldnt hold it?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » March 14th, 2006, 3:14 pm

Maryellen wrote:is your brother the one that was watching him while you were away and gave him the bad habits?? maybe he is afraid of your brother? or maybe he really had to go and couldnt hold it?

Yes my brother was the one that was watching him while I was away and gave him the bad habits. Knuckles really loves him to death. Sometimes I think Knuckles likes him better than me.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 14th, 2006, 3:19 pm

does knuckles only pee when your brother is there? is he ok when its just you there?? i am wondering if it is submission urination with your brother.. ...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » March 14th, 2006, 7:59 pm

Maryellen wrote:does knuckles only pee when your brother is there? is he ok when its just you there?? i am wondering if it is submission urination with your brother.. ...

No. It happens other times when he is not present. Although there has been a few times when he has been present that he does pee. Once was out of excitement when Knuckles saw him, then the day he pee'd in my room and another time was when him and I got into a screaming match (sorry my brother is 26 and is living in my basement every now and again he gets on my nerves).

I just took a book out of the library on clicker training and there is a section for potty training. I think I will try that and see if it does anything. But I still think I am going to take him back to the vet.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 15th, 2006, 12:31 am

Wally wears a bellyband when I leave him. Basically it makes them sit in their own piss for a while. It deters Wally for the most part, usually I only have to wash it 1 to 2 times a week now.

ETA:
Wally wears it because he marks NOT because he has accidents.
Here's a link to a picture of him wearing one. He hated them at first but has gotten used to wearing one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/ ... lance1.jpg

I wanted to see my cool edited to add emoticon, sorry! michelle
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby luvmyangels » March 15th, 2006, 9:40 am

SisMorphine wrote:Wally wears a bellyband when I leave him. Basically it makes them sit in their own tinkle for a while. It deters Wally for the most part, usually I only have to wash it 1 to 2 times a week now.

ETA:
Wally wears it because he marks NOT because he has accidents.
Here's a link to a picture of him wearing one. He hated them at first but has gotten used to wearing one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/ ... lance1.jpg

Thank you for sharing the information and picture.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 15th, 2006, 9:57 am

:ROFL2:

I was wondering how that got there . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 15th, 2006, 2:56 pm

Sounds like hge just isn't house broken yet and may on top of that be submissive/excited peeing

Is he on a regular potty schedule? If not I'd get him on one ASAP. I'd probably also work on crate training

Ask you vet if you can drop off a urine sample to be tested as well instead of having to bring him in... you can also check his temp as with infection often but not always comes a fever
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby luvmyangels » March 16th, 2006, 5:44 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:Sounds like hge just isn't house broken yet and may on top of that be submissive/excited peeing

Is he on a regular potty schedule? If not I'd get him on one ASAP. I'd probably also work on crate training

Ask you vet if you can drop off a urine sample to be tested as well instead of having to bring him in... you can also check his temp as with infection often but not always comes a fever

He is on what I would think would be a potty schedule. My schedule is as follows: After they eat they go out; after they wake up they go out; after coming out of the crate they go out; before they come out of the kitchen they go out and before going to bed they go out.

He has also been crate trained since he was 6 weeks old. Even though they are loose in the kitchen, which is gated he likes to crate himself because he feels more comfortable in his den.

I will check his temperature too and try to get a sample.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Next

Return to Training & Behavior