Would it be possible to have a protection trained puller?

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby blackdoggy » November 9th, 2007, 11:29 am

I am working on my little girl to pull weight just using her collar and a makeshift cart shes a bit spooked by it but she can pull it around the house with ease. I need to make a harness for her (with out stitching) since shes still growing. The cart I build is around thirty pounds on steel wheels its a little noisy but its working. The next challenge will be trying to find #1 a trainer close to me that works on protection dogs and #2 finding a some one willing to run around with a bite sleeve. She has a great prey drive and likes to jump to get her spring pole toy (its funny watching her fall on her back when she tries to get her toy at the wrong angle) but when she gets it she will hold on and try to rip the toy apart.
Its not the dogs fault you got bit he thought you were trying to hurt me.
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby katiek0417 » November 9th, 2007, 12:09 pm

I know of several pits that cross-train...wouldn't be a problem at all...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby ellie@ny » November 9th, 2007, 3:32 pm

On November 09 2007, blackdoggy wrote:I am working on my little girl to pull weight just using her collar and a makeshift cart shes a bit spooked by it but she can pull it around the house with ease. I need to make a harness for her (with out stitching) since shes still growing. The cart I build is around thirty pounds on steel wheels its a little noisy but its working. The next challenge will be trying to find #1 a trainer close to me that works on protection dogs and #2 finding a some one willing to run around with a bite sleeve. She has a great prey drive and likes to jump to get her spring pole toy (its funny watching her fall on her back when she tries to get her toy at the wrong angle) but when she gets it she will hold on and try to rip the toy apart.

Can I ask you how old is your girl?

I believe it's a great thing to get involved with different things with your dog,a tired dog is a happy dog to me! :)

Now when you start to train a dog in weight pull you shouldn't use big weights,until she's used to noises.First just use a milk jug filled with rocks,she has to get used to that first.That's very important.Then with baby steps you bulid up the weight week by week month by month....Specially with a young dog.
And please do not use collar for weight pulling.If she is still under a year ad has a lot to grow,then I would just wait until she's done with that first,then order a great harness,then start the whole training.

About the protection training.Which direction do you want to go?
PSA SCH FR PP?
When you know what are you interested in,then you just have to look up the main websites for each sports,and usually all the regional clubs are listed there.

I'm training one of my dog in SCH now,she also do WP and conformation.
And I already have new plans for her next year. :wink:
Hope I helped a little bit.
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby katiek0417 » November 9th, 2007, 4:16 pm

On November 09 2007, 2:32 PM, ellie@ny wrote:
On November 09 2007, blackdoggy wrote:I am working on my little girl to pull weight just using her collar and a makeshift cart shes a bit spooked by it but she can pull it around the house with ease. I need to make a harness for her (with out stitching) since shes still growing. The cart I build is around thirty pounds on steel wheels its a little noisy but its working. The next challenge will be trying to find #1 a trainer close to me that works on protection dogs and #2 finding a some one willing to run around with a bite sleeve. She has a great prey drive and likes to jump to get her spring pole toy (its funny watching her fall on her back when she tries to get her toy at the wrong angle) but when she gets it she will hold on and try to rip the toy apart.

Can I ask you how old is your girl?

I believe it's a great thing to get involved with different things with your dog,a tired dog is a happy dog to me! :)

Now when you start to train a dog in weight pull you shouldn't use big weights,until she's used to noises.First just use a milk jug filled with rocks,she has to get used to that first.That's very important.Then with baby steps you bulid up the weight week by week month by month....Specially with a young dog.
And please do not use collar for weight pulling.If she is still under a year ad has a lot to grow,then I would just wait until she's done with that first,then order a great harness,then start the whole training.

About the protection training.Which direction do you want to go?
PSA SCH FR PP?
When you know what are you interested in,then you just have to look up the main websites for each sports,and usually all the regional clubs are listed there.

I'm training one of my dog in SCH now,she also do WP and conformation.
And I already have new plans for her next year. :wink:
Hope I helped a little bit.

Also, just to elaborate....with the jug of rocks...that can often be used in bitesport as a distraction. As such, you really need to introduce it properly...it should never be a bad experience...start with someone shaking the jug in another room....always feed treats, but don't reassure if she shows being scared...just have fun with her...play with her wiht a toy....you can also do it as she's using the spring pole (since it's something she has fun doing)...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » November 9th, 2007, 6:05 pm

Definately do not do weight pull with the weight attached to her collar. You shouldn't really be doing much pulling at all until she is done growing. You may be able to find a used harness that would fit her just to get her used to it, but that's about it.

As for bitework, have she been assessed for the right temperament for it? Comparatively few Pit Bulls are suited for it. Prey drive is great, but not all that is necessary.

Are you interested in Personal Protection or Bite Sport work? They are not one and the same.

Where are you located?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby blackdoggy » November 9th, 2007, 6:53 pm

She is around eight to ten months old (no more puppy teeth) and I am thinking just personal protection for her training, I have been working with her every few weeks pulling a 5Lb window weight. Around here most people look at you cross eyed and wonder what the hell your talking about :| when you mention protection training or bite sport. There is only ONE actual dog trainer here beside the nice lady down at pets mart but from what I heard from them and what I heard from the other trainer they are idiots and a rip off. According to what they said even tho my pup is house broken and knows how to sit and speak she still would need to be in there puppy program where as the lady at pets mart said she would be a class or two ahead of the puppy program and cost less not to mention the smaller classes. I am here in the middle of no where, where the police don't even have enough to feed there dogs and they only own one or two K9's speaking of which would I some how be able to rent my dog to them for special events? So far her temperament is very good to the point a computer case can be thrown in her general direction and she wont take off and actually go check it out as well as meeting new people and demanding to get some loving from them.
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby katiek0417 » November 9th, 2007, 7:03 pm

On November 09 2007, 5:53 PM, blackdoggy wrote:She is around eight to ten months old (no more puppy teeth) and I am thinking just personal protection for her training, I have been working with her every few weeks pulling a 5Lb window weight. Around here most people look at you cross eyed and wonder what the hell your talking about :| when you mention protection training or bite sport. There is only ONE actual dog trainer here beside the nice lady down at pets mart but from what I heard from them and what I heard from the other trainer they are idiots and a rip off. According to what they said even tho my pup is house broken and knows how to sit and speak she still would need to be in there puppy program where as the lady at pets mart said she would be a class or two ahead of the puppy program and cost less not to mention the smaller classes. I am here in the middle of no where, where the police don't even have enough to feed there dogs and they only own one or two K9's speaking of which would I some how be able to rent my dog to them for special events? So far her temperament is very good to the point a computer case can be thrown in her general direction and she wont take off and actually go check it out as well as meeting new people and demanding to get some loving from them.

Where is Chatham, VA?

What do you mean "rent your dog" to the police? Dogs have to be trained specially for police work...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby blackdoggy » November 10th, 2007, 12:41 am

If you know your Confederate history and know where the last town was or are familiar with Dan River fabrics then I am just north of there otherwise check your map for Lynchburg Va. and go south fifty miles. What I mean by rent is try to get my girl to do some (not all) of the things they do since frankly we don't have much here for one to do full time and I figure if I got one they may as well pay me for the once a month or once every six months that they would need a dog. What would also be incredible is to train her (or the lab that poops him self when he spooks him self) to do narcotic searches but I also know things like that are really tough to train a dog to do not to mention nearly impossible to get training aids for.
Basically I would like to get baby trained to be smarter than a fifth grader lol and able to do something besides look good and do dumb doggy tricks.
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby katiek0417 » November 10th, 2007, 9:00 am

On November 09 2007, 11:41 PM, blackdoggy wrote:If you know your Confederate history and know where the last town was or are familiar with Dan River fabrics then I am just north of there otherwise check your map for Lynchburg Va. and go south fifty miles. What I mean by rent is try to get my girl to do some (not all) of the things they do since frankly we don't have much here for one to do full time and I figure if I got one they may as well pay me for the once a month or once every six months that they would need a dog. What would also be incredible is to train her (or the lab that poops him self when he spooks him self) to do narcotic searches but I also know things like that are really tough to train a dog to do not to mention nearly impossible to get training aids for.
Basically I would like to get baby trained to be smarter than a fifth grader lol and able to do something besides look good and do dumb doggy tricks.

Okay, I know where you're at....

You almost always need to send your dog out to get trained in detection. If you don't know the methods, etc behind it, it's close to impossible, and even if you do know the methods, you need to get the materials. Pseudos aren't hard to get, but you need to have a DEA license in order to get the real stuff, and for obvious reasons, they are pretty picky on who they give those out to....Then, police departments need to have them certified. Also, your dogs need to have CRAZY drive to make good detection dogs (we have a dog here getting ready to be sold to Jerry for detection training...as an example, this dog is CRAZY for the retrieve...he'll start barking and carrying on if you don't throw something for him...and he'll retrieve for as long as you are willing to throw the object...we have also already imprinted him on the pipe and the psuedos). If your lab gets spooked easily, he is probably not a candidate for detection. They need to be environmentally stable.

If your pittie gets certified in detection work, you would still have to "contract" out, and you would still have to handle the dog. Which brings me to the protection work. Most jurisdictions will not "rent" dogs for the biting aspect of police work. This is for several reasons, but the main one being liability. If a jurisdiction purchases a dog, it is their dog. If the dog bites someone, there is less of a liability b/c it is assumed that the handler and the dog have a bond, they know the training, etc. Second, it is because you would not be able to "handle" the dog in an apprehension scenario, it would have to be someone trained as a K9 handler, and someone who has a dog with whom it has formed a bond.

As I said, your dog would need to be trained very specifically to do police work...as Michelle said, most pits, even with prey drive, are not cut out to do police work...

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but it may be that your pit is much more cut out for sport work. I have seen many pits title and do well in sport!!! This may be just the thing for your girl.

However, there is a place in Sanford, NC that trains both detection and police dogs. To get a dog in the program there, though, the police department needs to "want" the dog (Jerry mostly sells dogs to departments)....

I can give you the information for that place if you'd like.

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby blackdoggy » November 10th, 2007, 11:32 am

Eh sure lets see what type of numbers were talking about for training. What other sports would this little girl be good at that is not in the normal realm of doggy sports?
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby katiek0417 » November 10th, 2007, 9:14 pm

On November 10 2007, 10:32 AM, blackdoggy wrote:Eh sure lets see what type of numbers were talking about for training. What other sports would this little girl be good at that is not in the normal realm of doggy sports?

You can still do bitesport, if possible...but many pits also excel in agility, flyball, etc...

I know that Jerry is a bit expensive, and like I said, your department needs to express a need for the dog in order for him to do the training (and that's if your dog meets the qualifications)...It's a lot of ifs, I know...that's what we all go through...

I will ask Jerry who you should speak to at his center....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby blackdoggy » November 12th, 2007, 12:42 pm

Well we will see what can be done with this little firecracker worse comes the worst I will try to train her to carry firewood out of the woods for me in a pack lol
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Sports