A weekend in Maine

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby mydawgs » March 13th, 2006, 12:35 am

Lilly and I just spent the weekend in Maine with Chris Fraize. It was one hell of a learning experience. I think it was a turning point for me. I learned that a pit bull can do anything. The obediance I saw from all of his dogs was nothing less than amazing. It is all about understanding your dog, and I learned I have a lot to learn. It truely humbled me and gave me hope. I wish he was my neighbor, but it is a drive I am willing make any time. Any one who feels they need help he is a source that this breed needs and I cannot thank him enough, he is probably going to say..." Oh please..." but he is wrong to say this because he is worth all the praise any pit bull owner can heep his way. Now all I have to do is do what he taught me....everyone cross your fingers for my dogs, and pray I do this right!!!!! And Chris..take a compliment like a man..HA!!!!
mydawgs
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » March 13th, 2006, 12:55 am

:goodStuff:

Chris, April and Megan are great people and excellent handlers and trainers. Demo and I were treated like old friends from the minute we arrived until the minute we left.

I'm not at all surprised that you were amazed by their knowledge and work ethic, we were too.

And they gave me Riggs, so that makes them even better :wink:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » March 13th, 2006, 1:06 am

Sounds awesome :) best of luck with your training!
Jenn
undecided

Postby SisMorphine » March 13th, 2006, 1:36 am

Well that settles it! I'm definitely going to have to go up there!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Blitzkrieg Staffords » March 13th, 2006, 7:08 am

Nice plug. Way to sell him. :wink:
Blitzkrieg Staffords
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » March 13th, 2006, 6:16 pm

Blitzkrieg Staffords wrote:Nice plug. Way to sell him. :wink:

The truth is the truth. End of story. Go watch the Yahoo videos. Talk to some of the people who train with him. He's not God, he's an excellent trainer. I know enough trainers who totally stink, so I have something to compare him to. Now, I don't train with him, but I'm sure that his club members have some stories they could tell :wink: His dog Rumble has an amazing ability to remain in a 'down' and walk forward on just his toes. I'm not sure if that is trained though. :D

If you had seen Connor's reaction to gun fire change from bordering-on-terror to PULLING towards it, you would be amazed too. It took five 3 minute sessions in less than 24 hours.

I also watched him evaluate a dog that was intent on biting him. he started the evaluation with 'your dog is going to bite me, but that's ok and we will work through it.' The dog DID bite him, and they did work through it. Do you know any other trainers who are willing to take the leash of a dog that is ready willing and able to take a chunk out of them? I don't.

:|

just my opinions and observations.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 13th, 2006, 6:17 pm

Where can we find those Yahoo videos?
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » March 13th, 2006, 6:20 pm

there are a few of them in different threads. so a search for 'yahoo' and you'll find them.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 13th, 2006, 6:49 pm

mydawgs wrote:Lilly and I just spent the weekend in Maine with Chris Fraize. It was one hell of a learning experience. I think it was a turning point for me. I learned that a pit bull can do anything. The obediance I saw from all of his dogs was nothing less than amazing. It is all about understanding your dog, and I learned I have a lot to learn. It truely humbled me and gave me hope. I wish he was my neighbor, but it is a drive I am willing make any time. Any one who feels they need help he is a source that this breed needs and I cannot thank him enough, he is probably going to say..." Oh please..." but he is wrong to say this because he is worth all the praise any pit bull owner can heep his way. Now all I have to do is do what he taught me....everyone cross your fingers for my dogs, and pray I do this right!!!!! And Chris..take a compliment like a man..HA!!!!

heheh I'm coming over to get all the secrets from you instead of going all the way to Maine. I'm in NJ too. :P
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby mnp13 » March 13th, 2006, 8:25 pm

Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DemoDick » March 13th, 2006, 8:43 pm

What impressed me most about Chris, Megan, and April was the generosity and hospitality with which they treated everyone. Chris spent so much time helping me with Connor (in addition to everything else) that I felt like I got a two-day, one-on-one seminar. Megan and April were busy working behind the scenes on the tournament, but never missed an opportunity to ask Michelle and I if we needed anything.

Most people in the working/sport dog world are all about "What can you do for me? How can I get something out of this? How can I take advantage of this person?" I saw the TOTAL opposite of that at Punchline. I look forward to more opportunities to attend and support events.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Purple » March 13th, 2006, 9:26 pm

MyDawgs, I totally forgot you were going to Maine!!! I am so glad it worked out for you, you sound so happy!!!!
I hear nothing but positive things about this Chris dude, I hope someday I can attend an event he's at to see it first hand....meanwhile, I will just have to admire thru videos!!!!
I hope you post more, too, I've missed you! :wave:
Purple
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 13th, 2006, 10:40 pm

Thanks for posting those links! You aided me in my quest to be lazy! ;-)

This may be a silly question, but what are they hitting the dogs with? They almost look like wooden whisks...
pitbullmamaliz

Postby DemoDick » March 13th, 2006, 10:48 pm

It's a split piece of bamboo called a clatter stick. It rattles when shaken. Chris also has one made of rattan that basically does the same thing but probably holds up a little better.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 13th, 2006, 11:02 pm

Thank you!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby mydawgs » March 13th, 2006, 11:02 pm

Hey Purple I missed you too......don't get me wrong, Chris has me doing things with Lilly that break my heart. The bottom line is Lilly thinks she is in charge sooooooo, we are starting over, I control everything she does. No off leash time, lots of crate time....but I will tell you this, since friday this dog is starting to understand what I am asking of her, she gets tired with 2 or 3 training sesssions a day of no more than 3 minutes long...her head must hurt from the decisions I am letting her make and then correcting for the wrong decisions. She is happy to go to sleep at night because she is tired. This morning when I left her I cried like the day I left my oldest at her first day of daycare....Chris, Maegan and April tell it like it is, and I have made a lot of mistakes with my girl but I am going to fix them and that is that. All I can say is do it right from the start, when they are puppies, it is easier all the way around. And if you have already made mistakes see these folks for a pretty hard but effective and efficient solution. One day down......
mydawgs
Just Whelped

Postby DemoDick » March 13th, 2006, 11:07 pm

"I'm cold, put a sweater on the dog."

Sound familiar? :)

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby Maryellen » March 13th, 2006, 11:08 pm

mydawgs, did you leave your dog with them to train? or is she with you and you are working on her from the info chris gave you to work on? what was your dog doing that you felt she needed new training? i am curious.. i have a stubborn gsd here..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Purple » March 13th, 2006, 11:10 pm

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction.......you needed this training as much as much as Lily did, you recognized that and took action. I commend you for that. Be strong, my little grasshopper, you are both on a journey, and the end result will enrich both of you!!

:sun:
Purple
I live here

Postby mydawgs » March 13th, 2006, 11:53 pm

Maryellen wrote:mydawgs, did you leave your dog with them to train? or is she with you and you are working on her from the info chris gave you to work on? what was your dog doing that you felt she needed new training? i am curious.. i have a stubborn gsd here..

Demo, how did you peg me so fast????? hee hee

Maryellen, my Lilly was going after any dog she could. She feels it is her job as she does not respect me enough to listen to me when another dog enters the picture, thats because she thinks she is in charge. I did not leave her with Chris, Maegan and April , they worked with me and my husband. My husband did not have a lot of faith in this trip but by the second day he was so in to what Chris was teaching and so amazed by his dogs he bought in to the training Lilly was going to need. Chris has given me a plan to take home and execute and my Husband is now a part of it instead of me doing it alone. I'll tell you what impressed my husband most, after 1 hr with my Lilly she knew going after another dog in Chris' presence was simply not acceptable......he is a natural leader and she knew it right away, it was at that moment my husband, a rather old school pit bull guy was reborn. Interesting, don't you think?

Hey P...weedhopper I am LOL
mydawgs
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk