Chompy Hairball

Post your pics and vids here.

Postby odnarb » March 13th, 2006, 9:25 pm

A couple of pics of Harry from yesterday. It's the first time I've been out to training in a while. We have a new guy that has done decoy work that just joined the club. I'm excited to see what he can do :D

Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby pocketpit » March 13th, 2006, 9:40 pm

Are you going to be trialing him this year?
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Purple » March 13th, 2006, 9:58 pm

What inspires someone to wake up and say, I think I will put a big padded suit on and let big powerful dogs bite me? Shiat, I'd have a huge wet spot on that suit.......and a big poopy one, too......do the teeth ever penetrate the suit? (shudder)
Purple
I live here

Postby pocketpit » March 13th, 2006, 10:04 pm

They often exert enough pressure to leave very nasty bruises through the suit and can on occasion get the right king of bite to leave some punctures or scrapes.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Purple » March 13th, 2006, 10:06 pm

pocketpit wrote:They often exert enough pressure to leave very nasty bruises through the suit and can on occasion get the right king of bite to leave some punctures or scrapes.

WOW.....ok, who out there dons the suit...why do you do it? :|
It has to be scary!!!
Purple
I live here

Postby odnarb » March 13th, 2006, 10:07 pm

pocketpit wrote:Are you going to be trialing him this year?

We shall see. He has a couple of issues that need to be worked on, and I'm not agreeing with the assessment that "knowledgeable" folks seem to have come to. So, I forsee some head butting as to working them out, and we will see how it goes.

Everybody who looks at him from the outside seems to think he has a "Mommy Complex," and he doesn't want to leave me. I don't think it's that simple. I wish it WERE that simple!

I see two seperate issues, a weird neurosis about people other than me touching his leash, and social anxiety. He's hesitant to stay with the decoy at a distance from me, but THAT started happening after my decoy started correcting him to hard for dirty bites when he was a ways from me. That fed into both anxiety issues.

So yesterday, a visiting decoy tried to walk him away, and he had a fit. My regular decoy insists that proves his "Mommy Complex." But, he flips out the second anyone else touches his leash, even if "mommy" is standing right there. It happens the second I pass on his leash. Also, if he was SOOOO dependant on me and unwilling to leave me, I think his recall wouldn't be so crappy :wink:

So, you know. Same old headaches, everybody is an expert, same old stuff :|
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby DemoDick » March 13th, 2006, 10:12 pm

I was just explaining this to a new club member who is learning to decoy.

It is completely unnatural to "catch" a dog in a bite. The normal human reaction is to try to avoid getting bitten. Decoying is acting for a canine audience. You not only have to learn to move in a completely unnatural way, you also have to suppress your normal self-protective instincts. It takes a certain kind of person to let a dog run at them full speed and then actually try to trigger a bite in the upper arm, thigh, or crotch. If you panic or revert to "normal" behavior, you can injure the dog or yourself. Good decoys are worth hanging on to.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Return to Gallery and Cinema