RIP pretty girl

Postby msvette2u » October 28th, 2007, 1:03 pm

Last weekend I was called out to a county call and was told there was a Pit Bull out there growling at people and generally being unsafe.
For those who aren't aware, I'm an ACO and work on an on-call basis.
County only calls when it's a dangerous or potentially dangerous dog.
I brought along a dog crate and the person who found the dog, the resident that is, placed her in the crate for me, and we loaded the crate up.
When I got to the shelter, I was thinking the worst, and it's so dark down there, I just got the crate out of the back and dragged the whole thing into the shelter and opened the door into the kennel run door.
She went in, looked around and then looked at me like "OK, now what!?"
I fed her and left.
Over the next few days I realized that she was a really TERRIFIC dog, a very short, muscular girl with a HOME crop job. Her ears were all but gone.
Despite how much that must have hurt, she was the friendliest dog and I remember thinking that the jerk at the scene fudged and told the Sheriff that she growled, as I could not see her in a million years growling at any human.
However in this area there's no animal control and the only reason the Sheriff would ever go do something about a dog is if there's actual human aggression involved; for those who are "in the know" they will SAY a dog growled as they know nothing will be done otherwise.
Long story short, I am positive this is one of those cases.
So despite my beliefs about a dog or it's temperament, the county has final say and I got the euth. order Friday.
I didn't name her. But I loved her up alot before it was time for her to go.
I fed her some of her favorite treats and sedated her for the final injection. I rubbed her ears nubs as the sedative took effect and she'd wag her tail 10x harder as I petted her.
As she fell deeper and deeper into her forever slumber, I realized the song on the radio was "Only the Good Die Young" and it seemed so appropriate.
As she slept she dreamed, and her legs began to twitch like dogs do when dreaming. My husband (who sometimes assists me) said she's running for the Bridge...are you going to help her get there?
So I did.
RIP pretty girl. You definitely did not deserve to die.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 28th, 2007, 1:43 pm

RIP... :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Moe » October 28th, 2007, 2:31 pm

Ok that made me cry...Sadly she is in a better place...But if she could have had that chance at life...Many say "your job must be tough" and I can only imagine how tough...No matter how long you do it, it always will affect you every time...bless you for showing her love before she went over and giving her the love she probly never knew... :cry:
You laugh because I'm different...........
I laugh cause I just farted!
Moe
The Dog Whisperererer

Postby Malli » October 28th, 2007, 2:43 pm

that WAS sad, and normally these don't bother me.

The worst for me was helping to place a catheter for a dog who was being euth'd because he'd killed another dog that day. The owner had begged and pleaded to have her reg. vet do it. He was a very sweet dog (and this was not his first bite of another dog) and all I could think was that all his stupid owner had to do was contain him a little better and then this would not be happening.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Patch O' Pits » October 28th, 2007, 3:04 pm

Oh my gosh that made me cry! Play hard at the bridge.

I'm glad you could give her lovin' in her final day; she deserved to know love

I'm so sorry :(
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby iluvk9 » October 28th, 2007, 3:43 pm

:( I am sorry, Yvette. But that dog was very lucky to have met up with you, even for a short time.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby cheekymunkee » October 28th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Thank you for being there for her Vette. I could never do your job. Play hard sweet girl. :cry:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby TheRedQueen » October 29th, 2007, 1:50 pm

Poor, sweet girl... :(

I'm so glad you were with her at the end though...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby luvmypitties » October 30th, 2007, 12:10 pm

I am sorry! Poor girl! It sucks having to be the one to help them across but it is better you doing it nicely and in a loving way then the many other ways she could go! Thanks Vette. RIP Girl.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Hoyden » October 30th, 2007, 1:58 pm

Poor Girl.

And people wonder why I'd rather euthanize humans
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Return to Our Departed Friends