@$#&% Ruby broke the end off of her canine

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » March 12th, 2006, 11:26 pm

she has horrible teeth, all of her canines have big chips in them. Her nutrition must have been really bad when they were forming as a puppy.

Tonight I was annoying her, sticking my finger in her mouth and hit something sharp. It was the jagged end of her upper left canine tooth. Lovely. I have no idea what she would have done it on either. She hasn't had a bone or other chew toy today and hasn't had a bone in at least a week.

What's the best thing to do? should I have to ground down to minimize the chance of it cracking or just leave it? She'd have to be put under to have it done and of course there are risks inherent in that.

Ugh.... just what I needed, a few hundred in vet bills.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 13th, 2006, 8:25 am

When mine did it the vet told me to leave it alone, but it was only the tip and not jagged. I'd double check with the vet to be on the safe side
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby SisMorphine » March 13th, 2006, 8:45 am

Yeah I'd definitely check with the vet. I think it depends on how far down it was broken as to what they can do.

Personally with a broken tooth I would have a dentist look at it . . . but that's because I'm crazy anal like that.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Romanwild » March 13th, 2006, 8:51 am

Do you own a dremel?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Marinepits » March 13th, 2006, 9:29 am

I've used an emery board before to take off the very sharpest points, but not on a big crack or break, just the little chips.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » March 13th, 2006, 11:30 am

Romanwild wrote:Do you own a dremel?

Yes... are you sugesting that my dog is going to sit quietly while I run a dremel on her tooth?

:crazy:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » March 13th, 2006, 11:56 am

You could give her a few benadryl :|
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 13th, 2006, 12:01 pm

She's good... but she's not that good. I'd be worried I'd give her a heart attack. I guess I could try it, but if she freaks she'll proably never let me touch her mouth again.

Let me start over...

not a chance. :D
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » March 13th, 2006, 12:41 pm

I was kidding! :D
Romanwild
I live here

Postby odnarb » March 13th, 2006, 1:04 pm

mnp13 wrote:What's the best thing to do? should I have to ground down to minimize the chance of it cracking or just leave it? She'd have to be put under to have it done and of course there are risks inherent in that.

Definately have it looked at by a veterinarian. At best, nothing will need to be done, depending on where the tooth is broken. But if any pulp is exposed, now you have an open conduit for infection straight into the bloodstream, which at worst could lead to organ dysfuncion and sepsis.

BTW, her horrible teeth may not be from bad nutrition as a pup. Like humans, genetics has a lot to do with it, or potentially exposure to certain medications.

Harry has awful teeth, and I expect will be known as "Gumz" in the future. He has extremely weak enamel that is chipping away. I took these pictures when he was less than a year old. They are worse now. I should take some new ones.

Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 13th, 2006, 1:58 pm

Oh that's just terrible.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » March 13th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Hers are smooth with none of the 'crazing' that Harry is showing. However, her enamel is chipped off in long pieces. Also, no matter how many bones I give her to chew on they are gross and yellow. Connor's are nice and clean white. They eat the same food, so that's not the issue.

She's going to the vet on Wednesday. There is about 1/8 inch missing.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » March 15th, 2006, 6:22 pm

It doesn't appear to be a large enough chunk to warrent removing the tooth, but she needs her teeth cleaned so they will look a lot closer when they have her under. I'll have them pull it if they feel it's necessary.

I just loooooove vet bills! :rolleyes2:
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » March 15th, 2006, 6:57 pm

I'm glad you took her in Michelle, and soon she will have pearly whites again! (even if she is missing one, or half :P )

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Jesseca » March 15th, 2006, 8:15 pm

mnp13 wrote:I just loooooove vet bills! :rolleyes2:

Don't we all? :wink:
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby SisMorphine » March 15th, 2006, 9:37 pm

mnp13 wrote: I'll have them pull it if they feel it's necessary.

Just make sure she doesn't end up the toothless wonder that Wally ended up after his dental, which was exactly 2 weeks ago.

17 teeth out.

Yet he still eats raw chicken quaters, bones and all, with a gusto 8)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby litlpitbull » March 19th, 2006, 11:42 pm

mnp13 wrote:she has horrible teeth, all of her canines have big chips in them. Her nutrition must have been really bad when they were forming as a puppy.

Tonight I was annoying her, sticking my finger in her mouth and hit something sharp. It was the jagged end of her upper left canine tooth. Lovely. I have no idea what she would have done it on either. She hasn't had a bone or other chew toy today and hasn't had a bone in at least a week.

What's the best thing to do? should I have to ground down to minimize the chance of it cracking or just leave it? She'd have to be put under to have it done and of course there are risks inherent in that.

Ugh.... just what I needed, a few hundred in vet bills.

I know what you mean. Minnie just snapped her lower incisor. My vet reffered to me to a couple of doggie dentist who essentially wanted my arm and leg ($800-1200) to have the tooth repaired.

I have opted to have it pulled.

Good Luck!
litlpitbull
Just Whelped

Postby BigDogBuford » March 19th, 2006, 11:48 pm

Have the vet look at it. They can keep an eye on it or if it's necessary they can do a root canal. But if you let it go too long, often times it's too far gone to save with the root canal.

Almost all of Clifford's teeth were broken when I got him and they just did an amazing job saving one of his lower canines with a root canal. I'm so glad they didn't have to pull it!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby call2arms » March 20th, 2006, 9:45 pm

My dog has a major chip on one of her canines (you can see the root) because she caught a baseball in full flight... My boyfriend threw it, and he throws hard. Should've known better...

Anyway I caught quite fast and brought Jessie to the vet, he said it was finr and not painful, and to do nothing about it.

We'll check it again when I get her teeth cleaned sometime soon.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Return to Nutrition & Health