help needed

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » March 9th, 2006, 6:30 pm

if you have a mother dog with 2 week old pups whose teeth are just cresting is it normal for her to growl at them when they try to nurse? or could it be mastitis?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 9th, 2006, 6:57 pm

Maryellen wrote:if you have a mother dog with 2 week old pups whose teeth are just cresting is it normal for her to growl at them when they try to nurse? or could it be mastitis?

Is she a young mama. How is her temperament beyond that??
Some females also just do not make good mama's IMO.
I'd have the vet ive her a check just incase. How does her milk look? Are the pups healthy and thriving? Are any clogged or feel hard? How many pups are there? Is mom in good shape?
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Maryellen » March 9th, 2006, 7:04 pm

i told michele28 to post here since she is the one with the dog..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby PITS4LIFE » March 10th, 2006, 10:38 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:
Maryellen wrote:if you have a mother dog with 2 week old pups whose teeth are just cresting is it normal for her to growl at them when they try to nurse? or could it be mastitis?

Is she a young mama. How is her temperament beyond that??
Some females also just do not make good mama's IMO.
I'd have the vet ive her a check just incase. How does her milk look? Are the pups healthy and thriving? Are any clogged or feel hard? How many pups are there? Is mom in good shape?

ZOEY IS 3 1/2 YEARS OLD. She runs from the puppies and tries to hide under my bed. The other day she bought me all the puppies and hid under my bed. She did really fine at first, but now she tries to ignore them. The puppies are getting huge. They are walking around on all fours, no more dragging. They all have their eyes open and sitting up. She has milk coming out of every tit, and it is white. The mom is in good shape, she has gained weight and eats like a horse, she is also given vitamins. She has 10 pups. All of her vet check ups have been good. I took her to the vet because she lost weight bad after the pups. They done all kinds of test on her, ultrasounds, everything came out fine. I guess I will just have to take her back. The vet said the same thing you did, that she just might not be fit to be a mother and gave me some bottles and replacement milk just in case she rejects them.
PITS4LIFE
Just Whelped

Postby PITS4LIFE » March 10th, 2006, 10:41 am

We have also caught her laying on them or sitting on them and we have to force her off of them. She will go over there and wake all the puppies up and then take off.
PITS4LIFE
Just Whelped

Postby PITS4LIFE » March 10th, 2006, 11:05 am

See there she goes again, she gets inside the box lays down to feed them then gets right back up. Her boobs do not look red or anything. Guess I have to get the bottles out and be grandma....
PITS4LIFE
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » March 10th, 2006, 11:13 am

Sounds like she doesn't want to be a mommy. :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » March 10th, 2006, 11:21 am

This is her second litter, right? How was she with her first??
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby PITS4LIFE » March 10th, 2006, 12:10 pm

SisMorphine wrote:This is her second litter, right? How was she with her first??

She was good with her first litter, no problems. But we have major problems now. I called my vet to make her an appt. for her today. She has not fed the pups, so the vet told me to feed them with the bottles and milk she gave me. Well Zoey just got in my face and snapped. She does not want no one around her pups, including herself. She wants them to be totally ignored. We do not mess with them much, only to clean her area and such. I believe she is jealous, she is use to being the center of attention, and now here are these pups.
PITS4LIFE
Just Whelped

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 11th, 2006, 9:29 pm

Was her first litter smaller than this??? Once the teeth start coming sometimes dam's that aren't really willing moms can become less tolrant from what I've heard.

I'm a bit worried though as you said she snapped at you now as well.

another thought:
See if the mama is running a fever. Eclampsia was something that came to mind or maybe some other sort of infection.

have you tried splitting the litter and letting them altrnate for feedings. maybe they are just too much for her altogether

Honestly, if that doesn't work, I'd probably get the pups away from her than at this point until you can get to the vet. keep them warm and together and bottle feed until you can get her checked out mainly because if she is nowq snapping at you and she will not feed them the problem seems to be escalating

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby PITS4LIFE » March 12th, 2006, 12:28 pm

She had 10 pups her first litter to. I have took her to the vet yesterday and they still cannot find nothing wrong with her. We split her litter up 5/5 for feedings, but the vet recommended me bottle feeding. She just does not want the pups. She has snapped at me again.
PITS4LIFE
Just Whelped

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 12th, 2006, 12:44 pm

PITS4LIFE wrote:She had 10 pups her first litter to. I have took her to the vet yesterday and they still cannot find nothing wrong with her. We split her litter up 5/5 for feedings, but the vet recommended me bottle feeding. She just does not want the pups. She has snapped at me again.

Definately bottle feed than and keep them away from her so she can not hurt them or you. I'd also get her spayed asap

I hope the little ones are doing OK

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby PITS4LIFE » March 12th, 2006, 4:32 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:
PITS4LIFE wrote:She had 10 pups her first litter to. I have took her to the vet yesterday and they still cannot find nothing wrong with her. We split her litter up 5/5 for feedings, but the vet recommended me bottle feeding. She just does not want the pups. She has snapped at me again.

Definately bottle feed than and keep them away from her so she can not hurt them or you. I'd also get her spayed asap

I hope the little ones are doing OK

The little ones are doing fine, as soon as I get my digital camera out of the shop I will send pics. She already has an appt. to get spayed.
Zoey has done lost her mind, she went after my 3 year old nephew yesterday who was just sitting on the couch watching a movie with me. She came right up to him and growled then snapped at him. I got on to her and then put her in my room. She is getting to where she does not like small kids at all. My husband said if she does it again she is going to have to be put down, because he will not have a dog that will bite kids. That is just the hard part for me though, because she literally saved my life before. I am just worried about the "next time", she might actually bite next time. I am torn and don't know what to do. First it's the way with the puppies and now this. She growled at the vet to, they had to muzzle her. Vet told me to put her down, before she does real damage.
PITS4LIFE
Just Whelped

Postby rockermom » March 12th, 2006, 4:43 pm

Michelle I am sorry this is happening to you. With you deciding to do the right thing and have her fixed and all, I feel sad that Zoe is acting this way. If she has never acted this way before could she be sick or something? Do dogs go through postpartum or something? You must be up nights.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 12th, 2006, 5:00 pm

Baring any fixable medical issues, I would have to agree with your vet & husband. I would not wait until next time. i wold have her evaluated at my vet's office & if there were no health problems causing this behaviour, she would not come home with me. I am very sorry & i know you are torn. You said she saved your life, it is obvious she is a tortured soul, the best thing you could do for her is to relieve her pain. Again, I am vrey, very sorry.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 12th, 2006, 7:55 pm

:sad3:
Oh Michelle, I'm so sorry. I know you'll make the right choice with Zoe. *hug*
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Maryellen » March 12th, 2006, 9:02 pm

oh no.. michele i am so sorry to hear this about zoey... is it possible she has an infection or something that the regular vet cant find? if not, then i am agreeing with everyone and your husband, you must protect your family and children so that zoey doesnt hurt anyone.....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby PITS4LIFE » March 12th, 2006, 9:11 pm

The vet couldn't find anything infection wise as far as bodily but, she made Zoey an appt. to go see a vet opthamologist Mon. in Greenville. She said that Zoey had an abnormal shine to her eyes and wanted to get it checked as soon as possible. I did not have time to post everything earlier because company came in. I just pray that the can find the reason for this.
PITS4LIFE
Just Whelped

Postby Maryellen » March 12th, 2006, 9:14 pm

until she goes to the vet, keep her away from everyone..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby PITS4LIFE » March 12th, 2006, 9:29 pm

Maryellen wrote:until she goes to the vet, keep her away from everyone..

Oh I know. Since she has gotten like this she pretty much stays in my room where she cannot be bothered. The only time I let her out is to eat and go do her business outside. I have been watching her like a hawk.
PITS4LIFE
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health